Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Himel website updated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Himel Bros. updated their website recently. I don't know how recently, but they REALLY did a nice job with it. All the leather, lining, etc. options are now illustrated, so you can actually see what your selection looks like, rather than pick a text label from a pulldown list and then cross-reference to another page with a picture, and hope that you keep it all straight.

Very nicely done, hats off to the web developers who designed this.

Sadly, it looks like they've dropped a lot of models, opting to simplify the offerings to fewer models, obviously the ones Himel feels are their best ones. But considering the size of their operation, that's pretty understandable. Better to be specialized and be the best you can be than to try to do it all.

I agree, very well executed. The photos and product descriptions are extremely useful. There isn’t a better web page in the industry that I can recall.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I think it's a shame he got rid of the weird racing shirts and all the weird models he used to have.
I really liked the fact he had such a wide variety on his site.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I didn't. After looking at the prices several years ago..I tuned it out.

Yeah - that's for sure. Staggering prices. But I don't think these are primarily for leather jacket wearers - they are for leather jacket collectors, those of the cognoscenti who want a high-end, cultural artefact with up market hipster overtones. Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

Curiously, I just bought a Carhartt Detroit in black cotton duck and it ticks most of the boxes as far as a robust jacket you can wear changing the oil of your car while looking pretty cool. I like work wear designed for work. But some of the Himels are pretty.

I like that his wallets have a zipper pocket for change!
I think it's good that he's honed in on the designs he's known for...the bags...well...they don't seem as special to me.
Glad he finally got the updated site. Looks great.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Much better site. I guess he decided to jettison the "cheaper" jackets he started selling that were made with steerhide and goatskin. They seemed to be a new line and it seems odd to eliminate that line so quickly.

Seems like he is using his connections to "push-out" into other areas. Looks like he wants to grow the brand, which is logical. Unfortunately he is starting in the way over-saturated and boring t-shirt/sweatshirt demo. With DH's experience, knowledge, and contacts, I'd expect more of a Mister Freedom/ Fortela line-up. The current offerings distract from the leather jackets IMHO. I much preferred his foray into boots.

willyto

One Too Many
I must admit that I'm disappointed at the disappearance of the racing shirts and the other niche styles. The racing shirts were the best models in my opinion, no one did that style and were unique. All I see now are mainstream styles done by everyone except for the Wolverine and the Chevalier.

I'm not impressed at the watch caps with logos , the sweatshirts or the tees with logos. Why does everyone feel the need to put logos everywhere? If there are logos I'm not buying it, period. The price of the tees are decent!

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But I don't think these are primarily for leather jacket wearers - they are for leather jacket collectors, those of the cognoscenti who want a high-end, cultural artefact with up market hipster overtones.

Seb,

I have always enjoyed your well-reasoned, respectful posts. As such, given your awareness that several TFL members own Himel jackets and hold the brand in high esteem, I am disappointed that you would post pejorative and inaccurate generalizations about those who own the jackets. How many Himel jacket owners have your surveyed in order to conclude that they are not real leather jacket wearers, but rather, hipsters collecting cultural artifacts? Please share the empirical data supporting your sweeping pronouncement.

@Mysteryo, @Carlos840, @SpeedRcrX and @Boyo all own Himel jackets -- just to name a few. Are they all hipster collectors as opposed to real leather jacket wearers? In my experience, Himel jacket owners are generally men and women who are informed and knowledgeable about leather jackets, appreciate leather jackets incorporating outstanding leather and artisan craftsmanship, and wear the hell out of their jackets. I personally wear my Himel jackets as often as I possibly can, even when the weather does not warrant it (to my wife's great amusement), and I certainly didn't buy the jackets as cultural artifacts. To the best of my knowledge, @Mysteryo, @Carlos840, @SpeedRcrX and @Boyo also regularly wear their Himel jackets.

Its one thing to state that Himel jackets are "overpriced." That is a debatable, subjective opinion. On the other hand, it is an entirely different thing to outright disparage the owners of the jackets. How would you feel if I posted that owners of XXX jackets -- which happens to be your personal favorite -- are uninformed, cheap bastards with no concept of quality who waste their money on palpably inferior jackets. That would not be cool. More to the point, it would be disrespectful and inaccurate. IMHO, ad hominem generalizations about owners of particular brands have no place on this forum.

You are better than this Seb. Even though we patronize very different brands (although I have been wanting a brown Carhartt Detroit for a long time, but have concerns about sizing), I have always respected your even-handed approach and acceptance of those with different perspectives. That is why I was particularly surprised by your above-post.

Now I understand why Dave hates this forum and rarely participates. Its a shame because he has a tremendous amount to contribute and, if he was not such a target of animosity, he might post here and we would all benefit from his wealth of knowledge.

The bottom line is that Himel jackets are not for everyone. They ain't cheap and, as I have acknowledged countless time, they are priced far beyond the point of diminishing returns. Nevertheless, the owners of Himel jackets deserve the same respect as owners of Aero, Schott and Vanson jackets. Nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Seb,

I have always enjoyed your well-reasoned, respectful posts. As such, given your awareness that several TFL members own Himel jackets and hold the brand in high esteem, I am disappointed that you would post pejorative and inaccurate generalizations about those who own the jackets. How many Himel jacket owners have your surveyed in order to conclude that they are not real leather jacket wearers, but rather, hipsters collecting cultural artifacts? Please share the empirical data supporting your sweeping pronouncement.

@Mysteryo, @Carlos840, @SpeedRcrX and @Boyo all own Himel jackets -- just to name a few. Are they all hipster collectors as opposed to real leather jacket wearers? In my experience, Himel jacket owners are generally men and women who are informed and knowledgeable about leather jackets, appreciate leather jackets incorporating outstanding leather and artisan craftsmanship, and wear the hell out of their jackets. I personally wear my Himel jackets as often as I possibly can, even when the weather does not warrant it (to my wife's great amusement), and I certainly didn't buy the jackets as cultural artifacts. To the best of my knowledge, @Mysteryo, @Carlos840, @SpeedRcrX and @Boyo also regularly wear their Himel jackets.

Its one thing to state that Himel jackets are "overpriced." That is a debatable, subjective opinion. On the other hand, it is an entirely different thing to outright disparage the owners of the jackets. How would you feel if I posted that owners of XXX jackets -- which happens to be your personal favorite -- are uninformed, cheap bastards with no concept of quality who waste their money on palpably inferior jackets. That would not be cool. More to the point, it would be disrespectful and inaccurate. IMHO, ad hominem generalizations about owners of particular brands have no place on this forum.

You are better than this Seb. Even though we patronize very different brands (although I have been wanting a brown Carhartt Detroit for a long time, but have concerns about sizing), I have always respected your even-handed approach and acceptance of those with different perspectives. That is why I was particularly surprised by your above-post.

Now I understand why Dave hates this forum and rarely participates. Its a shame because he has a tremendous amount to contribute and, if he was not such a target of animosity, he might post here and we would all benefit from his wealth of knowledge.

The bottom line is that Himel jackets are not for everyone. They ain't cheap and, as I have acknowledged countless time, they are priced far beyond the point of diminishing returns. Nevertheless, the owners of Himel jackets deserve the same respect as owners of Aero, Schott and Vanson jackets. Nothing more, nothing less.

All i can add to this is that you should just get one size down from your regular size for the Detroit jacket.
They are pretty big in the shoulders and long in the arms, a Medium fits me great.

zebedee

One Too Many
I think some of those designs are amazing, but those prices are high. Having said that, though, I also won't go much north of about 650 GBP for a jacket from anyone these days. I'm pleased that I seem to have tamped down the jacket-itch recently. If you can afford a Himel, then more power to you. They look like wonderful things.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am so happy that I know when my price limit is breached. Sanity descends.
That is my feeling as well, although I don’t know I would go so far as to declare myself sane...
I think the new website is very accessible, and for the first time I found myself really considering buying one of these beautiful jackets. Ironically the model that really caught my eye was the Nyla short until I read that this design is based on early women’s motorcycle jackets!

Reactions: MET
Seb,

Could the same not apply to any of the jackets posted in https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...t-all-warning-not-for-the-fainthearted.85462/ ? :3

I think people are put off by the price more than by anything else. At some point, price stops making any sense and it just shifts the maker into, I dunno, Versace territory.

But yeah, there's nothing wrong with Himel's prices. Yet.

Corky Corcovado

Practically Family
@Superfluous you are very eloquent! With your latin and such I'd guess you are a lawyer! If I could afford it I'd buy a Himel Wolverine right now and proceed to wear the hell out of it. Their jackets are just so beautiful and well crafted, honestly it seems worth the price. Like many Japanese brands you gotta "put some skin in the game" (not sure that's the correct expression).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy