Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween Chromexel Steer not dyed all the way through

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Actually, it is a tad more complicated. The leather is dyed all the way through, but in the wrong color.

Cheech

A-List Customer
Apologies in advance for keeping this undying thread alive! I'll say this: Prior to reading the thread, I had assumed that the black overdye Horween cowhide used by Johnson's Leathers in San Francisco was unique to Johnson's. I now gather that any black chromexel Horween hide is the same. This is good news to me! I love the look that results from the overdye over time.

FredS

One of the Regulars
So, am I reading this right? The OP wants a black jacket that will stay black but is not convinced the Horween leather he was sent will do that because it's only surface dyed not dyed all the way through?

No you are reading it wrong. That was the original issue but my opinion changed quite a bit as you would have noticed if you had read the entire thread.
I have been won over for the look that develops with time when the brown base color starts showing through the black top layer. Someone posted photo's in this thread showing a jacket that has undergone this aging process and it looks fantastic.

Last edited:

Lungomare

A-List Customer
You should be happy - you saved the costs for the gardener!:)

Original text by Aero Leather:

"The Savile Tweed Suit Method

This was a old favourite with the aristocracy when they still has estates, on taking delivery of a new Savile Row tweed suit, the Lords Of The Manor would give it to his gardener to wear for a couple of months so he could knock the newness out of it. His lordship then reclaimed the suit and wore it until it got too shabby for his tastes at which point, he gave it back to the gardener as a "keeper". This is a great method for breaking in a Horsehide jacket but does have a couple of minor drawbacks. Firstly this involves hiring a gardener that's the right size, and secondly, hiring one who is not going to abscond the second he gets a new Aero on his back.

Wearing A New Horsehide Jacket

This is much easier, just wear it, don't be precious with it, don't mollycoddle it, but don't ever hang it up on a hook at the back of the neck.

Otherwise, these jackets like to be treated roughly... but don't leave it on the back of a chair in a pub whatever you do, it'll be gone in a flash in most areas, quicker than you could say "Where's the gardener?""

Okay, so here's some pics.

I'd like to make it clear:

I'm not blaming Aero in anyway. I'm sure there are fluctuations in leather (being an organic product). This is simply to show that variations exist.
Hopefully, this will help anyone considering a black FQHH CXL jacket.

Again, I don't mind the color fade, but I wish it happened 4 years from now, instead of a few months of very light wear. 5 years from now (which is early in the life cycle), will there be any color left at all???

Here's my jacket. The dye has rubbed off the shoulders. No scratches, just color fade.

Sample FQHH circa 2010.

Sample FQHH circa 2013.

Front of 2010. I beat the hell out of it, and it's held up admirably.

sshack

A-List Customer
I apologize if I have been unclear, so let me state one more time, plainly.

The current aged look of my jacket appeared in 2 months of very light wear, mostly around the house. I am worried than in 1 or 2 years of normal wear, major patches of black color will be faded. That is what I do NOT want. That is not patina, that is just premature color fading.

I don't think I'm being naive or silly, but I would like my high quality black leather jacket to stay mostly, even moderately, black for at least a few years. At the current rate of color fade (just two months!), I doubt I'll make it that long.

When most of the color has faded, it's fair to say the jacket has a different look/vibe about it-- especially on black leather. One that I am not really fond of. It limits my choices of where I can wear the jacket. If I wanted an antiqued/vintage leather jacket now, I would have purchased one. I purchased this jacket based off of a leather sample, and the jacket I have does not match the characteristics of said sample.

That is all.

MuyJingo

One of the Regulars
For what it's worth, out of all the samples I got I pretty much dismissed the Horween CMXL Steer straight away.

During a very light scuff test I did on all the samples, a lot of brown was revealed very quickly and easily.

I'm all for wear and developing a unique character, but I don't want a black jacket to look mostly brown within a year...

For those who like that, it's great though I'm sure...

sshack

A-List Customer
Have you contacted the company who made your jacket and forwarded photos with your complaint..?
HD

I just recently sent an email w/ pic to Aero. And I didn't do it willy nilly. I've been on the fence for a while, not wanting to complain unless it was really justified. Unfortunately, the color fade is becoming a bigger issue as the weeks pass and I decided it was better to bring this to their attention after 2 months, instead of 12 months.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think you're absolutely right to bring it to their attention. Otherwise how can these potential issues be dealt with?

Lungomare

A-List Customer
But seriously now ...

The same is happening with my black FQ HH (1950's Flight Jacket) - worn since April this year for about 20 times, and there are the first color fadings starting at the seams. I agree with you, it is not the patina desired but a quick and unexpected fading of the color, which I don't like, too. And I am "pampering" my jackets - no rain, no hot-water-treatment, not throwing them on the floor, etc..

Will send pics in some days ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

P.S.:

Please quote the answer you get from Aero Leather here in the forum.

The current aged look of my jacket appeared in 2 months of very light wear, mostly around the house. I am worried than in 1 or 2 years of normal wear, major patches of black color will be faded. That is what I do NOT want. That is not patina, that is just premature color fading.

I don't think I'm being naive or silly, but I would like my high quality black leather jacket to stay mostly, even moderately, black for at least a few years. At the current rate of color fade (just two months!), I doubt I'll make it that long.

When most of the color has faded, it's fair to say the jacket has a different look/vibe about it-- especially on black leather. One that I am not really fond of. It limits my choices of where I can wear the jacket. If I wanted an antiqued/vintage leather jacket now, I would have purchased one. I purchased this jacket based off of a leather sample, and the jacket I have does not match the characteristics of said sample.

That is all.

FredS

One of the Regulars
But seriously now ...

The same is happening with my black FQ HH (1950's Flight Jacket) - worn since April this year for about 20 times, and there are the first color fadings starting at the seams. I agree with you, it is not the patina desired but a quick and unexpected fading of the color, which I don't like, too. And I am "pampering" my jackets - no rain, no hot-water-treatment, not throwing them on the floor, etc..

Will send pics in some days ...

Kind regards,

Johannes

P.S.:

Please quote the answer you get from Aero Leather here in the forum.

Well I was off the same mind that's why I started this thread but the following photo's someone posted convinced me that maybe it's not at all bad to have a black jacket develop the brown base starting to show through the black top layer. I could live with this :)
IMG_1281.jpg
IMG_1280.jpg

FredS

One of the Regulars

That is all.

Ssack this might be a silly suggestion, I don't know, but why not try some black shoe polish on the affected areas and see if that alleviates the problem somewhat. Try just a small section first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR