Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hippodrome Hatters? www.hiphats.com

Michaelson

One Too Many
I've dealt with them. The owner is (I guess he still is) Lou Boulmetis, and he's a good man to deal with. They are still a hat store that deals with seasonal sales, as well as the Jewish communities in their orders for felt hats.

It's been a while since I've talked to Lou or had him do any work for me, but for a while there he did all my reblocking work.

Regards! Michaelson

Michaelson

One Too Many
Not much changes there. They put out their Spring line up at the end of winter, then put out their winter line up at the end of summer. The same thing sells year after year, so unless the store burns down, why change it (so Lou told me years ago. (grins))

Regards! Michaelson

KObalto

One of the Regulars
They sell

Stetson and Dobbs and a house brand (no doubt made by Hatco). They're supposed to do blocking and cleaning (the original store was Hippodrome 1-Hour Hat Cleaners, run by the current owner's father) but when I asked about having a hat reflanged, he told me to bring it in September 08 when he would have the necessary equipment. I wore my Art Fawcett in the first time I went in. The owner started lecturing me on the superiority of fur over wool and reached out and touched the brim of my hat. He pulled back and said "Ooooh, that's a really nice hat".

epic610

One of the Regulars
I called them a few times.....

and was rather rudely told that they will not do any business over the phone or over the internet. if i wanted to buy a hat . . . which i did ....the only way was for me to go to Baltimore.

i explained that i lived 3 hours away in pennsylvania, but they absolutely refused to put a hat in the mail to me.

advice: go to Bencraft instead; you'll have your hat delivered within 48 hours.

Michaelson

One Too Many
WOW! Old Lou has sure gotten crotchity as he's gotten older! :(

He used to LOVE to talk shop on the phone, and almost all his outside sales were via internet! That's how I found him in the first place, though I haven't used his services for many years now.

Regards! Michaelson

KObalto

One of the Regulars
Relax

Solid Citizen said:
Heads up to FL members if you go into that area watch your step!!!

Solid Citizen :rolleyes:

Maybe you haven't been to that area in awhile. They moved a block closer to downtown and the city has been pouring money into a revitalization of the area. The Hippodrome Theater around the corner has been beautifully restored to something like its former 20s grandeur and stages sold-out road shows of Broadway productions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn