Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman had a 150 also. Can't remember which thread the pics are in. I think Chinaski might have been referring to the Ermine Stetson that was also $150.00.

B
stetson_ermine.jpg

Later Vanity Stetsons

1954 $1,500
5330083473_bb14f4dbdd_b.jpg

Current $5,000
5330703486_5a9a721cb3_b.jpg

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
Now that I have a rather cheap wool felt homburg which I'm loving for what it is, I really want a nice fur felt homburg I really like the look of these hats on me. I'll be keeping my eye out for one this year, or I'll make one out of an old western hat if I can figure out how.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'll be keeping my eye out for one this year, or I'll make one out of an old western hat if I can figure out how.

There are two difficulties with that which I have thought of in planning the same thing.
First: The curl. I have no idea how to properly curl a brim.
Second: the binding. I standard Homburg has a bound brim, which might be a difficult conversion without the expertise of an actual hatter.

Alan-Eby

Familiar Face
There are two difficulties with that which I have thought of in planning the same thing.
First: The curl. I have no idea how to properly curl a brim.
Second: the binding. I standard Homburg has a bound brim, which might be a difficult conversion without the expertise of an actual hatter.
I agree, but I recently found out that the Goodwill here throws out felt hats if they deem them to be unsellable and most are easily cleaned and so I have some I can practise with.

Time for a needed bump.
My Holy Grail hat is still a pristine Stetson Playboy in 7 5/8 LO.
I've seen some nice Playboys surface lately but not in the large sizes or with the classic ribbon treatment that makes in a Playboy to me.

TCMfan25

Practically Family
Custom English Grey Homburg with matching Grey Brim Binding, 2 inch Black Ribbon, Black wind Trolley, 2 1/4 Brim, 5 1/4 Crown, Open Crown, Beaver Fur Felt! < That and the Diplomat...

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Ho, boy.

My list continues to grow and mutate the more I hang out here... and then of course the hierarchy changes as one finds a good deal, interesting find, etc.

But I would love a sage homburg like the Diplomat TCM posted, though I didn't know what to call it until just now. I have to say that Falcon Park shows a color combination on his website that I think I'd love in a homburg for daily wear. He refers to it as the "Gentleman" and said it was made specifically for a child to match his suit-- Sahara with turftan ribbon.
http://falconparkhattery.com/Custom_Creations.html

Also on my list are a Boss of the Plains with a rolled brim (like the famous period photo I'm sure you all have seen),
plantershat1.jpg

and a quality John Bull topper/ Johnny Depp-- Dead Man hat, maybe in a grey shade.

I saw something by Dave Brown that I drooled over, although the brim is wider and the crown is straight-sided (as opposed to flared), that I thought would be an acceptable substitute for the John Bull.
brimpencilrollphoto41.jpg

Oh, and I want my late grandfather's Stetson fifteen when my dad's done with it! Could this also be a sage color?
p3030421.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
:eek: I didn't read the [curt rich] article, just did a google image search for BOP.

But I realized I do have it in William Reynolds/Rich Rand's The Cowboy Hat Book and their guess is about 1860. Was the BOP more in the 1880s?

(Hey, where'd your post go, Neo?)

Last edited:

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
:eek: I didn't read the [curt rich] article, just did a google image search for BOP.

But I realized I do have it in William Reynolds/Rich Rand's The Cowboy Hat Book and their guess is about 1860. Was the BOP more in the 1880s?

(Hey, where'd your post go, Neo?)

Sorry, I just felt that my comment was snooty. It added nothing to the thread, either :).

Last edited:

T Rick

Practically Family
At the moment, a green Whippet (or maybe another color) in my size. And a few others (including a Stetson 100). But perhaps the most rare? I'm quite taken with Alan and Robert's "The Motor" from Stetson. Those seem to be about as rare as it gets. And hey, I'm in the Motor City after all...

DJH

I'll Lock Up
There are several hats I'd consider to be my Holy Grail:

Borsalino Rollable - with that little fan shaped tin.

Old Silverbelly Open Road

Nice condition green Whippet

I'd also like to treat myself to a high quality Panama from Optimo or the bloke in Hawaii too!

There are several hats I'd consider to be my Holy Grail:

Borsalino Rollable - with that little fan shaped tin.

Old Silverbelly Open Road

Nice condition green Whippet

I'd also like to treat myself to a high quality Panama from Optimo or the bloke in Hawaii too!

A bluegrass green Whippet would be excellent!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
One of those original blue Stetson Whippets and a Brown Borsalino ... the one that looks something like an Open Road.

I know where to find the Borsalino ... it's the $300 that I can't seem to locate.

The blue Whippet ... now that is hard to find.

Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points