Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOLY GRAIL? /What fedoras are you pining for?

Well, since you brought it up.... Bob, being the searcher he is, found what appeared to be a pristine, black Stetson 25 OR on Craigslist in TX. Made contact with the seller who was a very nice older lady who was selling some of her recently departed husbands property. She knew nothing of the hat, only that her husband had owned it for years but rarely wore it. She agreed to ship and a paypal transaction was made.

As soon as I opened the box it was apparent something wasn't right. The hat wasn't just stiff, it was harder than Chinese arithmetic. I did give it a gas bath just to see what would happen. Zip, other than getting wet. The surface of the paint couldn't even be scratched off. Must've been painted with some military grade stuff. I decided to leave the seller in peace and not bother her about it. After pondering what to do next, I opened the garbage can. May as well have driven down the road and thrown out a hundred dollar bill.

One of the more painful memories in my hat buying history. Thanks, Bob!

Ouch! Well, it at least makes for a great story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
My holy grail has always been one of the Open Roads shown in, I believe a late 1930's ad, with a wide ribbon. It's possible that such a hat was never actually made. My more realistic holy grail is a early 1900's black kettle curled brim Clear Nutria Stetson western with a 2 3/4-3" brim. I have come close, but never hit the exact hat.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
74B912DF-9266-49B5-8420-DE4C4CCCF48D.jpeg
My holy grail has always been one of the Open Roads shown in, I believe a late 1930's ad, with a wide ribbon. It's possible that such a hat was never actually made. My more realistic holy grail is a early 1900's black kettle curled brim Clear Nutria Stetson western with a 2 3/4-3" brim. I have come close, but never hit the exact hat.
See the classifieds for a white one.
I don’t know about a black one in Nutria but who knows??
B

my glib but accurate answer is 'the next one'. However if I do pine for one in particular; one made from Fepsa beaver in a colour I like. I checked out N Engels out of England that offers a Fepsa 100% beaver belly fur but he wants $1500 and I cannot bring myself to spend that amount. I may just settle for one from a Scandinavian hatter in a colour I am okay with but don't love or sell a kidney and buy from Optima.

Updated from my 2014/2015 list:

I do not own a Strat of any ilk, so that's kind of top of the list right now. So no preference for color, but that will most assuredly change. (Picked up a 50s vintage Strat over a year ago. Still looking for more)
Stetson 7X Clear Beaver of any variety (Stiil waiting)
Pre-Stetson Mallory, tall crown, wide brim (Lotsa Mallorys, and my Mallory Commander may be pre-Stetson, but not certain)
Cobalt Blue Homburg, no brand, but vintage (I have a Schoble in this color and have for a few years)
Pre-WWII Penney's Marathon (My thin ribbon Strat clone is very likely pre-war)
A quick walk around Steve's (Meyserwegener's) hat room while he's out of town. I'll only take one! (The restraning order is keeping me away)
20s or 30s No. 1 Quality Stetson (Nope)
This one I'm shooting for soon: A custom from Gus Miller at Batsakes in Cincinnati. (Got this a few years ago - obe of my favorites)
All the Daltons in my size. And maybe a few not in my size. (I now have seven, including a recent pick up for my wife. Always in the market)

Not on the list at this point was the Demon Hanover - I now have two and a matching necktie. Need a matching box.

Héctor Fernández

One Too Many
Mine was to acquire one piece of every brand I love. I have accomplish that so my grail has been fulfilled. For me is never about quantity, but quality, and I have good quality hats in my wardrobe.

Now, I am free to buy a hat when I want to and not because I need to fill a gap.

I want to thank Bill Hughes, Stefan, and Panos for all their help in making it happen.

Last edited:

RossRYoung

Practically Family
BOTP and a western style Young’s Stetson (for obvious reasons)
A 100 is still on the list too, but lower priority since my two 7Xs are wonderful.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ