How about that vintage western look

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by bburtner@moran, May 12, 2009.

1. dh66

dh66

2. Yahoody

Yahoody Practically Family

Rather risque for the day, dh! I like it :)

Just a word on "viva la revolución" mexico.jpg back in the day.

3. Peckinpah

Peckinpah New in Town

Not sure where to ask this, think it may fit here.

Does anyone have any experience with Selvedge Denim or thoughts?

I ordered a Selvedge Denim shirt from Lee that's in their 101 range. Description has it as being 7 oz created in the Kuroki mill in Japan using dry stiff Denim, with detailed 1950's styling.

Now the shirt is lovely, sawtooth breast pockets that look slightly oversized (compared to my other shirts) and the denim looks nice (if that makes sense). I've never knowingly purchased Selvedge denim, was it more common in the '50s? I was reading that it is becoming very rare due to lack of equipment and those that know how to work it.

4. Blackadder

Blackadder Call Me a Cab

Not rare. Just not cost effective as the old looms is mechanical and smaller plus the selvedge restricts the usable surface of the cloth.
    The Japanese mills dominate the market for selvedge denim as they still use the old style Toyoda loom while the rest of the world replaced their old style Draper looms with newer more productive looms. Japanese have a huge market for selvedge denim so even Uniqlo sells selvedge denim. Just bought a pair hours ago for 38 bucks Kaihara mills.
    Levi's 501 have been using selvedge cloth from 1880s until 1984 while the rest of their collection turned non-selvedged gradually after the 60s.
    It has become "popular" since 50s because denim had been worn only as work wear, uniform before the 50s.

Peckinpah likes this.
  5. Peckinpah

Peckinpah New in Town

Just in case you were interested to know, I received my Lee Selvedge shirt. A few days after posting that I actually went ahead and ordered a Lee Storm Rider Selvedge Denim Jacket. The shirt came a few days ago and the Jacket came today. Both of them are incredible, unlike any denim item I have owned before. Glad I got them and I think any denim shirt I purchase in the future will have to be Selvedge, would like to get a pair of selvedge jeans to try them out.

Blackadder and Desert dog like this.
  6. dh66

dh66

Now that is serious vintage

BobHufford likes this.
  7. dh66

dh66

20210418_015244.jpg 20210418_015328.jpg
    I can't call it for sure but the 110% polyester doubleknit fabric, the pastel blue color, and the fairly generous collar make me estimate 1970s.

8. Ross Young

Ross Young Practically Family

Still need to get me a 5 snap, and had seen an original Nudie suit yesterday from one of the Burrito Brothers (not Gram) Gilded Palace Of Sin cover!

9. regius

regius Call Me a Cab

I found the RRL washed denim shirt nails the looks to a T, better than other premium makers. But they don’t identify the source of the fabric, I wonder if anyone know if the cotton is from China? Egypt? Africa? Japan? US?

Attached Files: