Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Brothers Leather

Ishmael

Practically Family
767fo, beautiful jacket! Really looking forward to (fit) pics when you get the replacement!

(me, like Dr H, also needs the buttons!) (also, would really like to have a Heron in a two tone salute to the varsity jacket....)

767fo

One of the Regulars
Nice, not as fine as the buttoned variant in my view (a little more bland with a zip), but still grand.

The button version is really nice and I have to agree it has more of a vintage look. I have an ELC A1 which i really like. But I thought the grommet zip version in HH might be more practical in the long run.

Last edited:

767fo

One of the Regulars
Well, while I was there trying things on, many a stylish young man came in and nearly fell down when they saw the prices. I can only imagine being 23 and making min wage or being a student and seeing $350 shirts and $420 jeans!I balked at the jeans when I first was shown them by Will's son at Aero Scotland. I could not imagine wearing 21-25oz denim, let alone paying $300-$450 a pair. But like everything else over time, I've grown to appreciate them for what they are. I think they literally will last a lifetime and I love that they are 37.5" long! A little crazy? Dunno. Is a $2000 jacket any worse? Your Himel above looks nicer than the ones I saw there, but I guess they're just not moving me for some reason I can't quite pinpoint. Not the price as much as something else I can't quite describe...enjoy yours though! I hope you enjoy it Allen!

Thanks Scott, I paid almost a grand for Mister Freedom boots, I think we have all lost our minds:)

Thanks Scott, I paid almost a grand for Mister Freedom boots, I think we have all lost our minds:)
Just got some more info on Mr F. I'll go check them out next weekend after I get back from Denver. $1k for boots? I got three pair that were that much :)Mind has been long gone!

Qinhan

Familiar Face
Great shots there 767fo. I really like the lining.

For those that missed the photos of mine that I posted last time:

IMG_3496.jpg

IMG_3498.jpg

IMG_3499.jpg

SLAB

A-List Customer
thats a great fit Qinhan
mind telling me your chest and waist dimensions? I've always wondered whether the Heron will fit nice on my skinny bones since its quite boxy

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Cut looks fine to me - my Type A-1 is more trim, but this is a different kettle of fish and suits the boxier pattern.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
Leather, leather leather, better or best is largely subjective IMO. Comparing on technicalities, that is objective, such as one leather is stronger than another in tensile strength, or abrasion resistance, or accuracy of seams, alignment, symmetry and so forth. Even two jackets of the same model will have differences in all objective measurements to some degree. The subjective measurements such as aesthetics have something to do with how well it fits or looks when worn. There is subjective qualities in a jacket just as much as there are objective qualities in a jacket. Splitting hairs on these is quite interesting but not always conclusive.
I do agree with the comment about a $2000 jacket vs. a 700 dollar one. The $2000 one, if done right (and I've seen some from the highest end/ low volume makes with dimensional mismatch/symmetry issues) will easily trump the $700 one in craftsmanship, design, and/or materials, period correctness, but not necessarily all categories simultaneously. I don't believe money alone buys the best, it is, instead a combination of money, as well as the knowledge to spot the fakes against the far fewer genuine and authentic makes/ repros that make all the difference in achieving the best. I believe that you really have to compare both objective, as well as subjective factors to get a true feel of whether spending the $2K on a low volume, high quality, top shelf jacket is for you. A comparison in the audio world comes to mind. The youth are fully satisfied with IPOD low bit rate audio, but the audiophile from the 70's or 80's know better what Hi-Fi really is and would not appreciate lesser recordings to the same extent as vinyl or high bit rate (approaching lossless) AAD recordings. I think Himel Bros look fantastic and the quality- superb. Are all their jackets perfect? No, Are all their jackets better than the rest? No, Do some of their jackets have quality issues? probably (and I can prove this simply by observing alignment anomalies in some their jackets pictured. These anomalies represent the limit of craftsmanship, even at the highest levels of craftsmanship. Are Himel's creations worth the $2K price? I would say yes, as I compare them with McCoys and others. I am partial to McCoys due to their ability to match the Buco spirit as Buco advertised in the past. For me its about connecting to an era in which I was not born yet. To see into the past in order to help find and build the future. I think its wonderful that there are makers who are passionate to help others who seek the same passions. These makers are creators as opposed to being simply consumers so prevalent in our padded society. YMMV

majormajor

One Too Many
Leather, leather leather, better or best is largely subjective IMO. Comparing on technicalities, that is objective, such as one leather is stronger than another in tensile strength, or abrasion resistance, or accuracy of seams, alignment, symmetry and so forth. Even two jackets of the same model will have differences in all objective measurements to some degree. The subjective measurements such as aesthetics have something to do with how well it fits or looks when worn. There is subjective qualities in a jacket just as much as there are objective qualities in a jacket. Splitting hairs on these is quite interesting but not always conclusive.
I do agree with the comment about a $2000 jacket vs. a 700 dollar one. The $2000 one, if done right (and I've seen some from the highest end/ low volume makes with dimensional mismatch/symmetry issues) will easily trump the $700 one in craftsmanship, design, and/or materials, period correctness, but not necessarily all categories simultaneously. I don't believe money alone buys the best, it is, instead a combination of money, as well as the knowledge to spot the fakes against the far fewer genuine and authentic makes/ repros that make all the difference in achieving the best. I believe that you really have to compare both objective, as well as subjective factors to get a true feel of whether spending the $2K on a low volume, high quality, top shelf jacket is for you. A comparison in the audio world comes to mind. The youth are fully satisfied with IPOD low bit rate audio, but the audiophile from the 70's or 80's know better what Hi-Fi really is and would not appreciate lesser recordings to the same extent as vinyl or high bit rate (approaching lossless) AAD recordings. I think Himel Bros look fantastic and the quality- superb. Are all their jackets perfect? No, Are all their jackets better than the rest? No, Do some of their jackets have quality issues? probably (and I can prove this simply by observing alignment anomalies in some their jackets pictured. These anomalies represent the limit of craftsmanship, even at the highest levels of craftsmanship. Are Himel's creations worth the $2K price? I would say yes, as I compare them with McCoys and others. I am partial to McCoys due to their ability to match the Buco spirit as Buco advertised in the past. For me its about connecting to an era in which I was not born yet. To see into the past in order to help find and build the future. I think its wonderful that there are makers who are passionate to help others who seek the same passions. These makers are creators as opposed to being simply consumers so prevalent in our padded society. YMMV

Whew! Big paragraph overload.

Let's put it another way: "You pays your money - you takes your choice...":D;)

Edward

Bartender
Here's a nice two tone Himel..

himeltwotone.jpg

This is gorgeous. Back when they were still in production, I had considered having Aero run me up a Stuart with A2 pockets, in goat, as a sort of approximation of this style, within my budget. Absolutely glorious.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
This is gorgeous. Back when they were still in production, I had considered having Aero run me up a Stuart with A2 pockets, in goat, as a sort of approximation of this style, within my budget. Absolutely glorious.

Actually, I think there may be something like this on the cards from Aero in April. Don't hold me to that though...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Very nice - I do like the '30s look. Way above what I'd feel comfortable paying though, so I picked up a great LVC Menlo Cossack yesterday on EBay for just over £300.
It's a dark brown capeskin and will complement my ELC as a daily work jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21