Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I wonder how much it would take for a tailor to cobble together a couple of jackets, say a tweedy sportcoat and a gaberdine jacket, to make one?

Probably less than from scratch, and better quality.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
I wonder how much it would take for a tailor to cobble together a couple of jackets, say a tweedy sportcoat and a gaberdine jacket, to make one?

That's a good question; I've been looking off and and on for a pattern for one.

I actually have a few patterns stashed away. So far I've got one for a Ricky/Ike jacket, a slacker jacket, and loop collar shirt. They're kinda my ace in the whole for when 40's and 50's vintage starts getting to fragile to wear...

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
reetpleat said:

This is actually a pretty cool idea. I've done this before to make two tone shirts.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
This is actually a pretty cool idea. I've done this before to make two tone shirts.

Now that I have a little money coming in, I will do just that and post the results.

Truth be told, I don't much care for most repro jackets. They seem to be very bland baggy things all made of poor quality gaberdine. The ones that emulate the fifties elvis type stuff certainly cool and rare, but I much prefer the thirties forties ones that incorporate heavier wool, tweeds etc, such as the one Jimmy Hendricks dad is wearing.

that could be reproduced fairly easily though, with a little good tailoring and some vintage jackets. Then you are getting vintage fabric. maybe I could sell some on ebay as a little business.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
. . . Truth be told, I don't much care for most repro jackets. They seem to be very bland baggy things all made of poor quality gabardine. . .

I definitely agree with you about the fabric. That's been the biggest hurdle for me in having reproductions custom made for myself. Finding patterns has be relatively easy, but I've yet to find a source for rayon/wool blended gab.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
Repro Hollywood-style jacket by Riviera

8985_1.JPG

a9e6_1.JPG

This jacket is for sale for a while now on ebay.. it's a newly made repro.. It looks like a nice jacket to me, but what do other members think of it? it sells for 140 pound sterlign..

Edward

Bartender
I quite fancy one of those, though maybe in a different colour scheme. I also have my eye on one of their reversible gab ricky jackets.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
It really depends on the fabric. . .

djgo-cat-go said:
This jacket is for sale for a while now on ebay.. it's a newly made repro.. It looks like a nice jacket to me, but what do other members think of it? it sells for 140 pound sterlign..

It really depends on the fabric. All of the reproductions I've seen are made of polyester/wool blend gabardine. Generally, they look like awful polyester from miles away, though, some are better than others.

Rayon was the polyester of it's time, but finding rayon or rayon/wool gabardine today is VERY difficult - hence re-pops not being made of authentic material.

There are a few guys on here who are more knowledgeable about thew various reproduction brands than I, but for my money The King, Geronimo, and Old Gold are the best.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guttersnipe said:
There are a few guys on here who are more knowledgeable about thew various reproduction brands than I, but for my money The King, Geronimo, and Old Gold are the best.
The now-defunct Geronimo was the best. The material they used was the closest to vintage gab that I've seen on a repro.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
djgo-cat-go said:
8985_1.JPG

a9e6_1.JPG

Not bad, but doesn't seem to hang like quality fabric would. Also, the style to me, is not very practical. I can see wearing a 40s type tan and brown two tone, but this type, to all but the knowledgeable, will look like pajamas.

Pretty cool style though.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
reetpleat said:
Not bad, but doesn't seem to hang like quality fabric would. Also, the style to me, is not very practical. I can see wearing a 40s type tan and brown two tone, but this type, to all but the knowledgeable, will look like pajamas.

Pretty cool style though.

If u get rid of the front-half of the belt, I think it looks a lot less like a pair of pj's, but I concur on the fabric.. I'm afraid that it's not half as good as some of the other repro's shown/mentioned on this thread.. I dunno if this could be a style that fits me.. I guess I'm also into the more 40's two tone tan 'n' brown type of jacket..

Edward

Bartender
reetpleat said:
this type, to all but the knowledgeable, will look like pajamas.

lol

I see what you mean. I think a lot has to do with the nature of the market for repro "rock and roll" clothes (as they would be perceived by many over here). A lot of folks seem to prefer a primary-coloured, Happy Days or Grease take on the 50s over and above something maybe more accurately styled after what was worn at the time. I suppose it's akin to folks dressing up like Elvis did on stage in his pre-Army days, as opposed to what the average punter in his audience wore. That, and you also have the 'Showaddywaddy' effect.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
A great thread on an interesting topic! (let me wipe the drool from my keyboard)

Not to derail the topic at hand, I'd like to show you a jacket and pose somes questions.

Below is a "Pendleton" jacket, most likely from the later 1950s. While it is similar to the (non-Hollywood) jacket in the OP of this thread, it has a different collar like those of Hollywood jackets, reverse peaked much like the shirt collar. It was mentioned earlier that Hollywood jackets must be able to be worn in town. Would you consider this a 'country' or a 'town' jacket?

me108.jpg

Would this jacket be described as a Hollywood or a later backcountry cousin of the Hollywood? Or did the ealier Hollywoods shown in this thread (the pure Hollywood style) evolve into the style of jacket shown above? Did these two styles of jackets coexist at the same time?

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
thunderw21 said:
A great thread on an interesting topic! (let me wipe the drool from my keyboard)

Not to derail the topic at hand, I'd like to show you a jacket and pose somes questions.

Below is a "Pendleton" jacket, most likely from the later 1950s. While it is similar to the (non-Hollywood) jacket in the OP of this thread, it has a different collar like those of Hollywood jackets, reverse peaked much like the shirt collar. It was mentioned earlier that Hollywood jackets must be able to be worn in town. Would you consider this a 'country' or a 'town' jacket?

me108.jpg

Would this jacket be described as a Hollywood or a later backcountry cousin of the Hollywood? Or did the ealier Hollywoods shown in this thread (the pure Hollywood style) evolve into the style of jacket shown above? Did these two styles of jackets coexist at the same time?

Very nice, I've never seen one that's striped like that before. I have a few plaid ones myself and consider them definitely more casual, but I'm not sure about the country vs. town thing.

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
Just got these two-tones, now I have three. I must be insane.

BQhjN7g2kKGrHgoH-CQEkJ5gdrdhBJ5Vm3P.jpg

BQhljIQ2kKGrHgoOKkEEjlLmF82BJ5V6Rwb.jpg

Cool jackets! I seem to never have any luck in the vintage-ebay-department because of my size.. Thrift-stores in the Netherlands rarely ever carry those type of jackets.. too bad.. I guess I have to sew a jacket myself :rolleyes:

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
J. M. Stovall said:
Just got these two-tones, now I have three. I must be insane...

Insanely awesome you mean.
Seriously, how do you guys find these things? I've yet to see any true Hollywood jacket in these parts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24