Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hornskov Hats - custom Danish hatter

I went ahead and ordered a custom hat from them yesterday. I'm real new into hats in general, but I have been enjoying my current one a lot (mostly during hikes and such), so I went ahead and splurged on a custom, pure beaver western weight hat.

I can't wait to see the result.
Warning! The thrill of opening a parcel containing a brand new custom hat is thoroughly addicting.

The Shoe

One Too Many
I went ahead and ordered a custom hat from them yesterday. I'm real new into hats in general, but I have been enjoying my current one a lot (mostly during hikes and such), so I went ahead and splurged on a custom, pure beaver western weight hat.

I can't wait to see the result.
Congratulations. I ordered two the same day!

Warning! The thrill of opening a parcel containing a brand new custom hat is thoroughly addicting.
I’m still relatively new to the game compared to many here, but I can already attest to this!

Pellie

One Too Many
Hornskov 'the Henchman' in stone.
20210930_073129.jpg

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Interesting, thank you. Looks like by buying the prepounced felts it saves him a ton of time as he did not appear to do any pouncing at all!
I am certain that the video likely doesn't fully represent the body of work that he goes through. Even a pre-pounced body may need additional pouncing. Here is another video from 4 years ago, there is a small clip of him pouncing the brim, caution is that this video is clearly promotional and heavy on the dramatizations.

BKM

New in Town
I am certain that the video likely doesn't fully represent the body of work that he goes through. Even a pre-pounced body may need additional pouncing. Here is another video from 4 years ago, there is a small clip of him pouncing the brim, caution is that this video is clearly promotional and heavy on the dramatizations.

I was about to make a similar reply. I have read that Fepsa offers felts already pounced but what do I know? I have 3 hats from Hornskov and I am delighted with all three but I have no clue as to the whereabouts of his source for felt bodies.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
From my sample size of exactly three FEPSA bodies, I can say this; the first, the cypress body with 'special pounce 1200' did not need any additional pouncing and I blocked it as is. The moonshine felt could maybe benefit from a pass with a high grit, but I left it as is (can always go back later). The beaver/mink western weight seemed like it had a finer pounce on the crown and might need some additional finishing on the (very stiff) brim.

The 'special pounce 1200' is apparently offered in darker colored felts. It's like halfway between a regular finish and a velour. I can definitely see how one could crank out a few hats with relative ease with these felts. Even with some minimal additional pouncing, compared to the time one would otherwise spend, I can see how a one person shop could put out a decent volume of hats.

From my sample size of exactly three FEPSA bodies, I can say this; the first, the cypress body with 'special pounce 1200' did not need any additional pouncing and I blocked it as is. The moonshine felt could maybe benefit from a pass with a high grit, but I left it as is (can always go back later). The beaver/mink western weight seemed like it had a finer pounce on the crown and might need some additional finishing on the (very stiff) brim.

The 'special pounce 1200' is apparently offered in darker colored felts. It's like halfway between a regular finish and a velour. I can definitely see how one could crank out a few hats with relative ease with these felts. Even with some minimal additional pouncing, compared to the time one would otherwise spend, I can see how a one person shop could put out a decent volume of hats.
The pouncing process for me is the aspect of hatting that takes up the most time. Then comes the sewing but then I do it by hand and I am very slow at it. In the next month I will get around to making a hat with my 1200 Cypress felt.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Hi Y'all.
Can someone tell Me if the order delivery times ( 10-12 weeks- as per website ) is the normal range, or have some experienced quicker/ slower order delivery times. Thanks

The Shoe

One Too Many
Hi Y'all.
Can someone tell Me if the order delivery times ( 10-12 weeks- as per website ) is the normal range, or have some experienced quicker/ slower order delivery times. Thanks
From memory, I think my first hat was slightly early. The second was a bit late, but it was close to Christmas and Peter promised to try to get it to me by Christmas and didn't quite make it. It didn't bother me, because I had asked him about it and he had been clear that it would possibly not make it. If it hadn't been for Covid delivery delays, it probably would have reached me in time. We (my wife and I) ended up getting our Christmas presents on New Year's Day.
This year, they've promised they can make it in time for Christmas, so I'm very hopeful.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Shoe, Thank You for answering. I am considering placing an order with them. It would be my first made to order hat.
From memory, I think my first hat was slightly early. The second was a bit late, but it was close to Christmas and Peter promised to try to get it to me by Christmas and didn't quite make it. It didn't bother me, because I had asked him about it and he had been clear that it would possibly not make it. If it hadn't been for Covid delivery delays, it probably would have reached me in time. We (my wife and I) ended up getting our Christmas presents on New Year's Day.
This year, they've promised they can make it in time for Christmas, so I'm very hopeful.

The Shoe

One Too Many
Shoe, Thank You for answering. I am considering placing an order with them. It would be my first made to order hat.
No problem. I certainly recommend them. They’re beautiful hats, but prices have gone up recently. I got 25% off my order this time, but not sure I’ll be able to justify the expense again after the two I have on order.

Samson25

Familiar Face
Thanks. That's why I asked. You and Pellie seem to be familiar and happy with this hatmaker.
It's a big chunk of change for Me, but if the ROI looks good...We'll see. Thank You again.

Reauxdom

New in Town
I remember when this came up a while back. The problem is that Cathrine said it was not petersham, this, to me, indicates that she knew what petersham is. She also made distinction between petersham and grosgrain so I just don’t understand how she could assure me the ribbon wasn’t petersham.

Water under the bridge. I don’t harbor any hard feelings, but I am reluctant to order again.
Please Mr Deadlyhandsome, give it a break. You have posted this complaint over and over and over and over. We get you don't like it so please, get up off your behind and return the hat and tell them to replace the ribbon for Pete's sake, but please stop whining about the ribbon on your hat. We are tired hearing about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21