Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Joao Encarnado

I'll Lock Up
I get funny looks, security walking behind me when I enter a store, nice comments, kids starring at me, even when I'm driving I see people starring at me, when I go to the beach I ear people commenting "must be american"... well it's not common someone wear a cowboy hat in my country.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
All that I've heard out in public about my hat wearing has been positive, mostly from teens. It's either, "I like that hat", or "Cool Hat". Most of the negative comments come from my wife, "You're not wearing that hat when I'm with you." or "You're not going to wear that hat are you?"

The only comments I've heard while wearing one of my caps or hats were from friends, family, and acquaintences; mostly complimentary, but my wife isn't crazy about flat caps in general so she just "deals with them" when I wear them in her presence.

The only reaction I can recall ever getting from a stranger was at the county fair three or four years ago. I was wearing my Akubra Fed IV for sun protection, and we kept encountering a couple who appeared to be in their early 60s. Each time I saw them the husband would stare at me and/or my hat with a "disapproving" look on his face even though he was wearing a brown fedora himself, one that suited him very well in my opinion. Since I was also wearing a t-shirt and jeans, I initially thought he disapproved of my wearing a fedora with such casual atttire. Eventually I was able to get a good enough look at his hat to determine it was one of the "officially licensed" Indiana Jones wool felt hats produced by Dorfman Pacific, and began to think he was jealous because my hat was nicer than his. :D However, after observing him and his interaction with others, I finally realized this "disapproving" look was simply his normal facial expression and came to the conclusion that he may have been trying to figure out which manufacturer's hat I was wearing. [huh] At the time I was relatively new to hat-wearing and a little self-conscious; in retrospect, I think I should have approached him, complimented his hat, and made an attempt to engage in polite conversation about our similar tastes in headwear.

That said, in the grand scheme of things I really don't care what anyone thinks about how I look or what I wear (except for my wife, whose opinions and feelings I consider strongly), so it doesn't matter.

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
My friend's parents just call me little nicknames. You know, Dr. Jones being the one I like the most right now. They also call me Kent (as in Chris Reeve's Clark Kent) and Frank/Frankie/Frank Sinatra Junior... My little sister is the only one that says I look like a gangster, but she says I look nice with my hat and suits/blazers. The common folk (as in those unknown to me) just look and say nice hat. Some friends call me a cowboy too... Which puzzle's me so.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
At the time I was relatively new to hat-wearing and a little self-conscious; in retrospect, I think I should have approached him, complimented his hat, and made an attempt to engage in polite conversation about our similar tastes in headwear.

That said, in the grand scheme of things I really don't care what anyone thinks about how I look or what I wear (except for my wife, whose opinions and feelings I consider strongly), so it doesn't matter.
Had a similar experience a while ago, couple dressed similar to us, kept looking, staring almost, I just went over to them and said that we had paid a fortune for our outfits, only for their's to upstage us. They laughed, started talking, invited us to have a coffee, and we've kept in touch ever since.
Talking of being called a gangster, which I get now and then, when I wear a Fedora with a pinstripe suit, especially a zoot suit, I get called George Melly. A compliment indeed.

Last edited:

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I went to the store yesterday wearing my Silverbelly OR looking Royal Stetson, the very one I'm wearing in my avatar pic. The girl checking out my groceries told me that she liked my Indiana Jones hat....hmmm, Oh well, no biggie. I guess to those who aren't used to seeing very many fedoras worn in public, every fedora is an Indiana Jones hat, (although I still want an Indy hat).

Last edited:

fashion frank

One Too Many
Last night I went to the Cumberland Fest , an outdoor event with the rides and the whole bit to see my son's band play.
I must have gotten between 6 and 9 kodo's throughout the night.

I wore a brown suit with a light yellow shirt, art deco 40's tie and brown wide brimmed fedora.

The kodos came from young and old alike.
I heard alot of " I like your suit and hat " n "like the hat ", " you look sharp " etc. etc.

Although I dress the way I do only to please myself , it's gratifying to hear stuff like that from
people!

All the Best ,Fashion Frank

Last edited:

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I went to the store yesterday wearing my Silverbelly OR looking Royal Stetson, the very one I'm wearing in my avatar pic. The girl checking out my groceries told me that she liked my Indiana Jones hat....hmmm, Oh well, no biggie. I guess to those who aren't used to seeing very many fedoras worn in public, every fedora is an Indiana Jones hat, (although I still want an Indy hat).

The same thing happend to me at the local grocery, I looked at the young lady and responded "Indy who??" looked like I was in thought then added that I don't know the man-never met him--then walked out. the next time I saw her she just grinned --no doubt she figured that I was joking.

casechopper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was wearing the hat shown below while walking home from the bakery. A young Asian guy in his 20's stopped and said he really liked the hat, then walked alongside me for a couple minutes to ask what brand it was and where he could find a similar one.
IMG_5717.JPG

A couple nights earlier while waiting to checkout at Walgreens wearing my VS Carlotta a very NJ guy (from Joisey you know what I mean?) in his 40's in a t-shirt and jeans said "That's a nice hat!".
IMG_6985.JPG

I generally get positive comments. The only comment that wasn't directly positive was some guy yelling from his car to my car "you should take your hat off!" I wasn't sure how to take that and as we were both turning different directions I didn't have time to inquire why? I have had a few people think I was an Orthodox Jew (not positive or negative but initially unexpected).

doberdadinmd

Familiar Face
The hat kinda sticks out as part of that whole ensemble. Still, when, as a few do every year, they come up at the end of term wanting a photo with me, more often than not they want me to put the hat on. Even had one or two ask where they can buy hats like that for themselves. It's great fun. I like to think they look at me and see Bogart, but sadly the truth is probably closer Sylvester McCoy's Doctor Who.... lol

I loved McCoy's Doctor!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
One of my favourite days out is to visit one of my country's many heritage railway sites. A few months ago found us in the remote parts of the county of Devon. We happened upon the preserved heritage line that runs down to the river Dart, and the town that takes the river's name: Dartmouth. Whilst there, I was deliberately approached by, and I say deliberate because he singled me out, a guy whom you could only describe as a 'hard man.' He was shaven headed, had the sort of tattoos that went with his appearance. The tattoos had skulls with snakes slithering in and out of the eyes, his whole demeanor was one of confrontation.

The way he approached us, with one arm outstretched, to block our exit, I just knew that this might mean trouble. He gripped my upper arm, more to arrest me than to confront me. "Man," he said with something approaching deference in his voice, "you look fantastic, I wish I had the nerve to dress like that."

Was I just complimented? It might have been backhanded, but it was hugely satisfying all the same. I just smiled and said that I thought he would look terrific, if he could just not think about, what others might think.

How did I look to him? Same as my avatar, here's the larger version.
Devon 003.jpg

minkowski1552

New in Town
The only negative comment I received was from my Mother after I graduated from college, many years ago. I had a very nice, I thought, sportsmens cap, that she hated so much, she told me she would buy me any other headgear if I gave her the cap. I did and she destroyed it.

I've been going to the local feed store every 3-4 weeks for about 4 years and always wear a hat. 2 weeks ago I was there and for some reason left my hat in the truck. One of the older gentlemen who helps load my truck said he almost didn't recognize me without my hat!

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I've been going to the local feed store every 3-4 weeks for about 4 years and always wear a hat. 2 weeks ago I was there and for some reason left my hat in the truck. One of the older gentlemen who helps load my truck said he almost didn't recognize me without my hat!

Likewise, just last week I made a hurried trip to the local grocer for milk and the cashier whom I didn't know just stared at me for several seconds then ask "whats wrong". It took me a second to realize what he meant. I live in such a small town that almost everyone has seen me in hats for the last several years, though few have seen me without.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
As I've neared retirement I've taken to wearing Caps, Fedoras and fine leather jackets (in colors OTHER than Black and Brown). I also shaved my beard down to something resembling that once worn by Cyrano De Bergerac and have not been loathe to tell all and sundry that they won't have me to kick around in so many months. I was born looking different than most of the world, now I've just started wearing the wardrobe to boot! I was coming out of the "Y" yesterday and had stopped to talk to a friend. I was wearing my "5 Points" cap and custom black HH A-2 with a squadron patch from the 551st B.S. A "Y" employee paused by us looked at me, shook her head and muttered "you guys" and passed between us. I'm not running for President or Pope so who cares???!!!!

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points