Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horsehide Label

Popeye722

New in Town
I found one on through FB. Thanks!

Hi,
I am looking to buy a replacement horsehide label for a jacket that I am having lined. Does anyone happen to have one for sale or know of a source?

Thanks!
Dustin

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think most vendors are reluctant to sell labels from fear of people putting a “good” label in a crappy jacket and trying to sell it off.

Can’t you just get the old label moved from the old to the new liner? That’s what I did when I had my vintage Brooks relined.

trapp

Practically Family
Agreed. It's not clear whether the jacket you have is vintage, and whether you still have the old label. If you have the old label it's totally appropriate to have that label sewn into the new liner. If the old label is missing, it's missing.

Seems spurious to try to source a random label and then sew it into a jacket that the label was never meant to 'label'. It also misleads anyone in the future trying to 'read' the jacket, that is, to figure out who made it, when, and what hides were used. Others might disagree, but in my opinion it's more or less creating a fake history of the jacket (even if that's not your intention).

Popeye722

New in Town
Agreed. It's not clear whether the jacket you have is vintage, and whether you still have the old label. If you have the old label it's totally appropriate to have that label sewn into the new liner. If the old label is missing, it's missing.

Seems spurious to try to source a random label and then sew it into a jacket that the label was never meant to 'label'. It also misleads anyone in the future trying to 'read' the jacket, that is, to figure out who made it, when, and what hides were used. Others might disagree, but in my opinion it's more or less creating a fake history of the jacket (even if that's not your intention).

I get what you're saying. Not trying to mislead anyone. It was for a Indy Jacket that is being made in horsehide. I just wanted to add a label to show off that it isn't steer or the other common Indy Jacket leathers. I found a jacket maker that offered to sell me one of his labels.

Also, Spurious is a great word that I intend to work into my vocabulary.

Popeye722

New in Town
The maker of an HH jacket doesn't have a label stating it's HH? That makes zero sense...

Yeah, its weird. The same thing happened on my Wested Indy Jacket that was heavy lamb skin. You can have a jacket made in different Lamb, goat, cow, and horse hides but they don't put any label in the jacket saying which skin was used.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats