Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How a Barbisio hat is made.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
Hey Al in honor of your new Barbisio a video on how their hats are made.[video=youtube;5wJ712TY4v0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5wJ712TY4v0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Richard Warren

Practically Family
I'm always impressed and frankly humbled when I see how the commonplace everyday things I take for granted are made.

I wonder how the process shown differs from the process used by Stetson, for example.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this, Ed! You always unearth the most interesting videos and other links and I just wanted to let you know that your efforts are most appreciated.

I wonder if the original Barbisio factory would have looked as bright and modern as the Cervo operation appears to be.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I would love to see a CBS Sunday morning segment with Several of our famous Custom Hatters featured. Now that would be something to watch.
Thanks Al anytime you want to get rid of that old Mallory Snow just let me know.;)

Last edited:

Alex

Practically Family
Definitely makes me realize that you'd have to have a lot of patience and concentration to make hats.

They must buy processed fur since that process is missing. At TONAK I saw the complete process from fur pelt to hat but they are a much bigger operation. Does HatCo and Winchester do the same?

They must buy processed fur since that process is missing. At TONAK I saw the complete process from fur pelt to hat but they are a much bigger operation. Does HatCo and Winchester do the same?

According to Winchester, the only place that takes fur pelts & produces the processed fur is in Europe, Portugal if I recall properly, been some Apple Jack since then.
HatCo does not do the complete process from fur pelt either but since we didn't get to that factory in Texas, I could be off base...

Do you mean west Europe? I know TONAK in the Czech Republic makes processed fur from fur pelts because I visited the factory last month. They told me the rabbit and hare pelts they use come from the Czech Republic, Ukraine and Russia. They also sell these rabbit and hare fur pelts to other felt manufactures.

Do you mean west Europe? I know TONAK in the Czech Republic makes processed fur from fur pelts because I visited the factory last month. They told me the rabbit and hare pelts they use come from the Czech Republic, Ukraine and Russia. They also sell these rabbit and hare fur pelts to other felt manufactures.

I guess so; it's all East of here....
Greg at Winchester said the last US plant that took pelts to processed fur closed down, so North American beaver pelts have to go across the Atlantic then back as processed fur to get felted.
That has to be a key cost factor in beaver felt. I guess the rabbit & hare could be a bit cheaper since some of those hides are already on that side of the pond...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany