Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
My grail hat has beeen a Peters bros hat called the Amon Carter ( or Oil Man ) model in their top of the line custom Shady Oaks line. I'd want the 100% Beaver w/ 3/8 hat band and bow w/3/8 brim binding to match !! But at $700.00, gonna have to wait till I win the lottery :) Here's a pic from Peters Bros. of it :

DCP_0027A31.gif

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have hesitated to post to this thread simply because I have so many hats I like, it seems greedy to want
another. Putting aside the usual "holy grail" hats like a Crofut-Knapp fedora from back in the day or one of
those Borsalino cowboy hats made for the South American market in the 30s or a light Cavanagh from the 30s
or a 40s Borsalino velour fedora or... what I'd like to have some day is a soft 40s 7X Clear Beaver Open Road in
7 1/2 LO with a brim at least 2.5 inches wide.

Is that really too much to ask?

Edit: Ooh, Post Number 2500!

The Good

Call Me a Cab
My grail hat has beeen a Peters bros hat called the Amon Carter ( or Oil Man ) model in their top of the line custom Shady Oaks line. I'd want the 100% Beaver w/ 3/8 hat band and bow w/3/8 brim binding to match !! But at $700.00, gonna have to wait till I win the lottery :) Here's a pic from Peters Bros. of it :

DCP_0027A31.gif

That is one of the nicest Open Road type hats I've seen. The shape, the ribbon, and the brim width look great. Thank you for posting. I might try to duplicate that shape if and when I get my Campdraft. Of course, I could settle on something else...

Chinaski

One Too Many
Chinaski ... I stumbled onto a small town antique store a week ago and walked out with a Stratoliner that looks just like your pictures. I had to stretch it one size, but it was just like new ... had the original price tag in it.
It had originally sold for $13.75
I got it for $10.75 less, believe it or not.
Heck ... I'd have paid full price if they'd asked me to.

Good luck,

Sam

Sam, I think you should quickly run out and buy a lottery ticket! That's some good luck with that Stratoliner...

Chinaski

One Too Many
... what I'd like to have some day is a soft 40s 7X Clear Beaver Open Road in
7 1/2 LO with a brim at least 2.5 inches wide.

Is that really too much to ask?

Edit: Ooh, Post Number 2500!

feltfan, if anything, you've got to put it out there. You know, ask and you (or is it ye?) shall receive. I predict that lid will be coming your way sometime.

Edward

Bartender
Uhm... In terms of vintage, I did see a really nice Disney with the bow at the back a few years ago. One of those in my size would be nice. I'd also like an Adventurebilt (a bit beyond my budget for the foreseeable). An Art would be nice, too. For the most part, though, a few more Akubras and I'd be very happy.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
2.5 inch brim, light gray, wide black band, bound edge, tall full crown that I will promptly bash short, and durable felt.

Also, long hair black homburg.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I have to say, I've been thinking of a long hair, too. The idea is intriguing me.

My first long finish fedora was a Knox 25 in ivory. Terrific hat.
Over the years, I've added a black and a navy in more of a velour finish.
Finally, I converted a long finish gold western hat to a fedora ... they are all great and look good with casual, sporty and casual dress.
I never really liked any of mine with a suit, but that's just me.
They are a nice change of pace, though.

Speaking of a great hat to wish for ... that dark green Penman would be sweet, or just about anything by Art Fawcett.

Just saying ...

Sam

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Happy to say I no longer have a 'holy grail' hat. My favorite 'hanging on the wall' design is a cream wide-brim fedora with a rust or maroon wide ribbon, but those don't look good on me. My other two favorites are a wide-brim Montecristi and a wide-brim black Stetson long-hair, and I have both. It's very interesting to see what others are still looking for while I enjoy a break.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy