Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Went to pick up burgers last night at 5 Guys. The guy who I presume was the manager walked out of the back, looked at me in my Granite Gannon, and said, "And how are you? Now that hat makes a statement!"

I told him that I hoped it was a good statement! He assured me he really liked the hat and it led into a great conversation while I waited for my burger. Nice guy and I'm glad I met him and we talked.

On another note, one of the AF leadership (non military) approached me the other day to ask me where I get my hats. He noted that he was interested in getting something to round out his wardrobe and that I wear nice hats (not Target hats). So we had a conversation about vintage, custom, and new hats and he asked me to email him some links. So I suggested our local hatter and Batsakes down in Cincy, and pointed him to Gannon, Art Fawcett, Northwest and Alley Kat, and mentioned other customs he could check out. Let's see if he takes the plunge...

As for juries? I'll never serve on one. Tell them you're an engineer and they usually toss you out on your ear.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
You know the stats @Frunobulax , engineers follow instructions like taking medicine as directed the very best , etc. , and school teachers/college professors are the absolute worst , they think they know more than anyone , and never follow directions , etc. . Thats a bonus I guess , I was booted off a jury selection right off the bat myself several years ago .

You know the stats @Frunobulax , engineers follow instructions like taking medicine as directed the very best , etc. , and school teachers/college professors are the absolute worst , they think they know more than anyone , and never follow directions , etc. . Thats a bonus I guess , I was booted off a jury selection right off the bat myself several years ago .

I was told we "think too literally," which is probably true in my case. Lawyers, especially for the defense, want folks they perceive as manipulatable.

Lawyers, especially for the defense, want folks they perceive as manipulatable.
Since the case I was picked for was a wrongful death civil lawsuit one of the questions I was asked by the plaintiffs lawyer was about tort reform, which was a hot topic at the time. I gave him a diatribe on lawyers & tort reform that should have kept me from being picked but it didn't.

...Lawyers, especially for the defense, want folks they perceive as manipulatable.
The one time I was interviewed as a potential juror the defense attorneys couldn't dismiss me fast enough once they heard I have four law enforcement officers in my family. Apparently they're not required to elaborate on their reasons, but the change in their body language and demeanor was obvious so I can only assume they thought that would somehow automatically make me prejudiced against their client.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
As a professor, I hate to admit it, but I have to agree with this statement.... HAH!!!

I like being on jury duty... if I ever have to be judged by a panel, I want it to be made of people who want to be there..

~shoes~

Yeah , I wanted to serve . I have several College Professors and Teachers in my family . You wouldn't be in Cleveland MS (Go Fighting Okra) would you ? I have family there .

redlinerobert

One of the Regulars
I typically get compliments on my hats. I've never received any snarky remarks on any of them.

From what I can see lots of kids in this day and age have little to no respect for folks that are older than them. Different era. I think most of us here were brought up in an era where it wasn't seen as an option to show respect to elders, it simply was what you did. It's refreshing to see young kids that are respectful. That comes 100% from home. Have you seen most people that have children in this day and age? You can't teach your kids what you don't know.

I'll go back to my rocking chair....

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I typically get compliments on my hats. I've never received any snarky remarks on any of them.

From what I can see lots of kids in this day and age have little to no respect for folks that are older than them. Different era. I think most of us here were brought up in an era where it wasn't seen as an option to show respect to elders, it simply was what you did. It's refreshing to see young kids that are respectful. That comes 100% from home. Have you seen most people that have children in this day and age? You can't teach your kids what you don't know.

I'll go back to my rocking chair....
I have young kids (3&7 y/o). My wife and I (try to) teach them to respect people that deserve respect. Someone's age alone is not a reason show them respect. A racist old person is not worthy of my kids respect. A thoughtful, tolerant, informed person, on the other hand, is very worthy of respect - regardless of age.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
It has nothing to do with “kids today” ... there have been disrespectful kids in EVERY day ... in all eras

as a teacher I see and deal with kids of all ages everyday - aged 4 to well into their 20s and 30s ... some mindful and respectful and some completely oblivious to anything outside of their cellphone and Nintendo Switch

it has nothing to do with a generation ... I deal with disrespectful adults in their 50s and 60s all the time

kids today get a bad rap ... where most of the fault falls on my generation who are parenting them for the most part

Xers just can’t seem to grow up it seems ... and we know apples don’t get thrown from branches ... those suckers just fall to the ground and stay shaded by them

It has nothing to do with “kids today” ... there have been disrespectful kids in EVERY day ... in all eras

as a teacher I see and deal with kids of all ages everyday - aged 4 to well into their 20s and 30s ... some mindful and respectful and some completely oblivious to anything outside of their cellphone and Nintendo Switch

it has nothing to do with a generation ... I deal with disrespectful adults in their 50s and 60s all the time

kids today get a bad rap ... where most of the fault falls on my generation who are parenting them for the most part

Xers just can’t seem to grow up it seems ... and we know apples don’t get thrown from branches ... those suckers just fall to the ground and stay shaded by them
I think disrespect & lack of manners at any age today centers around the entitlement attitude that seems to prevail among so many. But certainly as their bodies develop & mature at a much younger age, kids today are so sheltered & protected their minds & personalities don't mature until much later. And some never do.

I have young kids (3&7 y/o). My wife and I (try to) teach them to respect people that deserve respect. Someone's age alone is not a reason show them respect. A racist old person is not worthy of my kids respect. A thoughtful, tolerant, informed person, on the other hand, is very worthy of respect - regardless of age.

So, lemme get this straight. When you meet somebody for the first time, you hold off on treating them with respect and dignity as a person until you find out if their views line up closely enough with yours?

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
So, lemme get this straight. When you meet somebody for the first time, you hold off on treating them with respect and dignity as a person until you find out if their views line up closely enough with yours?
Hold off on dignity? Where did you get that impression?

But hold off on respect? Yes!

I teach my kids to extend common courtesy to everyone, to be empathetic and treat everyone with the dignity they deserve, just as I do when I meet someone for the first time.

But I believe respect/admiration/esteem/reverence is something you have to earn.

andrew_AU

A-List Customer
I teach the kids to empathize with, to be courteous to, and to respect EVERYONE they meet. If that person proves to be unworthy, then simply avoid that person and don’t interact with them. But never withhold respect for anyone.
Fair enough.

To me the word respect means showing someone reverence or holding them in high esteem. I just don't believe people automatically deserve reverence. I believe that is something someone earns.

Trust is another think that I think we earn. I don't automatically trust everyone I meet. Do you?

Common courtesy is somethig that I believe should be extended to everyone until such time that they demonstrate that they do not deserve courtesy.

But I always respect the right for someone else to have a different opinions to my own.

The thing is, there are different levels of respect. There is a basic level of respect for someone as a person, as an individual who has the rights/privileges to conduct themselves as they see fit as long as that doesn't negatively impact another individual's rights/privileges to do the same, that I think everyone should develop as part of their character. But I also believe that basic level of respect can and should be adjusted depending upon whether or not you agree/align with that individual's professional, political, social, religious/spiritual, or fill-in-the-blank, views and opinions.

I was very nervous about reentering the coaching ranks when I agreed to take on a travelling rep baseball team of 14-15 year olds. It had been 25 years since my last stint as coach. I was most pleased to discover that the boys had not changed much at all. Perhaps a bit more sophisticated and a touch less willing to accept authority for the sake of authority but I clearly laid out the expectations and rules to them, received their commitment to abide by these rules and it was wonderful 2 year experience. The kids responded so well. Now admittedly it was a skewed sample as the kids had to compete to be there, wanted badly to be there but nevertheless it was refreshing to see them respond when faced with strict standards and rules. From that I concur with Moon, every generation has theirs and I need to admit I probably fell into the asshole category as a know it all teen in the 60's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot