Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hipsterless Brooklyn: Vintage Photos From A Vanished World

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Ebbets Field (corner of Bedford Av and Sullivan Pl) today:

dsc06108.jpg

kinnard_1.jpg

Bleh.

JonnyO

A-List Customer
I wanted to see what these locations looked these days for myself, so I went to my handy-dandy Google Earth and looked up all the locations. I took screenshots of each to show, hope no one minds that these aren't actual photos. I tried to take the screenshots from the exact location of the vintage photo.

Flushing, Graham, & Broadway.

Middagh & Hicks

Seigel near Humboldt

City Veterans Housing is now the Bayview Housing Projects

Eastern Parkway & Utica Avenue

Grand Army Plaza

Gowanus Canal

Moore near Graham

Summer (Marcus Garvey Boulevard) near Myrtle

Broadway & Lynch

Some great photos here. I'd love to see comparison photos of what these spots look like today.

http://life.time.com/culture/hipsterless-brooklyn-vintage-photos-from-a-vanished-world/#1

Great photos - thank you for posting. The trolley car (second photo) is a loss that, while I understand the economics behind it (the mid-century push for individuals driving automobiles and population shift to the suburbs, amongst other reasons), had they hung on, could be having a renaissance today as cities look to reduce automobile traffic and move toward bicycle and intra-city mass-transit. Also, they are just so darn cute. To some extent, an echo of them is coming back as some cities are putting light rail in - Jersey City, NJ for example and, while that one is not vintage in look, the feel of waiting for a rail-based vehicle to move you within the city has a vintage feel (the few times a year that I'm in JC, I try to find a reason to use it).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland