Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg or Bowler mishaped brims

internetgamble

New in Town
Hi,

How does one reshape the stiff brim of a Homburg or Bowler when its been lying on its side or squashed up against other stuff in a cupboard for years and has now lost its symmetry?

Do you wet it or steam it and then reshape while in this state?

I'm still looking for a nice big flat cap with no centre button or panelling - all seem to be too small and dainty - had no luck so far in charity shops or ebay etc...

Regards all

internetgamble

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
internetgamble said:
Hi,

How does one reshape the stiff brim of a Homburg or Bowler when its been lying on its side or squashed up against other stuff in a cupboard for years and has now lost its symmetry?

Do you wet it or steam it and then reshape while in this state?

I'm still looking for a nice big flat cap with no centre button or panelling - all seem to be too small and dainty - had no luck so far in charity shops or ebay etc...

Regards all

internetgamble

I would say steaming.

As fa as the cap, I don't think you could do a large one without paneling. The shape would not work.

The one piece are smaller due to necessity.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
The Brim isn't muc of a problem if you take the time. A home job the best I suggest is using a clothes iron though don't touch the felt with the iron, just pour the steam on the brim until it becomes maluable. Keep pushing the brim into the shape you want.

Check ou tthe felt hat basics thread.
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=6981
It's harder to do this with a bowler than it is with a fedora, though it is do able

internetgamble

New in Town
Hi Matt

Thanks for that - I did refer to your previous post regarding cleaning and general upkeep of hats - I'll give it a go and see where it takes me.

Cheers

Internetgamble

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou