Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I get cologne scent out of leather?

Gamma68

One Too Many
My "new to me" Sears D-pocket jacket is great. Love the look and the fit.

However, it arrived with a faint scent that I couldn't quite identify. It seemed to be permeated throughout the leather--I couldn't find a specific scented area, so I initially thought it's just the leather itself.

After wiping it down with a slightly damp sponge, I applied a light coat of Pecards to the collar. Then the scent became more pronounced and I knew what it was: cologne.

It's not an awful scent, but I never wear cologne and would rather not have that reminder of previous ownership in the same area that touches my own neck.

I'm willing to bet this small issue has come up in the past for many members. Are there any safe and effective means for removing the scent of cologne from leather?

seres

A-List Customer
From my experience, I don’t think there is any way to remove all traces of cologne from leather, because the operating ingredients of cologne are based on oils, which tend to absorb into the leather fibers.

I have tried a variety of cleaning methods, including the wet sponge technique, hanging the jacket outside in the breeze, and even “fumigating” the jacket with an ozone machine. All these techniques tend to initially minimize the cologne aroma, but over time the it returns. After storing the "cleaned" jacket in a closed storage bag for a few months, the cologne aroma seems to be just at strong as before when opening the bag.

Good luck, and keep us advised.

Gamma68

One Too Many
From my experience, I don’t think there is any way to remove all traces of cologne from leather, because the operating ingredients of cologne are based on oils, which tend to absorb into the leather fibers.

I have tried a variety of cleaning methods, including the wet sponge technique, hanging the jacket outside in the breeze, and even “fumigating” the jacket with an ozone machine. All these techniques tend to initially minimize the cologne aroma, but over time the it returns. After storing the "cleaned" jacket in a closed storage bag for a few months, the cologne aroma seems to be just at strong as before when opening the bag.

Good luck, and keep us advised.

Well, the good news is the scent seems to be confined to the collar. Maybe I'll try some Lexol leather cleaner after the Pecards dries completely and see if that works.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
I have a Scheene with the same deal, does not bother me that much, but seems to have dissipated over time. I don't wear cologne either, but have found myself okay with it after a while.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichaelSturm