Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel website updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I patronize Himel jackets because of the following factors, details and attributes (in no particular order):

1. Shinki HH: I do NOT believe that Shinki is “the best” leather. Rather, it is my personal favorite. I like the weight, feel and drape of Shinki HH -- much more than any other HH. Shinki HH achieves a balance of weight, thickness, durability and drape that works perfectly for me. I have yet to come across a HH that better satisfies my personal preferences. Vicenza is the closest, but I much prefer Shinki HH. Very few manufacturers offer Shinki HH.

2. Stitch count: Himel jackets employ a higher stitch count than certain other manufacturers. I do NOT believe that higher stitch counts are “better” or “necessary” for a robust, durable jacket. Rather, I simply prefer the look of the tighter stitching. It is merely an aesthetic preference.

3. Stitch precision: In my experience, Himel jackets have very precise stitching. Not all manufacturers have equally precise stitching. As with the stitch count, this is purely an aesthetic issue, unrelated to the durability of the jacket.

4. Top stitching: Himel jackets employ interesting top stitching that I really like. Certain other manufacturers do not use similar top stitching.

5. Seams: Himel jackets employ a method of seam construction (I forgot what it is called) that results in a flat joint, as opposed to an overlap (not all seams – only some). Certain other manufacturers implement this same style seam, but in my experience, Himel often executes the seam more effectively, and he appears to use this seam more often than certain others. Again, this is purely an aesthetic issue unrelated to the durability of the jacket.

6. Details/precision/symmetry: For example, on café racers from certain manufacturers, the collar snaps are not precisely located equal distances from adjacent seams. Rather, many collar snaps overlap one seam, or are much closer to one seam than another. In my experience, Himel pays great attention to details such as this, and his construction is very precise and symmetric. Not all jacket manufacturers implement equally precise construction.

7. Design/cut: I like the design and cut of Himel’s jackets.

8. Customization: Himel will fully customize all aspects of his jackets.

9. Old-world, artisan methods and equipment: Himel’s production methods and equipment are similar to that implemented by leather craftsmen of years past. I respect Himel’s approach and its legacy. It adds an element of character and backstory to the jacket. I am not suggesting that these old-world methods are superior.

Himel certainly has not cornered the market on any of the foregoing details. Other jacket manufacturers offer elements of the foregoing, in different combinations. That said, Himel he has successfully integrated these various details, and others, in a combination and manner that I personally find appealing and prefer.

To be clear, I am not suggesting that any of the foregoing details should be perceived as important or meaningful by anyone else, or result in a better jacket, or are worth the incremental price difference. Rather, I am merely stating my personal preference, and the basis for my preference. These details are worth the additional price TO ME. I certainly understand why these details are not worth the additional price to other people.

In the end, it is entirely a matter of personal preference and perceived value. Would I pay $5,000 for a Himel jacket. Absolutely not. Thus, while I value the attributes of Himel jackets, there is a limit to what I will pay for these attributes. Everyone’s limit is different. Likewise, everyone’s perception of the attributes, and whether they are meaningful or beneficial, is different.

As jacket enthusiasts, we inevitably focus on details that elude the average consumer, and that the average consumer could care less about. IMHO, this is entirely normal, and part of the enjoyment of being an enthusiast of a particular product. Enthusiasts enjoy learning about obscure details that distinguish products from one another – details that 99.9% of the population have no knowledge of, and don't care about. Whether it be accuracy of reproduction, zipper design, or leather tanning, the overwhelming majority of the discussion on this forum centers on obscure details. Our collective interest in these details – with different focuses, and to varying degrees – is what defines us as enthusiasts and differentiates us from the average consumer.

All of the jackets we discuss here are outstanding and will last a lifetime. We are fortunate to have so many stellar options.

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I buy BR because they are accurate reproductions of the real thing. Alpha jackets are not.

You pay considerably more (3x?) for a BR jacket, as compared to an AI jacket, because the BR jacket is a more accurate reproduction of the original. Makes perfect sense to me. Accuracy of reproduction is a paramount consideration for you. That is your focal detail, and you are willing to pay for this detail. I get it.

I personally do not emphasize accuracy of reproduction. It is not an important consideration to me. As long as the jacket is generally representative of the original models, with sufficient style similarities to convey the heritage, that is fine for me, and the more obscure details underlying accuracy are irrelevant. Thats my personal preference.

Nothing wrong paying materially more for a jacket to achieve greater accuracy. Likewise, nothing wrong paying more for other details.

himelator

Vendor
So, I have read through the entire thread. Normally as you all know I don't really like to respond to the FL due to the fact it seems rather pointless at times. I do enjoy that I spark so much controversy and animosity among some members as at least people are talking and interested. Regarding the new website, I haven't announce the launch yet because we have been working for 3 months on the content. It is rather extensive and I realized that in 8 years I have not produced every combination and permutation of my jackets and don't have images yet for everything. Also we have textual, editing and content errors. Shopify has very serious limitations and I had to hire a developer to get around them to build a customizable platform and we are still working out the kinks. I have some oversights like "contact info" which we are addressing as we speak and of course all the customer testimonials, shop lists blog etc...as you can imagine my shop consists of me, and my two person sew team, and now my web guy....so not a lot of labour pool here. My team makes a living wage etc..etc.. blah blah...and as per usual I am not going to address why we price the way we do but we make fully bespoke jackets as my customers will tell you. They will also tell you I have remade jackets entirely when they felt they were not "right"..you google bespoke anything and go see whats out there. Regarding the old models, I will still make them, but by offering fewer options on the front page of the website it is less confusing for my new customers and helps the decision making process, also I chose the top selling jackets that I make. Regarding more cost driven jackets, we will be offering "non bespoke jackets" at a more competitive price through presales going forward in the future. This will allow me and my retailers to not compete with each other, and give opportunities for purchase at different price points. All of this is new to me so I am working on new ways to market and sell my products across the range. Simply lowering price points and still offering bespoke services was untenable. Going forward I will be developing new clothing lines and collaborative projects, some will be presales some will be stock items...I have not worked out logistics because I am spread fairly thin. However I am working on branding and development and the base platform is the new website. Currently I am working on collabs with Viberg and various other brands but we are testing the new site and perfecting the platform first. I will say I find the bickering back and forth about brands and quality extremely humorous, it is clear to me that many on the Lounge will not be part of my brand, but at least have the respect to realize I started this with nothing in 2008, researched and developed these guys and made my first jacket in 2010 and have managed to stay in business for 8 years now. My goal was to build life changing jackets, that my "tribe" of customers would have experiences that they would never have had without wearing one of my labours. I have tried not to compromise that set of values and the feedback i get is almost consistently 100% positive from my customers which is pretty rare. I price the jackets in order to run a sustainable fair trade, environmental company that doesn't compromise the product or those values and gives me room to grow. I want to teach the trade to younger people and need the cash flow to grow my team. 100% of my effort goes into those goals, in spite of whatever petty notions people may ascribe to what we do over here. I rent an apartment, drive a 2010 vehicle and live like a working person. If I get insanely wealthy from this project you will be the first to know. I respect each and everyone of my customers because every single jacket buyer lets me continue this little dream into the next year. So keep that in mind...every brand has their internal set of goals, mine has never been about "money" and unfortunately that is why things cost what they cost, I could compromise a million different ways to make a cheaper and cheaper product but I will not. So please enjoy your jackets from your various brands, to my customers like Craig I say thanks, to my detractors...well you won't get to hear what I mutter..hahaha...and to those who actually understand the nuance of the industry and small companies...I salute you wherever you are... :O) maybe I will post again in 6 months, after I start rolling out new ideas, designs, and projects

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
@himelator, don't mind the haters. People and their opinions ultimately matter far less than people and what they accomplish. You're a guy who went from admiring old leather jackets to making some of the best in the world.

How many in this thread can say that? Only you. Much respect, and thanks for what you do.

Website is looking great. Compare to the other makers we discuss here, and it's the nicest of the bunch.

I'm glad to hear that you're still offering the other models and to hear about your plans for the business. I'm excited about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy