1. Thread galleries are live! Please let us know what you think of them in the thread in the Observation Bar.

How about that vintage western look

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by bburtner@moran, May 12, 2009.

1. Evan Everhart

Evan Everhart A-List Customer

Hi Sir,

My Suit Shop . com actually has an extensive selection of patterns for Western Suits pretty much all right out of the 60s and 70s. You have to ask to see them or have sample pics sent to you now, as they don't have them up on the site in general anymore, but they do still have them, and they are VERY Nice. They run about $500 t0 $800. depending upon the bells, whistles, and fabric, if memory serves. Good luck!

2. dh66

dh66

40s or 50s buckle made by Vogel.[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3. Very nice Dale & lucky find!

Michael R. and dh66 like this.
  4. dh66

dh66

Thanks Jack. It's a good bit smaller dimensions than most modern buckles. I like the way it doesn't dig into my belly when I sit down.

bn1966, Michael R. and BobHufford like this.
  5. Nice find Dale!

6. I could never wear those big saucer shaped ones either.

7. dh66

dh66

Thanks Bob!

Michael R. likes this.
  8. totallyfrozen

totallyfrozen One of the Regulars

I used to have a vintage Levi's belt buckle on a leather belt. Then I, uh...outgrew the belt so I donated it to a thrift store. Now that I'm almost 30lbs lighter, I don't have any good buckles anymore.

That buckle featured a cowboy wrangling 2 horses simultaneously. It was silver, I think. Anyway, sigh...it's long gone.
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael R. likes this.
  9. dh66

dh66

Salvador Dali rocking a western shirt[​IMG]

10. ^^^^^ Thought that was Jack White for a second ...

Jack_White.JPG

11. dh66

dh66

Nudie Cohn.....suitmaker to the stars[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

12. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

Great pics, Cuz. Have you ever heard who may have made the boots for his shop?

dh66 likes this.
  13. dh66

dh66

Can't find any info on that, Cuz. Apparently they were made in house. I read that at the height of business he had 17 employees for all the sewing, boot making, and leatherworking that went on.

Desert dog and Bamaboots like this.
  14. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

I was in Denver last week, and I visited Rockmount Ranchwear. I really like some of their stuff! I particularly liked the repro of their first shirt from the late 30s / early 40s.
    B73CF5E5-98AD-4AF6-BA00-5658B2CEDF2F.jpeg

15. True. Tyler Beard mentions it in his first boot book; goes into more detail in his Western wear clothing book. 1950's - 1970's for Nudie Cohn.

Desert dog likes this.
  16. Bamaboots

Bamaboots I'll Lock Up

I pulled this off the Custom Cowboy Boots and Shoes Forum from a discussion about bootmakers for Roy Rogers and others including Rex Allen in CA and CA bootmaker Charlue Garrison was said to be the maker.
    This discussion is taking place between Tex Robin and others.

"Tex and I have been discussing Roy Rogers lately, and who made his boots. We believe that Charlie Garrison, who made boots for Nudie Cohn (Nudie's) made a lot of them until 1955 or so. In Tyler Beard's books there is reference to the old Hyer Boot company also making some of them, and boot companies just sending him boots."

Hurricane Jack, Desert dog and dh66 like this.
  17. Edward

Edward Bartender

Looking at those old Nudie suits, you can really see the C&W roots of what Liberace took to extremes in his stagewear, and, in turn, the genesis of Elvis' jumpsuits in the Vegas era. Indeed, the jumpsuits (and even Liberace's sequinned hotpants) aren't ultimately all that more extreme.

Bamaboots and dh66 like this.
  18. dh66

dh66

Nudie made Liberace's suits....and Manuel Cuevas, who worked for Nudie and married his daughter, is the man responsible for those iconic jumpsuits.

BobHufford and Edward like this.
  19. Edward

Edward Bartender

I remember reading that Elvis' people had consulted Liberace's people on costume for the Vegas era.

20. Desert dog

Desert dog Call Me a Cab

The Flying burrito brothers wore some unique Nudie suits[​IMG][​IMG]