Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

MikeBravo

One Too Many
They have gas generators that will supply electricity as well. Also, many have businesses that have electricity. I assume there's some sort of loophole that allows for that. It's an interesting culture. I will say they are generally hard workers too.

I was watching a TV programme about the Amish this week. Apparently they earn a lot of money during rumspringe because they are such hard workers. I did wonder what happens to all the money if and when they choose to commit to the religion.

And I just love their hats!

HamilcarBarca3

One of the Regulars
The only negative comment I received was from my Mother after I graduated from college, many years ago. I had a very nice, I thought, sportsmens cap, that she hated so much, she told me she would buy me any other headgear if I gave her the cap. I did and she destroyed it.

Yeah, I think my mother is the only one who really said something about my hats. She says they make me look like an older man and I can see why.. Aside from my hat I tend to wear my pants a bit higher than contemporary (I like the elongating effect). She said that I should wear something other than collared shirts, coats and hats. She doesn't say much now.

I started taking my hats to work since I sometimes work outside in the Texas sun. I work as a janitor in a Healthcare center and some of the residents were alive when hat wearing was much widespread than today. An older woman asked me if I was going to church when she saw my Stetson Sportlite at hand but I told her I use it for outside protection. Most of them don't say anything about it. Anyways I don't mind wearing my hat now that I've seen some people using umbrellas to shield out the sun! And I've noticed some panamas out there in the wild. It's mostly dominated by ballcaps but it's nice to see something new.

If I am the least bit concerned how other people think I look in any hat I wear, then I am a tool from the jump...
This is how I feel about it as well. The only other person whose opinion(s) I care about is my wife, who has to be seen with me in public occasionally. If other people like my hats, fine. If not, they're entitled to their opinions no matter how wrong they are. :D

Qvist

Familiar Face
This is how I feel about it as well. The only other person whose opinion(s) I care about is my wife, who has to be seen with me in public occasionally. If other people like my hats, fine. If not, they're entitled to their opinions no matter how wrong they are. :D

Hear hear!

Crazy Dave

Familiar Face
If I am the least bit concerned how other people think I look in any hat I wear, then I am a tool from the jump...

+1 on that.

Some people seem to think they're entitled to an opinion on how anyone else looks, then go ahead and voice that opinion and/or place the subject in an immovable category = judging a complex individual just from one glance at what is maybe 1% of his wardrobe. Sounds like just the thing a tool would do.

And it's not just hats. Try wearing a beard...

+1 on that.

Some people seem to think they're entitled to an opinion on how anyone else looks, then go ahead and voice that opinion and/or place the subject in an immovable category = judging a complex individual just from one glance at what is maybe 1% of his wardrobe. Sounds like just the thing a tool would do.

I usually tell folks that opinions are like ***holes, good things to have buts it's kinda rude to sound 'em off in public:p

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Hal

Practically Family
It surprised me initially, tbh. I now realise that their hollering is not reserved for me, but meted out to anyone "different" looking (that is, not in a wifebeater or T-shirt and jeans).
When I wrote that the babyboomer generation, even now, seems to resent classical or traditional dressing, I was meaning that their "rebellion" of the later 1960s seems to persist in their psychology today. They may now be in their sixties but haven't grown up; they protested against what they saw as conformity, and have ushered in a new conformity more intolerant than the old one. I share your impatience with their attitude.

:eek:fftopic:
I was watching a TV programme about the Amish this week. Apparently they earn a lot of money during rumspringe because they are such hard workers. I did wonder what happens to all the money if and when they choose to commit to the religion.

And I just love their hats!
:eek:fftopic: I think the money probably goes back in to the family fund. They do not pay taxes, but also do not have insurance, so if there's a disaster, the community pitches in to help.

Edward

Bartender
I'm sure that hat-wearing - at any rate in the UK - causes fewer comments if it's done for practical reasons, three of which you cite.

Still tends to depend on the hat, in my experience... the caps rarely draw much attention, but a felt fedora is a whole other ballgame. Generally not an issue in central London, but in backwaters like Belfast...

It surprised me initially, tbh. I now realise that their hollering is not reserved for me, but meted out to anyone "different" looking (that is, not in a wifebeater or T-shirt and jeans).

That's pretty much it. How dare anyone be different... I think often it's a mix of fear of the different, that which they cannot comprehend, and some level of subconscious jealousy that someone else does not feel the need to run with their herd.

It's a pity 'cause they hang out in my local pub that went up with the estate down the road in the 1860s. The next closest pub is another half mile away, and is the meeting place of the local EDL branch (ugh). The closest that I feel safe going into is a mile and a half. But our local's bad enough that The Baroness - for the twin crimes of being 1) not white and 2) quite pretty - has chosen a different, longer, route to walk to the tube. I now find out from a colleague that it's one of the last hangouts of the old East End gang families … which explains the constant fixing of windows and re-appearance of bulletholes in said windows. And probably explains all the gunfire at nights. (Easy access to Epping Forest.)

I just don't understand people who feel the need to shout and holler. A whole (armed) crowd braying at one guy with a hat. Is this what the "gangsters" have come to?

Pathetic, isn't it? Pity you don't have Mad Frankie or the likes around to knock their heads together.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I usually tell folks that opinions are like ***holes, good things to have buts it's kinda rude to sound 'em off in public:p

I can't help wondering, if that was a publicly announced opinion - and if so, how I should relate to it ;)

Of course everybody is entitled to have an opinion about the hat I'm wearing. Why on Earth should that be prohibited? I bet we all love to hear people declare their appreciation and respect for our hats and hat-wearing. If not, we probably wouldn't post so many pics of our hats here on TFL :)

illumin8em

A-List Customer
I have been told on two different occasions that I look like a smart a$$ in a hat. Don't know why two people would share the same sentiment, but so be it. Most who know me don't say a word because most of what I wear is outside of modern fashion anyways so they are just used to it. I do get a stare from time to time.

XB234C

New in Town
I've never heard anything negative, mostly "Nice hat!" A young guy at work (I'm 51) said "Love the hat!" I had just started wearing mine again as Summer is ending and it is hat weather. Women like them.

...Some people seem to think they're entitled to an opinion on how anyone else looks, then go ahead and voice that opinion and/or place the subject in an immovable category = judging a complex individual just from one glance at what is maybe 1% of his wardrobe. Sounds like just the thing a tool would do.

Or having long hair (or both, in my case). I can't recall ever having received any remarks about my beard, but for decades my hair has been fair game for anyone who's not shy about sharing their unrequested opinions.

...I bet we all love to hear people declare their appreciation and respect for our hats and hat-wearing. If not, we probably wouldn't post so many pics of our hats here on TFL :)
Surely that's part of the reason. For me the main reason is that my wife really couldn't care less about hats and therefore has little or no opinion of them, so I post photos with sincere hopes that the members here would be honest enough to tell me if a particular hat was "wrong" for me.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I finally got the comment I've read about here, when i went hatless to the bank yesterday. "Whoa, I didn't even recognize you without your hat!"

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

GHT

I'll Lock Up
There was a neat little package in the mail this morning. Strange, don't remember ordering anything. It was a CDrom and a lovely note from my God-daughter. The CD was her wedding photos. The wedding was a couple of years ago and I've seen the photos, online at the photographer's website. But it so enjoyable to sift through the many shots and reminisce that wonderful day, one more time.
The bride and her husband knew that we might turn up 'retro' as she puts it. But we did tell her what we might be wearing and the couple were more than happy to give it the seal of approval.
I would like to show you the happy couple, but I should ask their permission first, however, I can show you a couple of their guests, and I have to say, there were about two hundred guests at the ceremony and a further two hundred at the reception and not one negative comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points