Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

GWD

One Too Many
Found this today!

Picked this up at a local Salvation Army.
It almost fits too!

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

Any information you pros can give me would be great! If I can't have it tailored to fit me, I plan on selling it.

Thanks,

Gary

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Even with the condition issues that is a spectacular piece. It's quite rare for casual jackets to be dated, which implies it was a high end item when new. If you can have it tailored to fit, I recommend you do. You are not likely to see a jacket this good at thrift store prices again. I super envious right now ;)

GWD said:
Picked this up at a local Salvation Army.
It almost fits too!

Any information you pros can give me would be great! If I can't have it tailored to fit me, I plan on selling it.

Thanks,

Gary

GWD

One Too Many
Guttersnipe said:
Even with the condition issues that is a spectacular piece. It's quite rare for casual jackets to be dated, which implies it was a high end item when new. If you can have it tailored to fit, I recommend you do. You are not likely to see a jacket this good at thrift store prices again. I super envious right now ;)

These aren't supposed to be form fitting are they? I always thought they were supposed to hang sorta drapey straight off the shoulders. Buttoned up this looks as if it were tailored and I don't think that's right for this style. I really don't know though. The sleeves are a tad short and I know they can't be lengthened. I want this to fit so badly!

marineabilly

A-List Customer
Nice find! :eusa_clap They aren't supposed to be form fitting. You are right - they are supposed to be drapey. Looks like a tan gabardine weave with brown wool. The collar shape is very unique and the saddle stitching collar, lapel and pockets are very nice attention to detail.

If you REALLY want the sleeves to fit, you can always have brown elastic cuffs kind of like a Lakeland Clicker jacket or have an actual button cuff crafted and sewn on by a good tailor.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Guttersnipe said:
What he said.

twobarbreak

One of the Regulars
the different styles and cut

I have a handful of these jackets...

Most are partially lined, (in the shoulders, upper back and arms). the rest are fully lined.

some have belt backs,some not, some have "tie" belts...etc...(the tie belted Hollywood jackets were called Car coats).

The 50's jackets are very "Boxy" , the earlier the more cut they become.

I have one from 1936, which is actually two tone, suede,wool...

1939, a little less cut, but still nice fitting compared to what the Rock a Billy Guys like, which are the Big square ones and over sized shoulders.

in the late 1990's the price went through the roof, and I was fetching 800 plus and the Vintage Fashion Expo....hence I only have a small collection left.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
So I guess this doesn't qualify as a Hollywood jacket? if not, is there another name for this type of jacket? I just bought this one and wore it today for the first time.

hollywoodjacket.jpg

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The black shirt was a poor choice as it detracts from the jacket. Shoes are interesting..............

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana