Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg vs. Fedora? Which would be a better purchase?

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Damn! on my monitor T-pain's hat looks like it's made of chain mail-- I so hope so. It matches his teeth. I'd love to own a chain mail top hat!

Anyway, buy a homburg and a fedora.

Amazon even has homburgs... Would this hat be a piece of junk? http://www.amazon.com/New-Black-Godfather-Homburg-Fedora/dp/B002AK3RP8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1301731913&sr=8-2 The reason I ask is that I actually like the brim/crown relation, they have my size so to speak (XXL) and it's cheap. Any input on this hat or a better one for a low price in 7 3/4 or 7 7/8 would be appreciated. Thanks so much again.

As Scottrace listed a hat maker that is of better reputation uses actual number sizes so when you see S/M/L/XL/XXL instead of 7-1/4 or the metric 58 know that it is done to consolidate sizes so the fit is less precise. It indicates more of an expediter than craft manufacturer. The maker is not actually listed that I can see in the ad but the reviewers mention a new factory outlet.

Wool can be serviceable and make a decent hat but it does not have as long life and durability of a fur felt hat. Wool usually can't be cleaned and reblocked while fur felt can. For the money it may be a reasonable hat but most here would probably say if you are buying it to wear a lot go with fur felt.

Buying on line may save you money but it can cost you time, money and frustration if things don't go right. If time permits, you might consider a ride to the big city and visit one or more hat shops to try on some hats and get an idea as to look and fit. Another route is to look at vintage at thrift stores or via Ebay when you have a good idea as to actual size and such. Ebay is a whole other discussion.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
The problem with a homburg is if you are looking at examples in threads here you are seeing Fur felt ones and this wool one is an whole other story. I know the price is right. I have a wool felt pork pie that I wear in real bad weather.

SLOshank

New in Town
I don't know if these are good examples but the homburg in this image sure looks a lot cleaner/nicer (in my opinion) than the fedoras:
3car.jpg

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
To me, the fedoras are being over-styled in that image. The guy on the left has a lot of cocky tilt, and Redford looks terrible in the Hollywood brim (proving again that there are only 3 guys that can pull it off, and if Redford isn't one of them, you're probably not one of them).

Tone

A-List Customer
3car.jpg

All three nice hats, really.
Anyone who's owned a fedora long enough knows the brim on the fedora in the center isn't locked into that chosen style. The style on the crown is terrific! Would only take a nudge to get that brim in some other angle to get a completely different vibe off that fedora. Great hat! Yeah, the Homburg's neat, too.

SLOshank

New in Town
3car.jpg

All three nice hats, really.
Anyone who's owned a fedora long enough knows the brim on the fedora in the center isn't locked into that chosen style. The style on the crown is terrific! Would only take a nudge to get that brim in some other angle to get a completely different vibe off that fedora. Great hat! Yeah, the Homburg's neat, too.
Paul Newman seems to look better in a fedora:
qTAq5DAakQGvP3V.jpg

facade

A-List Customer
That's what I needed to know, thanks. Does a feather really equate to junk? Thanks again.

No it doesn't. Many vintage fedoras came with a feather. It is less common with new fedoras. I can't recall ever seeing a feather on a Homburg though. So that may suggest the manufacturer is targetting a less refined clientele to whom quality is not as important as appearance.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot