Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Echter Borsalino. Nobelsca model in the colour misto Lodola. Not strictly a homburg but a soft felt hat with an overwelt curled brim. Anyone calling it a homburg anyway is immediately forgiven (I hope I am too). Anything to prevent the homburg nation thread to sink to page five.
A substantial hat with the brim at 6,5cm and the crown 11,5cm at the center dent. Quite lightweight for a hat of these proportions with just 117 grams on the scale. Fits me like a dream. Mid-twenties to mid-thirties is an educated guess.
@Garrett has been kind and generous enough to let this one make the journey home to Europe, for which I can't thank him enough.

borsalino-nobelsca_01-jpg.178319
borsalino-nobelsca_02-jpg.178320
borsalino-nobelsca_03-jpg.178321
borsalino-nobelsca_04-jpg.178322
borsalino-nobelsca_05-jpg.178323
borsalino-nobelsca_06-jpg.178324
borsalino-nobelsca_07-jpg.178325
borsalino-nobelsca_08-jpg.178326
borsalino-nobelsca_09-jpg.178327
borsalino-nobelsca_11-jpg.178328
In my opinion, a Nobel addition to the Nation as well as any collection. Congrats, Stefan.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PanosChris

Practically Family
Second hat. Stetson homburg in dark blue. Felt is more stiff, nice hand though.
IMG-285108e2215632e67ac9c1226de9ef9c-V.jpg
IMG-216da8fbe21134c1f67897407d426713-V.jpg
IMG-89e575d857e2b43080966b235782a6cb-V.jpg
IMG-176b2079cb4b881b840b139fd89ed686-V.jpg
IMG-654386374aa9b6cec86af91b64a5aabe-V.jpg
IMG-176a86ae68f614717b6c951b80d8781c-V.jpg
Both hats are made in Norway (different makers though) and are tagged as 6 and 7/8 (56). The grey one seems better made to my eyes. Condition is pristine except the sweatband in the blue one is dried/shrink. Hopefully a stretcher might do the trick :)

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Some findings from hunting in the local vintage marker. These are my first vintage hats and homburgs as well (due to fellow loungers more on the way :) )

Stetson homburg/fedora in grey. Pensil curl brim. View attachment 178387 Felt is soft with a wonderful hand, "showerproof" is written on the sweatband. View attachment 178371 View attachment 178372 View attachment 178373 View attachment 178374 View attachment 178375
Two really nice looking Stetson Homburgs, Panos. Great finds.

More on the way you say. You've definitely got HAS - hat acquisition syndrome. The FL is a good place to be if you have it. It won't cure you, but it will make you happy [emoji4].

Looking forward to seeing your buys from fellow loungers.

PanosChris

Practically Family
Two really nice looking Stetson Homburgs, Panos. Great finds.

More on the way you say. You've definitely got HAS - hat acquisition syndrome. The FL is a good place to be if you have it. It won't cure you, but it will make you happy [emoji4].

Looking forward to seeing your buys from fellow loungers.

Thanks Steve for your comments and your valuable advices while I was hunting on those hats! Very much appreciated !

I knew I had WIS (watch idiot savant) so far but HAS is definitely new to me. I am prone to such syndromes I guess, let's see what else is coming up :)

I will definitely keep you posted when the new acquisitions arrive.
Best, Panos

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Steve for your comments and your valuable advices while I was hunting on those hats! Very much appreciated !

I knew I had WIS (watch idiot savant) so far but HAS is definitely new to me. I am prone to such syndromes I guess, let's see what else is coming up :)

I will definitely keep you posted when the new acquisitions arrive.
Best, Panos
You're more than welcome, Panos. My pleasure.

With your taste in and understanding of hats along with the added bonus of you living in Norway, and thus a new hat hunter in new hat hunting territory for fellow Loungers, you're a wonderful addition to our little community.

It's interesting too that the two Stetson's you found were made in Norway under license. Do you know by any chance which Norwegian hat maker made them?

Happy hat hunting - Steve

PanosChris

Practically Family
You're more than welcome, Panos. My pleasure.

With your taste in and understanding of hats along with the added bonus of you living in Norway, and thus a new hat hunter in new hat hunting territory for fellow Loungers, you're a wonderful addition to our little community.

It's interesting too that the two Stetson's you found were made in Norway under license. Do you know by any chance which Norwegian hat maker made them?

Happy hat hunting - Steve

Thanks for your kind words Steve, always an English gentleman. I would be glad to prove myself useful for fellow loungers with some local finds, if any.

Regarding the Stetsons. The blue one was make in the Holm Hattebutikken in Oslo, running since 1937 if my info is correct. Nowadays is the main importer for Stetson, Borsalino and other brands, while selling also norwegian sweaters and other tourist stuff. I don't think you can even bring a hat for restoration anymore.

The second one I guess it was made by a hatter in Tønsberg at the south-west fjord of Oslo (where I found the hat too). No info on the particular hatmaker/hatshop though other than the stated K.Pedersen A/S. Interestingly the previous owner (she said the hat belonged to her grandfather) didn't know that she was actually selling two hats packed together. On top there was an English made fedora (I will post this on another thread hoping to get some info on it). Nevertheless a lucky find :)

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for your kind words Steve, always an English gentleman. I would be glad to prove myself useful for fellow loungers with some local finds, if any.

Regarding the Stetsons. The blue one was make in the Holm Hattebutikken in Oslo, running from 1937 if my info is correct. Nowadays is the main importer for Stetson, Borsalino and other brands, while selling also norwegian sweaters and other tourist stuff. I don't think you can even bring a hat for restoration anymore.

The second one I guess it was made by a hatter in Tønsberg at the south-west fjord of Oslo (where I found the hat too). No info on the particular hatmaker/hatshop though other than the stated K.Pedersen A/S. Interestingly the previous owner (she said the hat belonged to her grandfather) didn't know that she was actually selling two hats packed together. On top there was an English made fedora (I will post this on another thread hoping to get some info on it). Nevertheless a lucky find :)
Indeed, lucky and nice finds again, Panos. Congrats.

It's interesting to hear of these Norwegian hat makers. You are really broadening our horizons. Thanks.

Looking forward to seeing the English Fedora.

Best - Steve

Some findings from hunting in the local vintage marker. These are my first vintage hats and homburgs as well (due to fellow loungers more on the way :) )

Stetson homburg/fedora in grey. Pensil curl brim. View attachment 178387 Felt is soft with a wonderful hand, "showerproof" is written on the sweatband. View attachment 178371 View attachment 178372 View attachment 178373 View attachment 178374 View attachment 178375
Second hat. Stetson homburg in dark blue. Felt is more stiff, nice hand though. View attachment 178388 View attachment 178389 View attachment 178390 View attachment 178391 View attachment 178392 View attachment 178393 Both hats are made in Norway (different makers though) and are tagged as 6 and 7/8 (56). The grey one seems better made to my eyes. Condition is pristine except the sweatband in the blue one is dried/shrink. Hopefully a stretcher might do the trick :)
Fantastic finds, both of them, Panos. And a scoop to boot: as far as I know we haven't seen Norwegian made Stetson hats here before. Likely from the same manufacturer, just different retailers. Congrats!

Second hat. Stetson homburg in dark blue. Felt is more stiff, nice hand though. View attachment 178388 View attachment 178389 View attachment 178390 View attachment 178391 View attachment 178392 View attachment 178393 Both hats are made in Norway (different makers though) and are tagged as 6 and 7/8 (56). The grey one seems better made to my eyes. Condition is pristine except the sweatband in the blue one is dried/shrink. Hopefully a stretcher might do the trick :)
Super! Are there other paper labels behind the sweatbands?

PanosChris

Practically Family
Fantastic finds, both of them, Panos. And a scoop to boot: as far as I know we haven't seen Norwegian made Stetson hats here before. Likely from the same manufacturer, just different retailers. Congrats!

Thanks Stefan. Regarding the Norwegian made I was actually thinking the same but I wasn't sure since I am new here and in hats in general.

PanosChris

Practically Family
"New" vintage arrival. I thought to get this one as a project/experimentation hat given that was approx my size. Unfortunately after all the messages exchanged with previous owner it's way too big for me. Sometimes you get lucky and some not with distant purchases I guess. Except the moth spots the overall condition is good (the pics were taken before brushing and streaming) and features a really superb hand. Not sure yet what will do with that one.
IMG-42ffea3c0923b99d68edce88224e8441-V.jpg
IMG-56294a3a870fe2964c0bbf9fc253c62d-V.jpg
IMG-6472b2b064efdd62706595099a6d89ef-V.jpg
IMG-f66bcd50452b5180addc81c189463de6-V.jpg
IMG-aabed537754dd6af4fa7d47d61d41767-V.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
"New" vintage arrival. I thought to get this one as a project/experimentation hat given that was approx my size. Unfortunately after all the messages exchanged with previous owner it's way too big for me. Sometimes you get lucky and some not with distant purchases I guess. Except the moth spots the overall condition is good (the pics were taken before brushing and streaming) and features a really superb hand. Not sure yet what will do with that one. View attachment 178675 View attachment 178676 View attachment 178677 View attachment 178678 View attachment 178679
It's a shame about the hat, Panos. Bet we've all been there, either too large or too small.

What I do now with sellers who aren't hat savy, and if there is no size label to be found, is to ask them to measure the hat from front to back, and side to side as in the photos. This helps sizing and seeing if the hat in question fits.
b8e786ab01ae5bf2019b06d2ba297cff.jpg
a188f4684483fbffc3eb2ca9ee9581d0.jpg

"New" vintage arrival. I thought to get this one as a project/experimentation hat given that was approx my size. Unfortunately after all the messages exchanged with previous owner it's way too big for me. Sometimes you get lucky and some not with distant purchases I guess. Except the moth spots the overall condition is good (the pics were taken before brushing and streaming) and features a really superb hand. Not sure yet what will do with that one. View attachment 178675 View attachment 178676 View attachment 178677 View attachment 178678 View attachment 178679
Great find! It's an early VEB Vereinigte Hutwerke Guben (DDR). Can you post it in the German and Austrian thread when you have a chance?

https://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/topic/55-veb-vereinigte-hutwerke-guben/

PanosChris

Practically Family
It's a shame about the hat, Panos. Bet we've all been there, either too large or too small.

What I do now with sellers who aren't hat savy, and if there is no size label to be found, is to ask them to measure the hat from front to back, and side to side as in the photos. This helps sizing and seeing if the hat in question fits.
b8e786ab01ae5bf2019b06d2ba297cff.jpg
a188f4684483fbffc3eb2ca9ee9581d0.jpg

Thanks for the tip Steve! I guess that will give a much better estimation of the size compared to the inner circumference... We learn from mistakes :)

Echter Borsalino. Nobelsca model in the colour misto Lodola. Not strictly a homburg but a soft felt hat with an overwelt curled brim. Anyone calling it a homburg anyway is immediately forgiven (I hope I am too). Anything to prevent the homburg nation thread to sink to page five.
A substantial hat with the brim at 6,5cm and the crown 11,5cm at the center dent. Quite lightweight for a hat of these proportions with just 117 grams on the scale. Fits me like a dream. Mid-twenties to mid-thirties is an educated guess.
@Garrett has been kind and generous enough to let this one make the journey home to Europe, for which I can't thank him enough.

borsalino-nobelsca_01-jpg.178319
borsalino-nobelsca_02-jpg.178320
borsalino-nobelsca_03-jpg.178321
borsalino-nobelsca_04-jpg.178322
borsalino-nobelsca_05-jpg.178323
borsalino-nobelsca_06-jpg.178324
borsalino-nobelsca_07-jpg.178325
borsalino-nobelsca_08-jpg.178326
borsalino-nobelsca_09-jpg.178327
borsalino-nobelsca_11-jpg.178328
Stefan, This is such a fantastic hat. Congrats!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner