Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg vs. Fedora? Which would be a better purchase?

Pompidou

One Too Many
At the end of the day, whether you get a tophat, bowler, homburg, fedora or beanie, all that'll matter is that you think you look great in it, because you'll have to wear it without looking like a guy who's wearing a hat he's not sure if he looks stupid in. There were rules for what hats were appropriate for what, but these days, rules don't amount to much. My very first fedora was an Indy repro from Dorfman Pacific - the overpriced fur felt version. Everybody loved it. I thought I looked dumb in it - felt very self conscious that I was, in fact, just wearing a costume. Throw in my leather jacket and khaki pants and it sealed the deal. It was a costume. Didn't matter how much everyone complained when I got a porkpie and gave the Indy away. If I made this thread to that audience, and I followed it, I'd have been miserable. There's only one opinion that matters when you're wearing a hat, I think, and that's your own. You must have some sort of vision of yourself wearing a hat - the idea in your head when you picture yourself wearing one at whatever meetings. I'd look for that hat if I were you. Bonus points if it happens to follow the rules. No loss if it doesn't.

The Homburg as reported above is more formal / dressy and much like Scottrace listed a dignitary type hat. I associate Homburgs with tycoons, businessmen and a bit more serious people like bankers. The way a fedora is worn can reflect both personality and emotional state of mind.

As to color, a black fedora is a serious color fedora. Black may remind people of some religeous sects or as the hat of the secret police in some countries. As a choice grey or brown might be suitable. A straw is good for summer too.

As to hot weather, there are lighter felts or some fedoras that have no liner to allow more heat to escape. Some people shy away from fur felt for the hot weather but one of the classic style safari hats is a furfelt, Most slouch hats are and cowboys wore furfelt cowboy hats in the heat. I usually wear a furfelt in the Southern California heat to keep the sun off my head. However i take the hat off to keep from overheating regularly and carry a hankie or bandana to wipe off now and then too. There comes a point when the heat gets the upper hand no matter what kind of hat one uses so airing out and wiping off persperation just goes with the territory. The most important thing is to limit sun exposure to limit skin problems in the now and in the future.

In my opinion.

rue

Having three very nice homburgs (light gray, navy, black), they very, very rarely get out of their boxes.

That's too bad. I like homburgs :)

Personally, I think it takes a certain kind of man to carry them off and I wouldn't think someone just starting out wearing hats should get a homburg for their first one, but then again I'm not a hat expert. I just know what I like [huh]

Last edited:

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, they are nice.

scotthomburg.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
That's too bad. I like homburgs :)

Personally, I think it takes a certain kind of man to carry them off and I wouldn't think someone just starting out wearing hats should get a homburg for their first one, but then again I'm not a hat expert. I just know what I like [huh]

I think it does take time to get used to them, as it does for other hats.

They do as scotrace points out look great.

5572281766_443c2e694b.jpg

I find homburgs very comfortable to wear... nicely balanced and the brim is out of your face. If you are considering vintage, older styles will have nice wide flat brims with less curl and might actually be a bit less formidable to wear. This is a 70+ year old black Barbisio. I don't pay much attention to dress codes, I am as likely to wear my hats with a t-shirt as with a suit. I think if you have fun with your hats, they will suit you well regardless of style.

barbisio1.jpg

billyspew

One Too Many
I find homburgs very comfortable to wear... nicely balanced and the brim is out of your face. If you are considering vintage, older styles will have nice wide flat brims with less curl and might actually be a bit less formidable to wear. This is a 70+ year old black Barbisio. I don't pay much attention to dress codes, I am as likely to wear my hats with a t-shirt as with a suit. I think if you have fun with your hats, they will suit you well regardless of style.

Great way to show of the (almost unknown) versatility of the homburg.
I do wear them as much in a non-formal setting as I do in a formal setting:
4589722753_9837db927d_m.jpg

fmw

One Too Many
Here's my light gray vintage homburg. Personally, i think it can go with a wide variety of clothes. Here I'm wearing it with a topcoat just to hide the fact that I'm dressed in T-shirt and jeans underneath. Maybe one day I'll wear it the T-shirt and jeans and no top coat.

homburgn2.jpg

I wear mine with casual attire most of time. Today people really have no idea about the formal side.

This guy did the same thing in 1925. Looks like his go to hat based on the condition. Also unique crease. :)

5572410296_43088a8f60_o.gif

By the way great photos! I really enjoy seeing Homburgs in action!

5471616181_aeceed8089_z.jpg

Last edited:

rue

^ lol

All of you gentlemen look wonderful, but you're all 'old hats' at this.... sorry bad joke :p It's true though. Someone just starting out should go for something more subdued, in my opinion. Okay, I'll stop......

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Many of those shown here also are a bit "de-formalized" by denting the sides a bit, which is not traditional, but gives it a 1920's vibe. More casual looking.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
SLOshank, having lived in SLO for a spell, I'll weigh in with a light felt fedora or classy straw, although you gents with the homburgs are a fine ad for them!

Scotrace and Rue, I couldn't help but notice you both live in Ohio. ;)

JimWagner

Practically Family
I tend to wear my homburgs in the winter, especially with a top coat. It's too hot where I live for much of anything but Panamas in the summer. I do have a light colored straw homburg that I'll break out in the summer if the occasion is formal enough, though.

I'm betting that no matter what hat you (OP) decide to buy, it will not be the only hat you end up with, though. ;)

Danny Ocean

A-List Customer
Personally, I prefer a Fedora/Trilby.......and it helps if there's a "Mrs Mop" on hand, to give it a quick brush over!

GoodwoodRevival019.jpg

What looks good on one guy, may look completely out of place on another. As to which is the better purchase, I don't think there's much to choose between them?

Danny O

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR