Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HOMGURG HERESY??

freehandbash

New in Town
tanda_daddyshats181-1.jpg

I know I may be called a hat heretic by some here on this forum for even considering such customization plans, but I'm thinking about
taking this tan/grey 7 1/4 early 50's Dobbs fifteen homburg (near mint, only the rear sweatband seam had been ripped apart probably from stretching it,prior to being acquisitioned by me.) and taking off just the ribbon around the edge NOT cutting the brims width down yet. Then cut the brim back to about 2 7/16" which will only be taking off a 3/16 inch or less(which is not much). The brims new width will then be about 1/4 out from the previous ribbons factory sewn line, then sew through the same holes with color matched thread "ALA" playboy style. then of course flaten out the brim with water and/or steam. Now keep in mind it will probably look great when I'm done as "this aint my first rodeo" I assure you. I've been doing full resto's and customizations for over 25 years as a hobbiest. Though it'll be my first attempt to redo a curled edge burg into a raw edge playboy style. Seriously, study one of your homburgs and see if you can figure out the proposal that I am considering. Time consuming? yes, but I have plenty at this time and as I have stated earlier, I enjoy working on hats.
Now, I'm wanting to do this for 2 reasons. one, I have several homburgs like it. two, I would wear it more often because I like fedoras more than burgs..

If there is one that do'nt want me to commit homburg herisy there are two ways you might stop me. offer to purchase this hat to save it from a presumed lunitic :) or convince me that it can't work out as I have planed for some unforseen reason. The only thing I'm not 100% sure about is the curled edge may not flatten out perfectly. I THINK it should with the ribbon off but If you've known anyone thats tried this,let me know.
Hey, if it works well just think, You can buy homburgs way less than comprable fedoras ;) now, before you tie me to a burning stake without thinking much about it, really try to consider an upside. thanks.
I'm looking forward to your replys.........

Bustercat

A-List Customer
Put the hat down and back away slowly, fella.

Seriously though, why not just buy a brand new hat and do that to it? You'll make back the money, considering a fine 50's hat will only get more valuable. There's less and less of em in the world everyday.
I think you'll be sorry in a few years if you alter this one.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I'm just going to give you my opinion here; I personally wouldn't do it. That's a beautiful tan homburg. Actually, I believe I've yet to even see online photos of a tan one. I would suggest keeping it as it is. It's your hat of course, but I feel as if there's nothing wrong with that homburg, it's nice! :eusa_clap

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I have myself converted a homburg, but I would advise against this project. That is a beauty of a hat. Sell it and find something else to mess around with.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Yeps said:
I have myself converted a homburg, but I would advise against this project. That is a beauty of a hat. Sell it and find something else to mess around with.

I don't mean to take this thread too off topic, but I was wondering about that hat of yours, Yeps. Would you say that you regret your decision to convert the homburg into a fedora, or is it better for you the way it is now? That's a nice hat by the way.

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
Homburgs are made to be well.... homburgs
There are plenty of fedora's out there.
I am willing to buy this hat from you in efforts to sway you from preforming your plan of action.
Jeff Connors
President of S.A.H (save a homburg) Assiciation

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
It won't work!

When the edge roll is put on a homburg it stretches the felt at the edge of the brim. Unless you cut ALL of the rolled edge off, the brim won't want to take a new shape. You won't be able to get the back of the brim to curl properly for a fedora and the sides will want to curl too much.

The hat will experience a serious identity crisis and could possibly disintegrate as it constantly tries to return to its "proper" shape.

Better you should sell it to a homburg lover and rescue a hat you can love as is.

If you need more convincing I can come up with even more BS!

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
J B said:
I don't mean to take this thread too off topic, but I was wondering about that hat of yours, Yeps. Would you say that you regret your decision to convert the homburg into a fedora, or is it better for you the way it is now? That's a nice hat by the way.

I certainly wear it more as it is now, but now I am lacking an appropriate hat for black tie. I don't regret it though. I think I would have probably been better off trying to trade it, not because it is a homburg, but because it is a smidge too small. Oh well. It is how it is now, and I love wearing it.

Feraud

Bartender
Sell it and buy the fedora you want.

In reply to this comment, a personal peeve and plea to vintage hatwearers..
freehandbash said:
(near mint, only the rear sweatband seam had been ripped apart probably from stretching it,prior to being acquisitioned by me.)
For pete's sake, if a hat doesn't fit you don't buy it or sell it and get one that does! Our hat wearing generation is absolutely destroying vintage fedoras that have survived in wearable condition for the past 70+ years!
I cannot tell you how many stretched and destroyed hatbands I've (we all have) come across due to sizing up and/or unnecessary leather sweatband treatments.
Let's treat these fedoras with some respect so they last another 70 years.

My daily speech is over. :)

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I don't cave to ultimatums. You'll have a hard time selling a chopped hat should you not like the results. If you're really willing to go all the way, burn it and post the video. We've got a DJ who can set it to music.

Boxytheboxed

New in Town
I like it how it is, but that shouldn't matter to you. Unless there is a technical reason as to why it wouldn't work, you should do what makes you happy. Or just sell it so someone as is.

freehandbash

New in Town
Crazy like a fox!

I fully expected these replys to be just as they are, or worse really:;) :eusa_clap Believe me, I completely understand as I am also a member of a vintage Martin guitar forum. I own and cherish old guitars (hats too)and feel towards them as you all do here about hats,maybe more. I can imagine the blazing comments that would be hurled towards an individual who's intent was to take a 30's model original,mint D- 28 Martin and turn it into a modern cutaway:rage: We would have probably verbaly beaten the poor guy MUCH worse than you guys have me so far. Course you still may not be through...... I even got a very polite long PM pleading for me not to do this "thing";)

Now, I warned you guys in one of my first comments I was somewhat of a leg puller. lol And, also that I had some really nice hats for sale;) What better way to insure a quick sale?:D Sorry guys, you've been x'd
so Jeff, If you are the kind that can take an old fashioned chain yank, I'd much rather trade you a hat for it. If not, it will be up for trade/sell along with others soon now that I've learned how to post pics here, And brought your attention to one of my gorgeous hats. I guess if Brad has read this post someone ought to quickly go over to his house and try to recessitate him. lol lol

freehandbash

New in Town
Now, I will say this; A hundred years ago,(give or take);) I contemplated doing this same "action". But as I said at the 1st, I've never done it. Could'nt bring myself to even when I was young-er.
Ya'll be good sports and think happy thoughts once again.

Feraud said:
Sell it and buy the fedora you want.

In reply to this comment, a personal peeve and plea to vintage hatwearers..

For pete's sake, if a hat doesn't fit you don't buy it or sell it and get one that does! Our hat wearing generation is absolutely destroying vintage fedoras that have survived in wearable condition for the past 70+ years!
I cannot tell you how many stretched and destroyed hatbands I've (we all have) come across due to sizing up and/or unnecessary leather sweatband treatments.
Let's treat these fedoras with some respect so they last another 70 years.

My daily speech is over. :)

While it's undoubtedly true that oodles of old hats have suffered significant damage at the hands of new owners bent on stretching or converting or doing whatever to turn those hats into something they aren't (I've done it myself), it is also undoubtedly true that sweatbands, like everything else, last only so long. I have handled absolutely pristine old hats, with little if any sign of wear, whose sweatbands looked good as new but were on the verge of splitting. Such splitting usually occurs where the leather is weakened by the stitch holes -- at the rear seam and/or where it is attached to the reed tape (in the case of reeded sweatbands) or where it is stitched directly to the felt (in the case of unreeded sweatbands).

So my daily speech is a variation on one I've delivered before, to wit (or lack thereof): A major factor in there still being vintage hats in such fine condition is that hats went out of fashion. They were relegated to the back shelves and the attics where, with a bit of luck (no moths, for instance), they rested away for decade upon decade in the condition they were in back when they went into storage, until the advent of the digital age, when folks realized they could sell those old lids for substantial sums on eBay and the like.

Untold millions of old hats were donated to charity thrift stores or just tossed in the trash during those intervening years, but hats were once so ubiquitous that if even a small fraction of them survive, that's still a whole lotta hats.

If you wear a hat, you put it at some level of risk, even if you take all reasonable precautions. It pains me to know I've done anything to diminish a vintage hat -- a hat that has survived 60 or 70 or 80 years in fine condition -- so the truly splendid old hats in my personal collection rarely get worn. But still, they do get worn.

There are better and worse conditions for keeping the materials that make up a hat. Felt lasts a long, long time. Leather tends to disintegrate sooner. And deadstock grosgrain ribbon might show an undesirable indication of age, a slight discoloration at its edges. I've heard this phenomenon referred to as "fabric rust." I've seen old cavalry uniforms in museums that changed color from apparently nothing more than exposure to air for something more a century.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
tonyb said:
There are better and worse conditions for keeping the materials that make up a hat. Felt lasts a long, long time. Leather tends to disintegrate sooner. And deadstock grosgrain ribbon might show an undesirable indication of age, a slight discoloration at its edges. I've heard this phenomenon referred to as "fabric rust." I've seen old cavalry uniforms in museums that changed color from apparently nothing more than exposure to air for something more a century.
Actually only the edges are exposed to light as the roll of ribbon sits exposed while the interior portions are covered by multiple layers. Hence fading due mostly to UV from light exposure shows up as slightly faded edges. You may experience the same phenomena in a much faster time frame if you have used roll film(with the paper backing such as 120/220) and load and unload under bright conditions. Shows exposure on some of the edges when developed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner