Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween Chromexel Steer not dyed all the way through

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
12 pages almost on the durabillity of Horween CXL .. :D

1. I would have no concerns re. durabillity of CXL ... it has almost 100 years of history behind it ...... it's track record as both a motorcycle leather material and also a workwear material is clear.

2. The look / feel and wear of Horwen CXL is almost unique in the leather industry ... there are many similars but no identical leathers ..... this is the legacy of Horween.

It's horses for courses .. many people I have shown Horween leather jackets to have commented on how heavy, stiff and thick it is compared to modern thinner and lighter hides. It's horses ( or cows) for courses ..... there are many leathers out there and more than enough to satisfy any taste / preference. Many on here love the heritage and pedigree of Horween CXL ... and purchase it accordingly, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

HTH

+1

FredS

One of the Regulars
Back to fit: It has been my experience that the custom jackets from Scotland are built for a trim fit. Sometimes the fit is such that even a thin sweater is more than can be worn underneath. If you want a looser fit, to layer a sweater for instance, let them know. Otherwise, it may be a tighter fit than you were expecting.

Good advice thanks. I sent them the following measurements in which I took account of the fit by mentioning that my chest and waist measurements were taken over a thick wintershirt and that my shoulder and arm measurements were taken off my brothers jacket while I was wearing it and which fits me perfectly. I hope and trust that they will be able to work according to that to make me the perfect fitting jacket.
Final Correct Measurements.jpg
Fred's arm circumference measurements.jpg
Back A.jpg

FredS

One of the Regulars
12 pages almost on the durabillity of Horween CXL .. :D

As you say .. the CXL Steer .. in black / burgandy / brown ... or any other colour for that matter ... is hand applied and surface dyed ( not vat dipped but hand applied to the finished surface of the leather).

The base leather is dark brown and chrome tanned ( as opposed to veg tanned) ..... this results in a VERY hard wearing natural coloured hide which has a topcoat of pigment dye. Not only will it scrape of ( if you fall off your bike for example exposing the brown hide base layer) but equally it wears off with age and will also show some exposure when the jacket is assembled in corners etc. THIS IS NOT A FLAW ... just a feature of the hide ( and this is almost identical to the FQHH process with minor changes in treatment oils and fats).

(Note the veg tanned process results in a deep penetrtive dye since this is a vat soaked process ... so if you look at the suedded layer / back side of the leather it's black / brown / burgundy as per the front)

It wears very well ... and the colours wear in a unique and subtle fashion. The coulour doesnt crack or split but rather high points wear through exposing the brown base layer. If this is an issue it can easilly be touched up with either boot / shoe polish or leather dye :D ... although I've never had the need / inclination.

Note most chrome tanned leathers are the same .... aand likewise veg tanned ...... there are some vat diped chrome tanned leathers but these are few and far between.

Some high level points :

1. I would have no concerns re. durabillity of CXL ... it has almost 100 years of history behind it ...... it's track record as both a motorcycle leather material and also a workwear material is clear.

2. The look / feel and wear of Horwen CXL is almost unique in the leather industry ... there are many similars but no identical leathers ..... this is the legacy of Horween.

It's horses for courses .. many people I have shown Horween leather jackets to have commented on how heavy, stiff and thick it is compared to modern thinner and lighter hides. It's horses ( or cows) for courses ..... there are many leathers out there and more than enough to satisfy any taste / preference. Many on here love the heritage and pedigree of Horween CXL ... and purchase it accordingly, you pays yer money and takes yer choice.

HTH

Right on all points except: Horweens Chromexel is as you say Chrome tanned in a drum or vat but what you did not add is that it is then also veg tanned in a drum or vat. It is actually one of the few or only leathers that undergoes both processes. After the initial chrome tanning the hides are what is called "wet blue" due to the blue color they now have from the chrome tanning. The veg tanning gives it the brownish base color. There after it is hand dyed.
http://horween.com/101/chromexcel-2/

Last edited:

Plumbline

One Too Many
It is actually one of the few or only leathers that undergoes both processes. After the initial chrome tanning the hides are what is called "wet blue" due to the blue color they now have from the chrome tanning. The veg tanning gives it the brownish base color. There after it is hand dyed.

It's not unique in this .... Wet Blue is generally considered unfinished leather.

What is unique is HOW it is both Chrome and finished (Veg tanned and oiled) i.e what the constituents Horween use for the tanning liquors and also the oils / fats / waxes used for the post tanning processes. I have seen a dozen or so Chrome Tanned horse and steer hides ... from various tanneries and all except a couple have been hand / surface dyed ( no vat dying .. except one Chinese sampleand one Eastern European sample).

HTH

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Speak for yourself Butte --- I do not bicker, neither is there any wear on my jackets from namby-pamby seatbelts.....there is a little bit though from my dinky little man-bag.....

devilish

A-List Customer
So, am I reading this right? The OP wants a black jacket that will stay black but is not convinced the Horween leather he was sent will do that because it's only surface dyed not dyed all the way through?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points