Homburg Nation

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Garrett, Jan 24, 2009.

1. donCarlos

donCarlos Practically Family

Thanks, I´ll try the steam.

Late 60´s, or even later is what I was thinking. It has quite low crown and wider brim, like modern Tonak homburgs (which are surprisingly not listed anywhere on their website, but can be bought in their shop)

2. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

The sweat makeup with the fancy rope bow makes me think no later than late sixties but I could be wrong. You start to see glued in liners in the early 60s (very late 50s).

3. Mario

Mario I'll Lock Up

:eek:fftopic:

Hmmm...I know this is kinda strange, but it seems to be the only way...

Mayserwegener: please clear you PM in-box - it's obviously stuffed! Tried to PM you today, but couldn't send the message. :eek:

4. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Sorry about that. :) Should be ok now.

5. Brummagem Joe

Brummagem Joe Familiar Face

...........Interesting that you think it from the late fifties.......as you're a hat expert and I'm not I'm sure you're right but it looks as if it could have been produced in the twenties or even before the first world war.......I'm very keen on old photos and pre WW 1 pictures of politicians and notables wearing hats very like this abound.....one of William Jennings Bryan wearing a very similar hat to this floats straight into my mind.....it's a great find......the Homburg is very much associated with Anthony Eden but they were virtually standard issue for diplomats from the early thirties to the end of the sixties....before that they wore silk hats......I always associate them with Dean Acheson.

6. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Homburgs were popular in Germany into the 1960s. I am no expert but I am pretty confident this hat is late 50s early 60s. The older Homburgs generally have higher crowns than this one, wider sweatbands, plusher liners and probably more brim curl. Still this is a great hat (very well made + stylish) in my opinion.

Konrad Adenauer and Willy Brandt* (1961) both with Homburger (from the Homburg Hat Wiki)

*Similar to my Pallas Homburg

[​IMG]

7. Forgotten Man

Forgotten Man One Too Many

I have a nice 30s one a friend of mine gave me for my birthday last year... I'll share a photo of it soon.

Hooray for Homburgs!;)

8. mannySpaghetti

mannySpaghetti One of the Regulars

Just following up on a previous post about this hat when I first won it...

Anyways, I received my Lord Calvert Homburg today and was really surprised at how good a condition it was in. A lot better than what the auction pictures offered:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Then I got to thinking about what kind of bash I wanted for it. Well, I'm not sure of what it's called exactly, but I think it's a diamond bash? I haven't quite got the handle on the various types, but knew somehow it would probably work for this Homburg, so I got my tea kettle steaming and took my time:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think it came out pretty decent!

9. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Manny, Great Homburg! Traditional would be center crease and no dents but this is interesting. What color is the felt? It appears to have a green hue.

10. billysmom

billysmom One Too Many

Looks great on you!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

11. mannySpaghetti

mannySpaghetti One of the Regulars

Yeah, I thought about a center crease, but I wanted to shake things up a little I guess. Give it a whirl you know? As far as the color goes it's like a grey/olive color with a brown hatband. Real sharp looking.

12. Mr. Paladin

Mr. Paladin My Mail is Forwarded Here

Great look with that one Manny. I'd say you have definitely "shaken and not stirred", as Mr. Bond would say. :)

13. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Hückel Superior Homburg, Dark Blue

Hückel Superior Homburg, Dark Blue, Size 55cm. This one was made by Johann Hückel´s Söhne (Novy Jicin) in the late 30s out of Bulgaria. It is not my size but I was able to get it for $75.00 so went for it as a collectors piece. The felt is actually dark blue and of very high quality with matching dark blue sweatband + retractable rope loop for hanging. The liner is lite purple with very fine detail work. There is no binding but I think it adds to the look. The condition is excellent.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Flitcraft

Flitcraft One Too Many

Man, that is a beaut!
    Shame it doesn't fit your noggin...

15. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

P. & C. Habig Homburg, Optimo Ribbon and Bow

I just got this size 58cm 1961 P. & C. Habig Homburg back from Optimo. It had some ribbon / bow damage (otherwise excellent condition) so I had that replaced plus a clean and block. The ribbon width is about the same as the original which isn't common for Homburgs (more Bowler like). I think they did a great job as usual.

After Optimo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also added a sweatband bow which I didn't ask for (nice touch).

[​IMG]

Before Optimo

[​IMG]

16. billysmom

billysmom One Too Many

Knox Superfine

This black Knox Superfine Homburg has a brown brim binding:

[​IMG]

The bow's got an unusual twist:

[​IMG]

And the sweat has a corrugated feature in the back that I assume is meant to assist with the fit:

[​IMG]

In fact, it has "Comfit" stamped on the front of the sweat:

[​IMG]

Otherwise, it's your typical wonderful Knox Homburg :) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I gave it a bit more smile with the steamer than my others because it just seemed to want it:

[​IMG]

Sue

17. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Stetson - Mayser 3X Beaver Quality Homburg

Stetson - Mayser 3X Beaver Quality Homburg, size 58cm. This one was made 12/27/58 under license by Mayser. Near new condition.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. billysmom

billysmom One Too Many

Just gorgeous, mayserwegener!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Sue

19. Mr. Paladin

Very nice maam! Interesting with the unusual items you pointed out. I have not seen that type of gathering in the sweatband of any hat before.

20. Mr. Paladin

Sir, that is a very impressive specimen. Very classy!