Hipsters, tourists, and "artisinal" devil crabs...

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by HudsonHawk, Aug 22, 2017.

1. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Or peanuts (which I know and respect is real and dangerous to those who have it). It is just amazing how quickly these allergies popped up and how wide-spread they are.

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

These urban lumberjack types are all over the place around here, and it's really obnoxious -- this is a state where real, actual lumberjacks live and work, but the only wood these other guys have ever handled is...oh, never mind.

3. I have a few tight fitting suits. But not because I'm skinny.

4. In defense of gluten free, my sisters, particularly my younger sister, are both legitimate coeliacs (diagnosed by actual trained physicians from an intestinal biopsy, not from an article in People) and cannot eat gluten. In fact, my younger sister was in serious condition for quite a while and had to be hospitalized several times until they figured out what it was. Gluten free has been a godsend to her, even if people roll their eyes and assume she's some new-age hipstress.

Bamaboots likes this.
  5. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

So true. Celiac disease has hit epidemic proportions.

6. Along those lines...here in Texas, we have plenty of real working cowboys, but also more than our fair share of the drugstore kind too. A cowboy you say? You live in a downtown loft and drive a Prius.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  7. Angus Forbes

Angus Forbes One of the Regulars

Gotta love the Fedora Lounge, even if I don't understand all (or much, or maybe even any) of what goes on. Where else could one find people whose playclothes are vintage patronize others whose playclothes are lumberjack, cowboy, or hipster? :)

8. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

No one has criticised actual lumberjacks or cowboys, just the poseurs.

Hipsters, on the other hand, are in season 24/7...

Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  9. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

A lot of health problems cleared up for me when I stopped eating wheat.

BUT, since I'm not as sensitive to it as someone with celiac, I don't request gluten-free meals in restaurants. It's a lot of work for them to sterilize cutting boards, utensils, etc.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. That's because the grandkids aspire to corporate cubicle dweller jobs with a generous benefits package. :rolleyes:

Zombie_61 likes this.
  11. ChrisB

ChrisB A-List Customer

Yep, it tastes like soap to me as well. I have heard that it's a genetic trait.

MisterCairo likes this.
  12. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I've worked in a kitchen and I've worked in lots of cubicles. I'll take the cubicle.

V.C. Brunswick likes this.
  13. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

I suspect that few among us are so costumed as all that. Still, I've occasionally found myself rolling my eyes at a guy who will obsess over the type of zipper in his leather jacket simultaneously ridiculing some relative youngster for his seemingly excessive concern over his hair style.

I got a LOT of old clothes. And I have several pairs of cowboy boots. Got a lotta Chuck Taylors, too. Them's just my duds. People will think what they will about that, although I question why anyone would give it much thought at all.

Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  14. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

We get everything first, and then it dribbles out to the rest of the country. :D

Zombie_61 likes this.
    Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  16. scottyrocks

scottyrocks I'll Lock Up

When I was a kid, the closest thing I got to a mon-n-pop style food was the Woolworth's lunch counter. Good simple food at a fair price (for the day).

When I was a kid, I thought vegetables literally came in cans. I didn't see a fresh vegetable until I was in double digits. When a late-teens girlfriend made us a dish of fresh broccoli for a home-cooked dinner, it was a revelation.

These days, I think, at least around here, the closest thing to simple food at a good price is the diner. But this is Long Island, a creatively constipated place if there ever was one. There are lots of artisan restaurants popping up everywhere (a quick note here about our geography: in most places in the country that aren't cities, towns are spaced some distance apart with lots of land in between. Long Island is a series of towns, but you'd be pretty hard pressed to tell where one ends and another begins. The result of this is almost an unlimited number of mainstream businesses of every sort, which results in lots of repetition) and most of them that I've been in (which is not a huge very many) feature gussied up versions of dishes that most of us have eaten for years, along with correspondingly much higher prices.

Another side effect of this restaurant food specialization is the corresponding liquor specialization. If you go into a nouveaux Mexican restaurant, for example, you can get any number of fru-fru drinks with any of 9 dozen tequilas (at correspondingly inflated prices), but God help you if you'd like a vanilla vodka and soda.

One mom-pop of note, local to me, is the International Cafe in Bellmore. Literally family run, great quality food, a large gelato counter, and cash only. The interior looks like an eatery right out of my childhood.

And then there are the more-upscale-than-fast-food chains. I'm hard-pressed to find a better array of tasty more-or-less traditional dishes than the fare at Houlihan's, and they're resonably priced. And the one in Farmingdale is better than the one in Roosevelt Field, for example. TGIFriday's used to be better, imho.

And just about every ethnicity of food has a chain, as well as a string of growing artisinal independents. The main differences are how over-ingrediented the food is, and the prices, not to mention the staff 'uniforms.'

Most traditional restaurants have a basic serving uniform - usually some combination of black and (sometimes) white, arranged in a way that looks like what a server would wear. Artisinal servers? Their 'uniforms' could be just about anything, and usually the scroungier the better. T-shirts, ragged shorts, (canvas) sneakers, or sandals.

Lately all the men (boys) with long-enough hair have it up in a man-bun. Not a pony tail in the back of the head, but a bun on top of the head. Many are scroungily unshaven. It's all part of the atmosphere of the place, or so I'm told. So casual that it hurts (to look at).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Zombie_61 and Bamaboots like this.
  17. There was a mom and pop burger place near me that we used to eat at. It was my dad's favorite place. A few years ago the owner, a Greek guy who owned the building, was offered $5 million for the property by 7-11 but turned it down. But recently the burger place closed as he had apparently retired and had either sold or leased the building to a dental clinic.

As for eating cheap my go to places are the food court at Sam's Club where you can get a large slice of pizza, equivalent to two slices, and a large drink with refills for $2.49 and Del Taco where I can get a couple of 99 cent burritos a drink, also with refills, and a churro for about five bucks.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  18. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

^^^^^
    I'm, um, thrifty that way, too. The "value menu" is where my eyes go.

But the dewy-eyed bride and I eat well most of the time. I do all the cooking. She tells me what she wants, and I try to accommodate the request.

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You can't beat the frozen pepperoni pizza at the local Hannafids. Three bucks, and you don't have to eat again till tomorrow.

20. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

No worries. We certainly get ours... :)

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 likes this.