Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel Kensington Shinki

@sweetfights, how do you feel about the fit, compared to the Langlitz jackets you had? IMHO those were two of the best fitting jackets I’ve seen on you. This one seems more relaxed/ loose. Not necessarily a bad thing but I’m somewhat surprised to see sleeves that wide on a Himel. The ones I tried on at mildblend...could barely get my hand in them. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts overall, not just on the hide or construction but the fit in particular. I’ve always felt Himel jackets weren’t necessarily a good choice for muscular/athletic builds and I hate to say it, and pardon me for doing so, but your pics kind of confirm that. It’s as if the build was over shot out of fear for being too small.
Please don’t get me wrong, it’s certainly not a bad fit but I’ve seen you in better. Just my opinion.
Edit: according to HB site this is a bespoke piece, so now I’m even more curious as to what information they took from you.

Last edited:

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I appreciate your view, as always.
Yes, most cafe racers look best on slim men, not more muscular types. That is just the aesthetics of lines and curves.
I have never been fully satisfied with how cafe racers fit my build, but I love them regardless. Both my Langlitz fit very well, but in the end, I am balancing between look, fit and leather. As good as the fit I was not completely satisfied with the medium black cowhide from Langlitz. What was missing was the Shinki quality, grain and feel, not to mention that damn intoxicating smell. Such is life; trade-offs. I will say that if I ever get a custom Langlitz again I will go with their "colored cowhide" - I really liked the grain and classic spongy stretch- it was very accommodating in fit and movement and, was the closest thing to my 50 plus-year-old Langlitz.

The Himel Shinki is really exceptional. It has grain and very nice pliability. And the blackness in person is just the deep shade I like and expect. I did very much like the SB Shinki Brimaco Cafe Racer that is now in good hands with a fellow Lounger. The Shinki was different, thicker and also pliable. I think the Beck 666 I have from Good Wear and the above mentioned Brimaco design fits our body type better than the J100 type design. And that is why I am finishing details on the purchase of a Himel Brimaco, minus the cow fur stripe. The Aero Cafe Racer also fits our frames better- we need the broader shoulders and taper to the waist.

In-person the Kensington sleeves fit much closer and better than the photos show. Also, there is a strong taper to the wrist which I love and may accentuate the perception of sleeves that are too roomy. In person when I flex my arms there is no excessive room in the sleeves. My Kensington is also very form-fitting around the chest and back but the pliability of the Shinki compensates and allows me to get away with it. Thicker CXL is not as forgiving and is too restrictive when form-fitting.

Photos can give a really good impression of fit but then there is how the jacket fits when moving, these can be totally different. I received a lot of compliments from fit photos when in reality the jacket fit way too tight when moving around. My size 40 Aero Cafe Racer/Sheene looked good but was way too tight. If I ever get another Aero Cafe Racer it will be size 42.

Pkshfo74036

Familiar Face
That looks like a Himel Pinecrest.
Please take a photo of the rear- does it have gussets?

So here's some pictures including the rear gussets. So anyone have any idea which leather this is?
mmexport1577966634325.jpg
mmexport1577966635979.jpg
mmexport1577966638093.jpg
mmexport1577966677685.jpg

sweetfights

I have only been exposed to the thicker and rather nice Shinki SB used to make my former British Cafe Racer.
I am not sure if Dave Himel uses the exact same as John Chapman and I have not touched Good Wear Shinki.
To date Himel Shinki is the nicest, but I suspect I would like other Shinki as well. The Himel pigment finish is also very nice- the kind that shows patina via earthy undertones.

Pkshfo74036

Familiar Face
It could be his steerhide.

Well I found this online, it's the batch that went to the store I just purchased from, and it's American Chrome tanned Steer hide as you suggested, impressive that you guessed it. I'll admit I was hoping it was shinki, but for the price I paid that did seem unlikely.
Screenshot_20200103_005850.jpg
Screenshot_20200103_005720.jpg

Mich486

One Too Many
If you couldn’t tell it apart from Shinki who cares whether is actually Shinki? :)

It looks like a very nice jacket to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sweetfights

@sweetfights, how do you feel about the fit, compared to the Langlitz jackets you had? IMHO those were two of the best fitting jackets I’ve seen on you. This one seems more relaxed/ loose. Not necessarily a bad thing but I’m somewhat surprised to see sleeves that wide on a Himel. The ones I tried on at mildblend...could barely get my hand in them. I’d be curious to hear your thoughts overall, not just on the hide or construction but the fit in particular. I’ve always felt Himel jackets weren’t necessarily a good choice for muscular/athletic builds and I hate to say it, and pardon me for doing so, but your pics kind of confirm that. It’s as if the build was over shot out of fear for being too small.
Please don’t get me wrong, it’s certainly not a bad fit but I’ve seen you in better. Just my opinion.
Edit: according to HB site this is a bespoke piece, so now I’m even more curious as to what information they took from you.

further- hard to beat Langlitz fit; so many measurements taken. They have it down to a science.
Truth be known, the best looking fit is always the largest difference in chest-waist ratio.

further- hard to beat Langlitz fit; so many measurements taken. They have it down to a science.
Truth be known, the best looking fit is always the largest difference in chest-waist ratio.
I know man. And honestly this Himel isn’t a bad fit. But if I’m being 100% honest...I really do think both your Langlitz and Aero fit better. Although I agree you should go up a size in the Aero. 40” is too small.
I’d be curious to see what shakes out with the Brimaco. I really do think that’s the Himel to have. As a Canadian he should know that pattern to the nuts.

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
I know man. And honestly this Himel isn’t a bad fit. But if I’m being 100% honest...I really do think both your Langlitz and Aero fit better. Although I agree you should go up a size in the Aero. 40” is too small.
I’d be curious to see what shakes out with the Brimaco. I really do think that’s the Himel to have. As a Canadian he should know that pattern to the nuts.

The Brimaco has become my “if money was
no object” jacket. I’m curious to see how Sweet’s turns out!

The Brimaco has become my “if money was
no object” jacket. I’m curious to see how Sweet’s turns out!

It’s a rare one too. Not seen too often at all. I’m surprised. Anyone who has ever owned an original knows it’s one of, if not the best, vintage CR pattern.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner