Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How can I tell if this Tauber is horsehide?

Bluechel

Practically Family
I'm realizing that I collect all naked cowhide for the most part and I actually have no idea how to try and spot HORSE. Any suggestions?
IMG_4606.JPG
IMG_4606.JPG

Bluechel

Practically Family
Seller had no clue at all, just a wife selling her husband's old crap. She also didn't tell me about the collar repair that "could" be needed where you see the small tear up where the snaps are...!

Bluechel

Practically Family
But I can return it f I want, but it is beautiful! Price was in line I suppose.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
What is the market price range for jackets? Ballpark?

I don't even like this style and I'd pay $300 in my size; but I'm a Taubers collector and I have not seen one like this and not likely to ever see one size 44. They made cool jackets but not that many by this time.

There are quite a few Taubers on ebay now, they are not selling.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I see where someone said once it's orange label it's steer.....not sure if it's such a blanket fact though? This thing could be steerhide I guess.... View attachment 459619 View attachment 459621

It has a YKK main zipper which looks to be original. My best guess would be that this is an early 70s jacket. Manufacturers weren't really using horsehide anymore back then. The transition from horsehide to steerhide took place during the 50s.

Bluechel

Practically Family
I don't even like this style and I'd pay $300 in my size; but I'm a Taubers collector and I have not seen one like this and not likely to ever see one size 44. They made cool jackets but not that many by this time.

There are quite a few Taubers on ebay now, they are not selling.
This one is marked a 42. It has that collar flaw though, a small tear that may or may not be a quick or easy fix.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80