Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Horween FQHH and shoulder bags/backpacks

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Good point - I definitely want to play around with this. I was just going to use chamois to apply and buff, is that a proper technique? It sounds like the horse hair brush talk above has a questionable history, and maybe not the kind of advice I should follow... :)
I was looking at my brown fqhh LHB last night and noting the areas that have become shiny and smooth. I've had the jacket since 2012 and have done nothing to it but wear it, and it just looks better and better every time I look at it. If you leave it alone, it's going to get the look you want and, more importantly, it'll look like your jacket. There's some kind of weird compulsion in guys to mess with things: I know, because I have it, too. But do what Aero suggests and just wear it. The nature of Aero's brown leather will rapidly begin to display itself, and I guarantee you'll be glad you left it alone.

Witchtrip

One of the Regulars
Yes, the modification compulsion is an insanity... I totally agree. And I probably will just leave it alone (but very glad to know there are options :))

My jacket is black and I made the mistake of comparing the sample I got from Thurston which sold me on the FQHH - it's this shiny, gorgeous brownish/black. I completely understand hides are not a consistent thing from batch to batch, but, oh, if the jacket leather could've just been like the sample leather (my jacket is a much blacker black - more blue that the sample). I guess I'll have to order another one and roll the dice, haha.

Seriously, thanks to everyone for helping this rookie get some leather education!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
when you brush magnet onto a piece of steel over and over it would turn magnetic too right?
so if you brush your jacket with yak brush over and over again wouldn't the hide slowly turn into yak's...

tropicalbob

when you brush magnet onto a piece of steel over and over it would turn magnetic too right?
so if you brush your jacket with yak brush over and over again wouldn't the hide slowly turn into yak's...
The Irish writer, Flann O'Brien, in a book called "The Third Policeman," has something called "the Atomic Theory of Bicycles." Apparently, if you spend too much time on a bike the atoms in your ass merge with those of the seat, which explains why Irish policemen are often up to 80% bicycle and can often be found leaning against poles and walls. Great book. You bikers might want to keep this in mind.

IXL

One Too Many
Horsehide brushes are a good thing. The problem comes from Yak brushes. ;) They can be super expensive, particularly when purchased from the Internet from a certain website. :D Most of you more recent Lounge members will have no idea what I'm alluding to, but others such as Peacoat, HD, etc will. :rolleyes:

Ahhh, those were some fun days!

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, I well remember the Yak guy. Best that he is gone.

If you carry a messenger bag over one shoulder, that shoulder will wear. A simple solution is to alternate carrying on both shoulders so the wear will be even. If you carry a backpack, then both shoulders will wear evenly--not a problem.

Enjoy your jacket and wear it hard. I have so many it is difficult to get any of them to show patina.

Edward

Bartender
If you want to take a jacket back to black from being a bit worn, there are a couple of things I'd recommend. My dad once produced stunning results on an old bike jacket an ex-girlfriend of mine had with a tube of stuff designed to restore leather seats in vintage cars. It did the same job as Pecards in terms of taking dried out old leather back to being supple, but it also had a dye compound in it (full range of colours) to sort that too.

The other product I can recommend is something I found on Amazon, called "Black Leather Jacket". Just paint it on with a brush, takes a greying jacket right back to a deep, glossy black, al ready to go with your 'shiny shiny, shiny boots of leather....."

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
The Irish writer, Flann O'Brien, in a book called "The Third Policeman," has something called "the Atomic Theory of Bicycles." Apparently, if you spend too much time on a bike the atoms in your ass merge with those of the seat, which explains why Irish policemen are often up to 80% bicycle and can often be found leaning against poles and walls. Great book. You bikers might want to keep this in mind.
then one morning they wake up and find a little tricycle parked next to their bicycle that curiously looks human
tc859blor-ez-playmates-400x400-imae7y4gsgffdgnf.jpeg

Never heard of this book but I just ordered it.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It's a great book - it makes very little sense, but a very enjoyable 'ride'. O'Brien wrote it circa 1940, but it was so out there that it wasn't published til 1967.

tropicalbob

It's a great book - it makes very little sense, but a very enjoyable 'ride'. O'Brien wrote it circa 1940, but it was so out there that it wasn't published til 1967.
He sent it to one publisher who rejected it, so he stuck it in a drawer where it remained until after his death. It has a logic of its own, I think, that makes complete sense at the end.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo