Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather

Heiko

Familiar Face
Marketing can take a decent product and elevate it to fantastic status. RRL, Filson, JL Powell, etc all make good stuff. Their marketing puts it above other similar items in quality, yet inferior in perception. Up to you if you buy into it. That's why forums like this are important. To help each other separate the horse from the steer.
Nobody can take away from Good Wear or Aero and others that do things right. Would 99% of all people that see your $1500 jacket know it from a $400 mall jacket? Sadly, most likely not.
So you do it for yourselves. Nobody else except us here cares :)

Agree with everything you say..but what is a mall jacket

RRL, filson--they can be had in malls too.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Would you buy an ugly jacket because it was well made ?

Most people rate aesthetics/design first and then quality. People are attracted by appearance and brand marketing. If the quality stacks up they will buy.

That's not the point you were making. You were making a cynical point about high prices and left out the important ingredient. Quality. As to what is ugly? That is subjective and unanswerable. I find most bike jackets and many military jackets ugly - but just because I prefer a half-belt doesn't mean that others won't have a different view of what's attractive.

Last edited:

andyfalzon

Vendor
On their web site Himel Bros. say they use full grain vegetable tanned leather, http://www.himelbros.com/index.php?p...=heron1929-btn

Are you telling us that this is not correct??

No, I am not saying that.
I read that it's top grain at the website of that San Francisco store that sells his jackets.
We also got samples from the same Japanese tannery in 3 colors. They were top grain.

One must not confuse grain with wrinkles and creases.
I will show you how real grain looks like.
Here, full grain leather against grain of rice.
(now you know why they call it grain!)

IMG_0949.jpg

IMG_0951.jpg

Have you seen anything like this before? I doubt. Most makers don't even go near that stuff because it's too expensive.

scan0025.jpg

If the grain in your leather is big as a grain of sand (and not rice), then you know you got a top grain leather, which is still very good for jackets, just not the best there is.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
That's not the point you were making. You were making a cynical point about high prices and left out the important ingredient. Quality. As to what is ugly? That is subjective and unanswerable. I find most bike jackets and many military jackets ugly - but just because I prefer a half-belt doesn't mean that others won't have a different view of what's attractive.

No I didn't, aesthetics includes an appreciation of quality which is not necessarily a given with price.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
No I didn't, aesthetics includes an appreciation of quality which is not necessarily a given with price.

I see. Well, let's move on then. We have different perspectives. Aesthetics (the appreciation of visual beauty) for me have always sat separately to quality which is often not even visible unless you know about how things are made. Something beautiful may well be poorly made and often is. Hence the aesthetics of the fashion industry (and of pretty movies stars who can't act). Quality - solid manufacturing costs extra. Hence the Himel price. Let's get back to jackets.

I went to Self Edge today in Hollywood to try on some Iron Heart jeans and have a look around. They had a couple Himel jackets which were way too small for me, but I had my son try one on. Must say, I was wholy unimpressed with the jacket (for the price range). The hide was similar to the HH Ventrua I just sent back, and the cut of the jacket was just plain awful. Granted, it was a bit larger than he takes (not in tag size, but in actual fit) and might have looked somewhat better on a bigger fella. The hide and overall fit/finish seemed close to the GW, but I'd say not as good. I was kinda bummed, but that surprised as most of the posts were of pictures and not actual jackets. My expectations were indeed high, and it fell short based on the price level. I will be getting the Ventura for sure now.
PS - The Iron Heart jeans are crazy. I settled on the "Beatle Buster" model in 21 oz selvedge. Have to go back and get them if I can get over the price tag :)

767fo

One of the Regulars
I took delivery of a Heron last month in dark Japanese HH and it was unfortunately too small but the remake should be here next week. I really liked the jacket and the quality was excellent. This jacket is a very nice compliment to my GW Ventura because they are so different in fit and style. The Ventura is my favorite but I would not let either one of them go. I can tell you it was hard to send the Heron back but Dave couldn't have been nicer to deal with. I will post some pics of the Heron when it gets here.

pauleway

Practically Family
I went to Self Edge today in Hollywood to try on some Iron Heart jeans and have a look around. They had a couple Himel jackets which were way too small for me, but I had my son try one on. Must say, I was wholy unimpressed with the jacket (for the price range). The hide was similar to the HH Ventrua I just sent back, and the cut of the jacket was just plain awful. Granted, it was a bit larger than he takes (not in tag size, but in actual fit) and might have looked somewhat better on a bigger fella. The hide and overall fit/finish seemed close to the GW, but I'd say not as good. I was kinda bummed, but that surprised as most of the posts were of pictures and not actual jackets. My expectations were indeed high, and it fell short based on the price level. I will be getting the Ventura for sure now.
PS - The Iron Heart jeans are crazy. I settled on the "Beatle Buster" model in 21 oz selvedge. Have to go back and get them if I can get over the price tag :)
If I payed any more than $45.00 for a pair of jeans I would request the cashier to wear a mask and be pointing a gun at me when I gave them my money!

Abbreviation overload. I DK WTF UR T about!!:eeek:;)(I do really - but some might not - are real words that difficult?)
As I thought, the Himel Japanese HH is the same John Chapman uses. It looked very similar, 'cept brown. Not as consistent in the grain/finish as the Ventura I had, but a good jacket. Just wasn't blown away by them.

767fo

One of the Regulars
Here are a few pics Himel sent me when the jacket was finished other than the button holes. Take my word for it, it is a very nice jacket.
635a8885f34ed2f2c4f54bc9ac46ba27.jpg

afa45c08c772be0492c6e11347c89175.jpg

514a20cc8456a9e301dc4ab2cd2f79c4.jpg

29b9391a2cea61ca8bcebc8b527b1d57.jpg

These are a few pics I took

f3441a1d935c8877b5a99df9ed696ce9.jpg

ef87507897c9bd97f136fe593ee99a2e.jpg

3ffc612e99ea3367c081bc03bc31ed3d.jpg

ad4dcad6bf7060e7a149cf2eb6c03a72.jpg

767fo

One of the Regulars
As I thought, the Himel Japanese HH is the same John Chapman uses. It looked very similar, 'cept brown. Not as consistent in the grain/finish as the Ventura I had, but a good jacket. Just wasn't blown away by them.

I wish we had a Self Edge store around here. I guess Ohio is not a very big market for them:)

I wish we had a Self Edge store around here. I guess Ohio is not a very big market for them:)
Well, while I was there trying things on, many a stylish young man came in and nearly fell down when they saw the prices. I can only imagine being 23 and making min wage or being a student and seeing $350 shirts and $420 jeans!I balked at the jeans when I first was shown them by Will's son at Aero Scotland. I could not imagine wearing 21-25oz denim, let alone paying $300-$450 a pair. But like everything else over time, I've grown to appreciate them for what they are. I think they literally will last a lifetime and I love that they are 37.5" long! A little crazy? Dunno. Is a $2000 jacket any worse? Your Himel above looks nicer than the ones I saw there, but I guess they're just not moving me for some reason I can't quite pinpoint. Not the price as much as something else I can't quite describe...enjoy yours though! I hope you enjoy it Allen!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21