Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homage to Red Skelton

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Yesterday evening, New Year's eve, I was a bit ill with flu and we decided to stay home. Sitting a bit sadly in front of the TV, zapping through the programs directed at those many who find or have nothing better but to gawk at Bayerische beerfeste, Italian donne, Spanish glitz and French yapping, we had the immense fortune of staying with the 1946 film "Ziegfeld Follies" (a Vincente Minnelli and others production), a collection of multiple scenes, independent of each other, a real "show". Whilst much of the beautifully filmed scenes, in splendid color, are very...outdated..., Red Skelton had me laughing tears galore with a gin-based sketch; absolutely first rate, great display of talent, splendid stuff. Whilst I have seen Red Skelton during the earlier part of the 1960's when I lived in Texas, Virginia and Maryland, he had never, ever, made me laugh. My wife had never heard of Red. Thanks Mr. Skelton. To make it hat-related: this is a sketch where he does two figures, one of them with his hat turned inside out to make him look like a university professor...genius stuff! Remarkable scene, also, the one with a ...delicious... Judy Garland and a great band of dancing newpapermen. Wow!
Oh yes. I feel better. I'll go and open that bottle of Champagne, now.
Happy New Year to all.
Paul

RBH

Bartender
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/orYhEEWWyX8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/orYhEEWWyX8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Pablo and RBH, thanks for the trip down memory lane. As a kid, my folks would go to my grandparents to watch The Red Skelton Show on their TV, 'cause we didn't have one. Love all his hat skits; he is a master commedian!

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin, I wish to salute those people in America who did NOT have, at some time in their life, a TV set. A rarifying species, I guess, and now we probably will soon have those who have never had a TV for the fact that they have only ...internet (and offshoot technologies)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner