Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

Long been a fan of the fancy western shirt, more as an observer than a wearer. Always knew the colorful embroidered shirts would be closet dwellers for me. I have over twenty five pearl snap westerns and only four are anything other than a solid color.

I have spent some time looking for earlier shirts, pre snap that is. Pearl snaps didn’t come along until 1946 and prior to that, western shirts were often a wool or rayon gabardine with simple, subtle stitching or none at all. Some used Bakelite or carved wood buttons. I’ve bought a couple of those shirts over the years but they all had issues. Usually the cotton thread they were sewn together with.

RRL has put out several limited edition embroidered westerns over the years done up in wool gabardine with some beautiful embroidery. A navy blue one and a green one come to mind. Images can be found. Both of those were very pricey and continue to climb when seen on the secondary market. Thought a couple of times about throwing all sensibility aside and buying one. View attachment 447548 View attachment 447549 View attachment 447550 View attachment 447551

I did decide to buy something a little more subtle. This blk on blk is made from a heavy cotton that drapes like gabardine and the blk on blk ‘embroidery make it a little to easier wear. Wood buttons.
That one's a real work of art, Cuz...one of the best I've seen from RRL. I'm always impressed by the quality of Ralph's stuff. Congrats on the find.

That bowling shirt is a prime piece as well. Classic!

I've got quite a collection of fancy western duds hanging in my closet, too, but my lack of wearing 'em these days stems mostly from too much beer and Mexican food in my diet. I gotta find me some bigger stuff.

20220901_134632.jpg
20220901_134501.jpg
20220901_134540.jpg
20220901_134429.jpg

Someone has resurrected the H bar C brand and is putting out some reproductions of some of their vintage patterns. They were blowing up my instagram with ads awhile back and one day they threw me a 25%off discount code. I have an older jacket like this, but it fits kind of snug these days so I decided to upgrade to one a little bigger. I've also wanted a shirt like this for a long time but never run across one in a grownass man size, so I went ahead and got one while the getting was good.

I went to the National Western Stock Show yesterday. Its 15-day run ends tomorrow.

The place was packed, on a weekday afternoon. I can only imagine the crowds when rodeo events are on (there are several of those spread over that course of the annual event).

Western wear may not be quite de rigueur, but a person in full-on cowboy (or -girl) drag wouldn’t be at all out of place. Not at all.

I hadn’t realized what a BFD the show is. It’s been going for more than a century now, and I‘d been thinking that the city (Denver) has changed such that events such as this would have about run their course.

But I was clearly wrong. I suspect that many of the attendees come from hither and yon (lotsa kids in blue FFA jackets), and I suppose that most of the pickups in the parking lots weren’t just fashion statements. Reports are that this year’s event will be the most well-attended ever, with over 400K ticket purchasers through last weekend, with an entire week’s worth yet to count.

I went to the National Western Stock Show yesterday. Its 15-day run ends tomorrow.

The place was packed, on a weekday afternoon. I can only imagine the crowds when rodeo events are on (there are several of those spread over that course of the annual event).

Western wear may not be quite de rigueur, but a person in full-on cowboy (or -girl) drag wouldn’t be at all out of place. Not at all.

I hadn’t realized what a BFD the show is. It’s been going for more than a century now, and I‘d been thinking that the city (Denver) has changed such that events such as this would have about run their course.

But I was clearly wrong. I suspect that many of the attendees come from hither and yon (lotsa kids in blue FFA jackets), and I suppose that most of the pickups in the parking lots weren’t just fashion statements. Reports are that this year’s event will be the most well-attended ever, with over 400K ticket purchasers through last weekend, with an entire week’s worth yet to count.
Craftsmen, suppliers & manufacturers in all aspects of the Western industry do more than 50% of their yearly business with the orders they take there & the sales they make. That’s why attendees come from all over. That was especially true in the days before the internet.

That's a mighty nice one, Jack!

I used to have a similar one in black and grey, but outgrew it a few years (decades) back.
Thanks Dale. Most arrowheads are found on tweed, wool or a blend I think. And most corduroys have leather elbow patches. I was happy to get this configuration in such good shape.

Craftsmen, suppliers & manufacturers in all aspects of the Western industry do more than 50% of their yearly business with the orders they take there & the sales they make. That’s why attendees come from all over. That was especially true in the days before the internet.
The people selling Bailey cowboy hats — decent hats, no woolies — priced from $240 to $850, appeared to be doing a good trade. I spotted several people toting their new hats around in those Bailey hatboxes, and a steady stream of people at their booth trying on hats. I researched the vendor and learned that they sell at other Western events: the Houston livestock show, Cheyenne Frontier Days, etc.

Another vendor was selling Australian rabbit fur felt lids wearing the Statesman Hats brand, priced at $179. I can’t say I liked the hats. The finish is rough; the styles are ho-hum (and that’s being generous); the sweats are leather, but about as thin a leather sweat as I’ve ever seen. I asked the Aussie fellow manning the booth what association if any Statesman has with Akubra. I can’t say I quite understood his answer. Too many twists and turns and side trips for me to follow.

I researched the vendor and learned that they sell at other Western events: the Houston livestock show, Cheyenne Frontier Days, etc.
The annual High Noon Auction & Western Americana Show in Mesa, AZ is another. But at the auction you better have deep pockets.

Back in the 1990’s there was a promoter who held 3 Indian Markets annually, Denver, Kansas City, & Dallas - Fort Worth. The 3 day KC show was always well attended. Friday was always the best time to go.

The quarterly vintage Cowboy & Western auctions, & the Winter Cowboy Gathering in KC are all disappeared in recent yrs.

Nice choices! I never wear T-shirts as an outer shirt, always a Henley unless I'm wearing a full button-up shirt - really like them as an alternative to a T-shirt.
I don’t wear many collared shirts anymore. As you know I’m sure, a beard can really wear down a collar just from abrasion. Besides a Henley I like a crew neck (better than a tee shirt grade) or a mock turtleneck. I often wear an open flannel Western shirt as a cover shirt or jacket Over a Henley. I like how a Henley or any of the others mentioned can really casual up a sport coat, especially a corduroy with blue jeans.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
I don’t wear many collared shirts anymore. As you know I’m sure, a beard can really wear down a collar just from abrasion. Besides a Henley I like a crew neck (better than a tee shirt grade) or a mock turtleneck. I often wear an open flannel Western shirt as a cover shirt or jacket Over a Henley. I like how a Henley or any of the others mentioned can really casual up a sport coat, especially a corduroy with blue jeans.

Yes, I'm counting down the time until I can have a beard again! Less than a year now...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21