Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How black is blackened brown vicenza?

DarkKnight

Familiar Face
It's my jacket that Carrie linked to. I'd say it's just black. It's a black jacket. Black over brown so if you scrape/scratch it or after quite a lot of wear, brown will start showing through instead of grey/blue. That's the reason I got that colour in the first place; because I wanted the brown to show with wear. I think these qualifications of "it's a duller black" or a "muted black" are so minute it's not worth considering. The only difference you have to note is that the brown is what will show through from underneath with wear, instead of grey/blue. And in my experience, it doesn't happen super quick. The black isn't just leaking off the jacket. I just happen to have had some scrapes in it; coming off my bike etc.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
Bumping up an old post to see if anyone has any more experience with this. I'd love to see a Blackened Brown Vicenza with some real wear, now that it's been a few years. anyone got pics??

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
matt,
I have an Aero type 3 in blackened brown Vicenza that I purchased last October. I have worn it pretty regularly throughout the winter and spring and it still looks practically brand new! Even the usual wear spots. (around the cuffs, at the seams, etc.) are still black. On the one hand I would like to see some of the brown showing through but on the other hand I am pleased that this jacket is not going to look broken in and old overnight.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
Bumping up an old post to see if anyone has any more experience with this. I'd love to see a Blackened Brown Vicenza with some real wear, now that it's been a few years. anyone got pics??

In my searches here I’ve found these two posts with images of blackened brown vicenza fading.

2 Aero Jackets For Sale (Board Racer and Premiere Highwayman)

Aero Premier Highwayman Blackened Brown Vicenza SZ 40

Would love to see more aging pics. Just recently spec’d an order and ultimately went with black cxl. I personally appreciate VestCoast’s black cxl wear, the tea core effect is really nice.

Aero Sheene- Fit Advice and Creative Guidance

Last edited:

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
Wow, that Premiere Highwayman looks so nice! I guess another for me to want... I was thinking about making an A-2 in blackened brown, but I do want it to fade substantially.

zebedee

One Too Many
Aero's standard black FQHH also wears through to brown. This is a Stockman that has been exposed to quite heavy rain and cold- I don't think it's been unduly banged about:

20200608_165757_HDR.jpg

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
Damn! That’s a beauty! That’s exactly what I want for my A-2. I already have a light seal from Eastman and a dark seal from BK on the way, need a heavy leather for stylish motorcycle safety.

zebedee

One Too Many
Damn! That’s a beauty! That’s exactly what I want for my A-2. I already have a light seal from Eastman and a dark seal from BK on the way, need a heavy leather for stylish motorcycle safety.
I asked for the lightest black FQHH Aero had for the Stockman- it's still heavy, but it would have been unwieldy had it been the same weight of leather used for my Highwayman. The black FQHH seems to wear down to brown quite quickly at the edges and seams (within the first six months or so) and then takes longer in areas of less wear.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I agree with @zebedee that the black CXLFQHH shows the brown coat from underneath fairly quick, I’m not sure if all CXLFQHH does though, as I requested this to Aero specifically.
I have a Sheene in this leather and a Board Racer in blackened brown Vincenza and in my experience the Vincenza stays looking “newer” longer and the CXLFQHH Black fades to brown faster.
The Vincenza shows the brown in high wear areas only whereas the CXL seems to fade to brown all over, more like denim for comparison.

Fonzie

One Too Many
I always thought that an A-2 in black CXLFQHH would be pretty epic and not seen very often.
Here’s an idea: Aero A-2 Bronco model, Black CXKFQHH, mustard lining, caramel brown knits, brown stitching.
Winning. :)

zebedee

One Too Many
I agree with @zebedee that the black CXLFQHH shows the brown coat from underneath fairly quick, I’m not sure if all CXLFQHH does though, as I requested this to Aero specifically.
I have a Sheene in this leather and a Board Racer in blackened brown Vincenza and in my experience the Vincenza stays looking “newer” longer and the CXLFQHH Black fades to brown faster.
The Vincenza shows the brown in high wear areas only whereas the CXL seems to fade to brown all over, more like denim for comparison.

Yeah, I'd agree with the denim comparison. The nicest fading is on the inside of the facing edges where the colour's really worn and burnished:

20200608_222738_resized.jpg

ai00344

One of the Regulars
Can’t beat first hand experience. Please accept this as my formal request for a side by side comparison.

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
I always thought that an A-2 in black CXLFQHH would be pretty epic and not seen very often.
Here’s an idea: Aero A-2 Bronco model, Black CXKFQHH, mustard lining, caramel brown knits, brown stitching.
Winning. :)

This is *exactly* what I want but I’m pretty sure @ told me the 42 is the only contract Aero will make with the FQHH. I’ll ask again, nee beg. But I bet it’ll be just as cool in a slim 42 as the Bronco.

Last edited:

Fonzie

One Too Many
The Vincenza is much more comfortable to wear from the get go but IMO the coolness of the CXLFQHH is unbeatable (although when it's cold and it's stiff it is a royal pain to wear, but well worth the effort).

mattmiller1973

Familiar Face
I do have a couple of heavy FQHH jackets, and I will admit to happily reaching for lighter leathers most days... but I would work for that look.

It is definitely worthwhile having one black CXL jacket in the closet! Mine was looking a bit grey, so I polished it up a bit. Now it’s back to black with that beautiful waxy lustre....(and the brownish parts)

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
The Vincenza is much more comfortable to wear from the get go but IMO the coolness of the CXLFQHH is unbeatable (although when it's cold and it's stiff it is a royal pain to wear, but well worth the effort).

how often do you wear the Vicenza BR? I’m teetering between the comfort of Vicenza and the stiffness of cxl. I have a brown cxl BR and I like the depth of color and feeling secure in it and the crisp wrinkles I get in the arms. Not sure if I wanna go cxl or vicenza for a premier highwayman now. Sometimes though a nice light hide would be appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ