Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween Chromexel Steer not dyed all the way through

wdw

One Too Many
I am 6 foot or 182cm in my bare feet

I'd be very careful about your sleeve length then. I'm 5'11" and had 26.5" on my Teamster (previous regime) which were simply too long. I got 0.75" taken off recently and they're still pretty long.

It also depends on the true shoulder cut/width, as if that's wide then you'll look like a gorilla.

FredS

One of the Regulars
I'd be very careful about your sleeve length then. I'm 5'11" and had 26.5" on my Teamster (previous regime) which were simply too long. I got 0.75" taken off recently and they're still pretty long.

It also depends on the true shoulder cut/width, as if that's wide then you'll look like a gorilla.

I have my brothers jacket here which fits me like a tee. I measured his jacket from shoulder seam to shoulder seam across the top of my shoulders whilst wearing it, just like the size chart on Al's website shows. That measurement comes to 52cm or 21.5 inches. From the shoulder seam I measured down the outside of the sleeve to the end of the sleeve across the outside of my elbow. That comes to 27 inches. The end of the sleeve of my brothers jacket with my arm hanging straight down comes to about a half an inch above the first knuckle of my thumb. When I hold my arms horizontally straight in front of me the end of the sleeve comes to the part where the wrist goes over into where my hand starts.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
It's an exclusive gentlemen's club that requires significantly longer than average upper extremities to become a member.

sshack

A-List Customer
Okay, so here's some pics.

I'd like to make it clear:

I'm not blaming Aero in anyway. I'm sure there are fluctuations in leather (being an organic product). This is simply to show that variations exist.
Hopefully, this will help anyone considering a black FQHH CXL jacket.

Again, I don't mind the color fade, but I wish it happened 4 years from now, instead of a few months of very light wear. 5 years from now (which is early in the life cycle), will there be any color left at all???

Here's my jacket. The dye has rubbed off the shoulders. No scratches, just color fade.

Sample FQHH circa 2010.

Sample FQHH circa 2013.

Front of 2010. I beat the hell out of it, and it's held up admirably.

Last edited:

wdw

One Too Many
I like the fading. Not sure where it'll end up though, but interesting. What do the middle two pics tell us?

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I don't see a problem with the left shoulder, at least not one that would bother me. Looks like it might have occurred from seat belt harness rub?

sshack

A-List Customer
I don't see a problem with the left shoulder, at least not one that would bother me. Looks like it might have occurred from seat belt harness rub?

Perhaps, but that would be more worrisome. I've driven with it on about a half-dozen times. Honestly, I doubt it's seat belt wear. The color is just wearing off. There is also color fade on the right shoulder and up and down both arms, but not as much.

sshack

A-List Customer
I like the fading. Not sure where it'll end up though, but interesting. What do the middle two pics tell us?

Hi, WDW. I just wanted to post side pics of the two leather samples. The 2013 pic is zoomed in a little more (not intentional). The leather thickness is quite similar for both samples.

hyptul

Familiar Face
It really is a rapid loss of color. My cordovan FQHH CXL Highwayman is losing color in the eight to ten times slower.

FredS

One of the Regulars
Perhaps, but that would be more worrisome. I've driven with it on about a half-dozen times. Honestly, I doubt it's seat belt wear. The color is just wearing off. There is also color fade on the right shoulder and up and down both arms, but not as much.

I tend to agree with you sshack. To me that looks like a bit too much color loss especially on that shoulder seam.

I tend to agree with you sshack. To me that looks like a bit too much color loss especially on that shoulder seam.

Say it isn't so. You guys ever own leather before?
You've obviously never worn it for very long because that's why people get leather! It's supposed to wear and age. UNCLE!

sshack

A-List Customer
Say it isn't so. You guys ever own leather before?
You've obviously never worn it for very long because that's why people get leather! It's supposed to wear and age. UNCLE!

Butte, the issue isn't the aging. It's the SPEED of the aging. I've worn that jacket indoors most of the time, trying to break it in. It's been outside in the "extreme" S. Calif fall weather about 6 times, lol. If this is the color loss after a 2 months of mostly indoor wear, well... you can see where I'm going. Again, check out the sample from 2010. I beat that sample to hell, more than I would ever try on a real jacket. And compared to my jacket, there's barely any color loss on the sample. Night and Day difference.

FredS

One of the Regulars
Butte, the issue isn't the aging. It's the SPEED of the aging. I've worn that jacket indoors most of the time, trying to break it in. It's been outside in the "extreme" S. Calif fall weather about 6 times, lol. If this is the color loss after a 2 months of mostly indoor wear, well... you can see where I'm going. Again, check out the sample from 2010. I beat that sample to hell, more than I would ever try on a real jacket. And compared to my jacket, there's barely any color loss on the sample. Night and Day difference.

I have a sample of Horweens Chromexel Black Steer here and been rubbing and scrounging and scuffing and wringing it for a few days now...the brown patina is showing through and a while ago I went and purchased a tin of RAPIDE Leather Cream at the local shoemaker here in town. RAPIDE is a Dutch product and they have an extensive range of leather treatment products for shoes and for all kinds of saddles, bridles and so on. The tin of leather cream I purchased is black and I tried it on the sample piece of leather. Wow! man....it makes it look fantastic and restores the parts where the black has turned to brown into a very dark blackish brown (like very very dark pure chocolate) and brings out a lovely luster and patina, makes it supple and soft as hell and even smells nice...like almonds. It contains no harmful or unnatural ingredients. You rub it on with your fingers and the warmth of your skin just melts the stuff and it turns into like an oil. Maybe it's for sale there where you are too or perhaps a similar product. Only costs Euro 6-00 here.
IMG_GRA_1481_g.jpg

Last edited:

sshack

A-List Customer
I have a sample of Horweens Chromexel Black Steer here and been rubbing and scrounging and scuffing and wringing it for a few days now...the brown patina is showing through and a while ago I went and purchased a tin of RAPIDE Leather Cream at the local shoemaker here in town. RAPIDE is a Dutch product and they have an extensive range of leather treatment products for shoes and for all kinds of saddles, bridles and so on. The tin of leather cream I purchased is black and I tried it on the sample piece of leather. Wow! man....it makes it look fantastic and restores the parts where the black has turned to brown and brings out a lovely luster and patina, makes it supple as hell and even smells nice...like almonds. It contains no harmful or unnatural ingredients. You rub it on with your fingers and the warmth of your skin just melts the stuff and it turns into like an oil. Maybe it's for sale there where you are too or perhaps a similar product. Only costs Euro 6-00 here.
View attachment 5946

I think you're confusing the term "patina." Patina is not just the brown hide color that is revealed when the dye is rubbed away (aka color loss). Patina is "additive" not lossy. Patina is an additional tarnish or sheen layer that appears on top of the existing dye with age.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy