Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

...As she was pouring my coffee, the coffee gal said, “sir, I have to say I really like your outfit!”

Sure, that one blew my old mind, but then when she handed me the charge to sign for, with the very convenient selection of gratuity check boxes, I realized that I may have been played like a Stradivarius, and still gave her a nice one.
A smile from a pretty waitress turns me into a very generous tipper. Maybe I’m getting played, but I really don’t care at this point. :)
I'm either too old or I've been married too long to fall for that (not sure which). I don't care how attractive or flirtatious the server is, the gratuity I leave is based strictly on the quality of service I've received.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Charlie I believe that's just one version of "working the room."
We call it playing the fiddle. To work the room she needs to be of voluptuous charms in a low cut top. Yesterday I encountered such an assistant when I bought a takeaway coffee. She complimented my shirt, flashed a smile, leaned forward to wipe an imaginary speck of dust of the counter. Cue two orbs wrestling under the top that she was almost wearing.
"Nice shirt," she beamed. "Wrong compliment," I answered, smiling back. She looked perplexed, I explained. "The shirt's old, the hat's new." She laughed, the orbs wobbled, "silly me," she said. "You've just made my day," I told her. "And you mine," she replied. She got her tip and I got photographed. Not with her I hasten to add, I was alone, I would have some answering to do if a selfie alongside those two flesh mountains appeared on social media.
blue & white aloha shirt 001.JPG

Well, y'know, we have a few mirrors in the house, and at my age if any attractive woman starts flirting with me I know it's some form of con. Nope, not falling for it. :cool:

I was out to lunch a while back and an attractive waitress was flirting with my coworker; she had to have been over 30 years his junior. I teased him that he was still able to attract young women and he retorted that they just liked his cologne: ode de 401(k).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was walking back to my car on 3rd Street from the bank, the old downtown area of our smallish city. Walking toward me was a young lady, probably mid-30's, and my..... was she giving me the once over.

I was dressed in a tweed sport coat, slacks, etc, with a fedora. This happened just last week and now I can't remember the outfit exactly. It may been the Penman Everyman I wore that day, or the NW Hats pecan custom.

I noticed her giving me the once over and so I just nodded in her direction, tipping the brim of my fedora toward her. Her eyes got big and she smiled.... and I thought.... holy crap, was she checking me out or what?

I turn 59 on Sunday, white beard, moving slow, overweight.... LOL. It MUST have been the hat!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I went to the local hardware store Monday and wore a ball cap instead of a hat as usual. The guy that waited on me asked where my hat was. The lady at the register told me that everyone wears a cap but I need to keep wearing one of my hats. SO I'd have to say once again that I get more comments about not wearing a hat than I usually get about my norm of always having a felt hat on.

I was out to lunch a while back and an attractive waitress was flirting with my coworker; she had to have been over 30 years his junior. I teased him that he was still able to attract young women and he retorted that they just liked his cologne: ode de 401(k).
I've told this story here before, but a few years ago I was at a local book store with a long-time friend and the young lady at the register counter was joking with us in a flirtatious manner while she rung up my friend's purchases. As we were leaving, he turned to me and said, "You know, I used to think they were flirting with me, but one day I realized they were just being nice to the old guy." :D

I was walking back to my car on 3rd Street from the bank, the old downtown area of our smallish city. Walking toward me was a young lady, probably mid-30's, and my..... was she giving me the once over.

I was dressed in a tweed sport coat, slacks, etc, with a fedora. This happened just last week and now I can't remember the outfit exactly. It may been the Penman Everyman I wore that day, or the NW Hats pecan custom.

I noticed her giving me the once over and so I just nodded in her direction, tipping the brim of my fedora toward her. Her eyes got big and she smiled.... and I thought.... holy crap, was she checking me out or what?

I turn 59 on Sunday, white beard, moving slow, overweight.... LOL. It MUST have been the hat!
"They come runnin' just as fast as they can, 'cause every girl crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man."

Our class toured the NBC 5 Chicago news room yesterday and they let us play with the weather green screen. I was the only one with the guts to step up to the screen, but when I went to take off my hat everybody insisted I kept it on because I'm always wearing one.
hbMQOxD.jpg
I like that Cardigan. It goes well with the hat, and looks warm and comfortable.

Dm101

A-List Customer
We call it playing the fiddle. To work the room she needs to be of voluptuous charms in a low cut top. Yesterday I encountered such an assistant when I bought a takeaway coffee. She complimented my shirt, flashed a smile, leaned forward to wipe an imaginary speck of dust of the counter. Cue two orbs wrestling under the top that she was almost wearing.
"Nice shirt," she beamed. "Wrong compliment," I answered, smiling back. She looked perplexed, I explained. "The shirt's old, the hat's new." She laughed, the orbs wobbled, "silly me," she said. "You've just made my day," I told her. "And you mine," she replied. She got her tip and I got photographed. Not with her I hasten to add, I was alone, I would have some answering to do if a selfie alongside those two flesh mountains appeared on social media.
View attachment 164431

I like the cut of your jib sir...it's perfect.
:D:p:cool:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I like the cut of your jib sir...it's perfect.
:D:p:cool:
What a generous compliment, thank you very much.
Is it any wonder that there is reaction to hat wearing? In Esquire magazine there's an article by Teo Van Den Broeke & Charlie Teasdale suggesting that men look stupid in hats. If you are unaware of vulgar Brit slang, the terms "Tool," "Twat," & "Pillock" shouldn't be used in public, all are derogatory remarks implying stupidity. Here's a snippet:

However, I have a theory. It’s the 'one of the best-dressed men in Britain' thing that allows him to pull off wearing a hat. That is to say, you can only wear a fedora if your cool has already been established. Indiana Jones’ fedora looked good because he was a whip-toting treasure hunter; Don Draper’s trilby looks good because he’s a womanising alpha-male ad man and Colin Farrell’s beanie only looks good because his list of conquests is allegedly longer than the Irish coastline.

To test this theory all you need to do is put a hat on, something with a nice wide brim, and let the condemnation begin. Then, quickly embark on an acting career, nab a couple of Oscars, try the hat again and gauge the response. There’ll be a marked difference, you’ll see.

Here's the diatribe in full: https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/ne...a-man-wear-a-hat-without-looking-like-a-tool/

...Is it any wonder that there is reaction to hat wearing? In Esquire magazine there's an article by Teo Van Den Broeke & Charlie Teasdale suggesting that men look stupid in hats. If you are unaware of vulgar Brit slang, the terms "Tool," "Twat," & "Pillock" shouldn't be used in public, all are derogatory remarks implying stupidity...Here's the diatribe in full: https://www.esquire.com/uk/style/ne...a-man-wear-a-hat-without-looking-like-a-tool/
Spoken like a couple of dyed-in-the-wool tools who have over-inflated opinions of their own opinions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ