Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hey, I have a question...I have 2 nice Stetsons western hats, one is a 30X felt in black (El Patron) the other is a 10X in light tan. I used to wear western hats, but it really never set well with me. I have been trying to sell them on Ebay, Craigs List, not a single hit. Is it possible to have them reblocked into a fair semblance of a teardrop fedora? Or a 'C crown'? I know it can be done, as i had a cheaper one done at Langstons in OKC, (kinda outback style)but I was wondering if this would be more benificial to me? I have 2 Biltmores which I love, so would I be disappointed with them. BTW, one of the Biltmores is from Henry the Hatters here in Detroit, and they advertise that for 65 smackers they will take apart, reblock, shape etc. Here is a photo of the Stetson, too nice a hat to just keep in a box all the time.

66169-s-0.jpg

As to the Western hat, I bought a modern Open Road (stiff hat) with cattleman's crease on E Bay, and not wanting that crease, had it re-blocked to "center dent with pinches." That was my intention all along in buying the hat--experimenting with reblocking it that way. It worked fine and I wear it. It doesn't look that different from the original cattleman's crease, but different enough for me to want to wear it around here. So by all means, go for the re-blocking of the Western hat in a way you like. I'm not sure I'd go for c-crown on it though.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I really would like a nice vintage fedora, something like my grandfather used to wear. Not sure of its brand, but it was kinda olive brown, shaped like an open road. I have a 2 good hats , a couple westerns, and 2 outback types, but would love something in a tan or sand color.

As far as reblocking etc, would a good hatter be able to use or reuse the existing lining. The one in the hat is very, very nice.

66171-s-0.jpg

This hat ususally retails for around $550 at most western stores. I paid $325 for it at the stetson outlet in St. Joe, MO, a cople yrs ago. And if I have it reworked, I would want the brim trimmed to about 2.5 and shaped like a drop brim. Any thoughts as if it would be too stiff. The felt on this hat seems to be quite a bit thicker also.

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I really want an Optimo Ox Blood hat. I do like the Depp Public Enemies hat, but that's what my Penman hat is modeled on. The hat I just ordered from Black Sheep Hat Works is going to be hand dyed to a color which is really darn close to that Ox Blood/Black Cherry felt.

And I kinda feel like I need an Open Road too....

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
As of right now:

-Silverbelly Open Road/Campdraft fedora
-Tan fedora with a darker contrasting ribbon (I'm thinking Stylemaster or Fed IV)
-Light grey fedora (I'm not sure if I'm even going to convert my homburg anymore)
-Something Art Fawcett or John Penman, if I can afford to. :cool:
-After this, maybe a cowboy hat (brim width of at least 3 inches) of my choosing

This is all more or less in order, but that can change.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
I apologize if I drifted off the direction of this thread. I really have been thinking of getting an Akumbra...something I can wear for casual, yet with a leather coat and tie if the occasion arises. I just want to be able to touch one, see how it feels, fits first.

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Blue and green are 2 colors that I am not sure I'd be interested in. Not sure what I'd wear with those colors?

If you think your hat is going to clash with the rest of your outfit just make sure that your socks clash even more and you should be just fine. :D

:eusa_doh:

:cool:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
How do you feel about flying to Seattle?.....

I apologize if I drifted off the direction of this thread. I really have been thinking of getting an Akumbra...something I can wear for casual, yet with a leather coat and tie if the occasion arises. I just want to be able to touch one, see how it feels, fits first.

'Fraid the ONLY US retailer is David Morgan in Seattle. But being a wearer and owner of 3 Akubra's ( one for over 30 years now) I can attest to all that you've read here about them :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Yes they are, and they are on the East Coast in CT., but remember, DM is the SOLE U.S. distributor for Akubra :) And their web site does not show the same variety of models as DM.

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I really would like a nice vintage fedora, something like my grandfather used to wear. Not sure of its brand, but it was kinda olive brown, shaped like an open road. I have a 2 good hats , a couple westerns, and 2 outback types, but would love something in a tan or sand color.

As far as reblocking etc, would a good hatter be able to use or reuse the existing lining. The one in the hat is very, very nice.

66171-s-0.jpg

This hat ususally retails for around $550 at most western stores. I paid $325 for it at the stetson outlet in St. Joe, MO, a cople yrs ago. And if I have it reworked, I would want the brim trimmed to about 2.5 and shaped like a drop brim. Any thoughts as if it would be too stiff. The felt on this hat seems to be quite a bit thicker also.

Two places that no doubt can do the work are a) Greeley Hat Works in Colorado (www.greeleyhatworks.com), and the Major Moore store in Tennessee, Buckaroo Hatters (www.buckaroohatters.com) Many more shops could do it, but Greeley was recommended to me by a retailer and I used them with good results. Buckaroo is regularly visited by members of this lounge. And yes, I am certain they can keep your lining.

Chinaski

One Too Many
StetsonOpenRoad758004.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758006.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758009.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758010.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758012.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758017.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758027.jpg

StetsonOpenRoad758038.jpg
[/QUOTE]

This is holy grail worthy for me. I would like to have a pristine OR like this one. Doesn't need to be a 100, just a really nice, vintage (pre 60's) OR in really great condition. This one is a beautiful example, and a beautiful hat!

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I recently acquired an Open Road from the 50's and being lucky enough to live in Chicago I took it to Optimo for a complete rebuild, best money I ever spent and I bought one of their very cool hat boxes.

So after hanging around in their shop I would love to have an Optimo in the Oxblood family.

azhiker

One of the Regulars
That is no doubt, one very fine hat! And it looks like I now have a name for my obsession! Wow is all I can say. My wife will skin me if I buy another hat right now. Does anyone have any experience with Henry the Hatter in Detroit doing all the work I want done? I cold fly to these recommended hatters, but hate to spend that much time for a hat. Wait, I meant you can't spend too much time or effort for a hat..Whew...thought I might get tossed from the FL!

Sam Craig

One Too Many
That is no doubt, one very fine hat! And it looks like I now have a name for my obsession! Wow is all I can say. My wife will skin me if I buy another hat right now. Does anyone have any experience with Henry the Hatter in Detroit doing all the work I want done? I cold fly to these recommended hatters, but hate to spend that much time for a hat. Wait, I meant you can't spend too much time or effort for a hat..Whew...thought I might get tossed from the FL!

That was a close one, but good save, hiker!

Chinaski ... I stumbled onto a small town antique store a week ago and walked out with a Stratoliner that looks just like your pictures.
I had to stretch it one size, but it was just like new ... had the original price tag in it.
It had originally sold for $13.75
I got it for $10.75 less, believe it or not.
Heck ... I'd have paid full price if they'd asked me to.

Good luck,

Sam

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Hey, I have a question...I have 2 nice Stetsons western hats, one is a 30X felt in black (El Patron) the other is a 10X in light tan. I used to wear western hats, but it really never set well with me. I have been trying to sell them on Ebay, Craigs List, not a single hit. Is it possible to have them reblocked into a fair semblance of a teardrop fedora? Or a 'C crown'? I know it can be done, as i had a cheaper one done at Langstons in OKC, (kinda outback style)but I was wondering if this would be more benificial to me? I have 2 Biltmores which I love, so would I be disappointed with them. BTW, one of the Biltmores is from Henry the Hatters here in Detroit, and they advertise that for 65 smackers they will take apart, reblock, shape etc. Here is a photo of the Stetson, too nice a hat to just keep in a box all the time.

66169-s-0.jpg

I have rebuilt six western hats ... Stetson, Resistol, Miller, etc. ... into terrific fedoras by trimming the brims and reshaping them into a snap brim look ... replacing the thin ribbons with wide Petersham replacements and shaping the crowns into pinch-fronts.

They all have turned out great and I can get some use out of fine hats that were just sitting on the shelf ... since I don't wear western wear any more.

The great thing about conversions is that you don't have to be nearly as careful with them, so they are perfect for wearing to a ball game, or a movie, or out with the grandkids ... anything where there's wear and tear you don't want on the Whippet or other dress lids.

Check out the conversion topic on here. It has great suggestions. Because the westerns are so tough, they are also pretty forgiving when you work with them.

Good luck,

Sam

theinterchange

One Too Many
I really want an Optimo Ox Blood hat. I do like the Depp Public Enemies hat, but that's what my Penman hat is modeled on. The hat I just ordered from Black Sheep Hat Works is going to be hand dyed to a color which is really darn close to that Ox Blood/Black Cherry felt.

And I kinda feel like I need an Open Road too....

Be sure to post photos of your Black Sheep when it arrives, I'm interested to see how they look "in hand".

Randy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk