Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
New Bern is a small town and I've been wearing my Open Roads for six or seven years now. I guess everyone has gotten used to it. I haven't heard a peep about my hat wearing in forever.

AF

Loved my time in New Bern... but NOT the smell. Pulp and Paper mills (I was even working for Weyerhaeuser at the time) STINK!!! But the people treated me fine.

Worf

Last edited:
Actually, dh, some Amish do use cell phones around here. Otherwise, they have to use the phone booth on the corner of the farm.
But I would never mistake you for Amish, I've never seen one wear an Aloha shirt.

Where the h#// do they recharge the batteries???

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Edward

Bartender
Where the h#// do they recharge the batteries???

Wired carried an article on it some years ago. Apparently they have friendly 'English' neighbours who charge the phones for them. Does seem a little bit of a cheat to me, but then I suppose there's only so far you can cut the modern world out. I suppose if I were to feel it wrong to have electricity because of the dependency it brings, and the decadent entertainments with which it can tempt one, I could see having a field telephone for emergencies, but charging it elsewhere so as not to require electricity in the home (and thus have the temptations of putting it to other uses), as a reasonable compromise.

Hal

Practically Family
... I became a lot more vigilant about keeping my head covered from the Sun after I went bald, though before that I always wore a hat against the Winter cold (a habit that began at University in Belfast, where typically by the time rain is heavy enough to be bothered putting up an umbrella, it's also too windy for that to be practical).
I'm sure that hat-wearing - at any rate in the UK - causes fewer comments if it's done for practical reasons, three of which you cite.
Reactions from baby boomers are typically negative.
This won't surprise anyone in the slightest; this generation, even now, seems to resent classical or traditional dressing.

Wired carried an article on it some years ago. Apparently they have friendly 'English' neighbours who charge the phones for them. Does seem a little bit of a cheat to me, but then I suppose there's only so far you can cut the modern world out. I suppose if I were to feel it wrong to have electricity because of the dependency it brings, and the decadent entertainments with which it can tempt one, I could see having a field telephone for emergencies, but charging it elsewhere so as not to require electricity in the home (and thus have the temptations of putting it to other uses), as a reasonable compromise.

Well, I suppose when compared to whoring yourself to a reality tv series or using/dealing meth, having a cell phone is a pretty minor trespass in the eyes of the Lord.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Loved my time in New Bern... but NOT the smell. Pulp and Paper mills (I was even working for Weyerhaeuser at the time) STINK!!! But the people preated me fine.

Worf

The local Weyerhaeuser plant has done something to reduce its emissions because I haven't smelled it in a long time. But there was a time...especially when the wind went to the northwest...that the smell was, umm, very noticeable. It was local knowledge that if you were with an out of town date, you always warned her well before you drove downwind of Weyerhaeuser. Otherwise, she was apt to form an erroneous and negative opinion of your manners and upbringing.

AF

Well, I suppose when compared to whoring yourself to a reality tv series or using/dealing meth, having a cell phone is a pretty minor trespass in the eyes of the Lord.

They have gas generators that will supply electricity as well. Also, many have businesses that have electricity. I assume there's some sort of loophole that allows for that. It's an interesting culture. I will say they are generally hard workers too.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
The local Weyerhaeuser plant has done something to reduce its emissions because I haven't smelled it in a long time. But there was a time...especially when the wind went to the northwest...that the smell was, umm, very noticeable. It was local knowledge that if you were with an out of town date, you always warned her well before you drove downwind of Weyerhaeuser. Otherwise, she was apt to form an erroneous and negative opinion of your manners and upbringing.

AF

:rofl: I was working too hard then to do much dating in New Bern BUT I must admit your observation on what the Mill might do to a "first impression" is quite keen. Matter of fact it's down right hilarious. I'm glad they've finally managed to muzzle the stench of the mill. I worked there the summer of 1979 it was hot, brutally humid and with some of the biggest mousquitos I've ever seen this side of the "Bushmaster's" Course in Panama. But on those rare days when the humidity broke and the wind came in from the sea... beauteous!

Worf

The Fedorable

One of the Regulars
Depends how I wear it, generally positive views. One of my friends was kinda chuckling and looks at me saying, "Dude, you and that hat." I reply, "Yup!"

It surprised me initially, tbh. I now realise that their hollering is not reserved for me, but meted out to anyone "different" looking (that is, not in a wifebeater or T-shirt and jeans).

It's a pity 'cause they hang out in my local pub that went up with the estate down the road in the 1860s. The next closest pub is another half mile away, and is the meeting place of the local EDL branch (ugh). The closest that I feel safe going into is a mile and a half. But our local's bad enough that The Baroness - for the twin crimes of being 1) not white and 2) quite pretty - has chosen a different, longer, route to walk to the tube. I now find out from a colleague that it's one of the last hangouts of the old East End gang families … which explains the constant fixing of windows and re-appearance of bulletholes in said windows. And probably explains all the gunfire at nights. (Easy access to Epping Forest.)

I just don't understand people who feel the need to shout and holler. A whole (armed) crowd braying at one guy with a hat. Is this what the "gangsters" have come to?

This won't surprise anyone in the slightest; this generation, even now, seems to resent classical or traditional dressing.

Last edited:

fedoracentric

Banned
I have never had a negative comment on my fedora. Sometimes I have a positive comment, but only once in a while. But, truthfully, I wear my hats for me. I don't give a flying fig what anyone else says or thinks about them.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I was told that I looked "cool" this past weekend. I was flattered.

COOL OR TOOL
A woman friend told me this weekend that men who wear fedoras need to consider the "cool or tool" test in the mirror. I understood that a fedora wearing man has requirments to be in her cool catagory on first glance. A non-wearing man can be eaiser in the cool catagory on first glance, or fewer initlal requirments.

She expanded her statement by suggesting that just by wearing a fedora does not get you put in the "cool category." It is the matching of the fedora to you and the matching of the fedora to the given outfit that can get you in the "cool category." She had lots of fedora style fopaws that would kick you out of her favor. Good thing she went on speaking to the initial go was only a starting point. I am confident I could not have held up to her criteria on 1st visual looks.

I took away from her conversation, to check in the mirror before heading out each day in the mirror considering the "cool or tool test." The litmous test made me change clothes on Monday aft. That was good.

Happy to have a flattering moment, Eric -

HeyMoe

Practically Family

COOL OR TOOL
A woman friend told me this weekend that men who wear fedoras need to consider the "cool or tool" test in the mirror. I understood that a fedora wearing man has requirments to be in her cool catagory on first glance. A non-wearing man can be eaiser in the cool catagory on first glance, or fewer initlal requirments.

She expanded her statement by suggesting that just by wearing a fedora does not get you put in the "cool category." It is the matching of the fedora to you and the matching of the fedora to the given outfit that can get you in the "cool category." She had lots of fedora style fopaws that would kick you out of her favor. Good thing she went on speaking to the initial go was only a starting point. I am confident I could not have held up to her criteria on 1st visual looks.

I took away from her conversation, to check in the mirror before heading out each day in the mirror considering the "cool or tool test." The litmous test made me change clothes on Monday aft. That was good.

Can you list the reasons a fedora would kick someone out of favor?

suitedcboy

One Too Many
If you are wearing low rise overly tight jeans, bright orange Kedds, you opt for a ribbon in lieu of a belt to hold up pants, you are up to 1 1/2 inch gauges in your earlobes, and the studs in nose/lips/tongue would never let you pass through airport security, and you top it all off with a woven polyurethane super stingy fedora then you definitely are in the "tool" column.

COOL OR TOOL

If you wear a fedora for the purpose of "looking cool", there's a 99% chance that you do not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner