Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homemade christmas decorations...

Ada Veen

Practically Family
We are starting to get our house nice and christmassy, and I was wondering, does anyone have any ideas for nice, homemade christmas decorations?

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
I love to make popcorn and cranberry garlands for the tree--those are easy to do while snuggling down to watch a Christmas movie. This year me and my little brother are making dozens of paper snowflakes to hang from the ceiling.

true vintage

New in Town
sweetfrancaise said:
I love to make popcorn and cranberry garlands for the tree--those are easy to do while snuggling down to watch a Christmas movie. This year me and my little brother are making dozens of paper snowflakes to hang from the ceiling.
How do you make that? Curious[huh]

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
It's really easy--thread a strong needle with white thread (don't make it too long, or you'll get tangled), knot the ends together, and push the needle through your cranberries and popcorn (with the 'corn, use unbuttered, and try going through the thicker, soft part of the kernel when you're threading), then tie your strings together once you're finished. I usually do a pattern of one cranberry and five pieces of popcorn. You should all post pictures of your trees once you're done!

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
After Christmas you can hang those popcorn garlands outside for the birds to enjoy. They make great bird-feeders, just make sure you find a dry spot to hang them. Even the birds dislike soggy popcorn! lol

Paper chains are vintage, easy, and colorful!
Pomander oranges are also very vintage, but with the cost of cloves, may be a bit extravagant.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
I made some ornaments last year with thick craft paper and wire in various abstract shapes. I really like the shapes,layers, and textures found on 50s fabric and recreated some of it with the paper and wire. I used a piece of atomic looking fabric as a tree skirt and a string of white lights. The ornaments are pretty fragile but came out really cool and could be customized to anything you like.

Miss Brill

One Too Many
If anyone has children, these are from a Christmas crafts book I've had since I was a little girl:
2081737390_f4d5cfeca3.jpg

2080950827_c57a65b273.jpg

2080949421_1ac6d5be49.jpg

2081733314_099465c175.jpg

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
We made christmas ball ornaments ages ago.

Get a styrofoam ball from the craft store.

Get a whole mess of straight pins - flat head or fancy ball ends.

Use sequins and ribbon and beads.

Stick sequin or beads onto straight pins.

Jam pin/bead combination into styrofoam.

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat

Repeat - to create a pattern - or not

When you're done, you've got a nice ornament for the tree (weighs about as much as a Buick, but it's pretty).

dv

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
DavidVillaJr said:
We made christmas ball ornaments ages ago.

Get a styrofoam ball from the craft store.

Get a whole mess of straight pins - flat head or fancy ball ends.

Use sequins and ribbon and beads.

Stick sequin or beads onto straight pins.

Jam pin/bead combination into styrofoam.

I've also done this using those thread covered balls. (I hope you know what I mean :eek: ) That way you don't have to cover the whole thing. When I was a kid we used ribbons and other trims with this project too.

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Another old timey decoration we used to make used a balloon and some thread coated with starch (I think).

Blow up the balloon.

Pull thread through starch solution (don't remember what sort of ratio of starch to water, or if straight starch) while wrapping around balloon.

When starch is dry, pop balloon and remove.

You now have a pretty, hollow, stringy decoration. :)

dv

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo