Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

AndyR

One of the Regulars
but I'm a 5'4" white guy with a 10" beard who happened to be wearing a hat ... kinda sad

Yeah, I hear ya and that description certainly does not fit a Pharrell wannabe. :)

Sad indeed. The young people today only think in terms of the group mentality...everything is 'viral' or 'trending', so they think everything everyone does is only because it's the style or trend. They can't grasp the fact that some people would be doing what they're doing and wearing what they're wearing, even if they were the only ones doing it. I think all of us here fall into that category.

I only started wearing a fedora because I found a vintage hat of my grandfather's, sitting on a shelf and I was proud to wear his hat, not because I wanted to be Indiana Jones. I'm wearing a Panama hat because I wanted a nice hat for summer, not because I wanted to look like Reddington on The Blacklist. Besides, I was wearing my first Panama hat 25 years ago.

Still, since so many people today are followers, they probably think I am one too.

Andy

Last edited:

Orvil Newton

One of the Regulars
At least the Indiana Jones snarks seem to be less frequent. I traveled to New England this summer wearing a linen sport coat and fedora and did not get one negative comment. Quite the contrary, there were several compliments. I'm living in a small town on an island in SE Alaska now and people here are much more polite than anywhere else I have been. Also the wearing of hats and caps by men is almost universal.

GregNYC

One Too Many
I'm in NYC and have been wearing good-quality fedoras, Panamas and caps for a year now. I'm amazed! Lots of "Cool hat!"-type comments. I sense more respect from people. People of both genders steal looks. The tone is curious and maybe a bit admiring. Never dismissive. No snarky comments, no Indy comments.

A year ago when I began, I'd thought I might look like a wannabe, as if I was playing dress-up. That feeling withered away, as it was never reinforced by comments from others. Plus, I got lots of great advice and encouragement from folks here at the Lounge! This helped my confidence immensely!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All summer I've worn my Montecristi fino or a Tom Gomez semi calado and all I've heard is "nice hat", "I like that hat" or "where did you get that hat". Don't see many fedora wearing folks around here, but I've yet to hear a negative or smart A comment.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
I usually ware my 40s suits with my hats and I get tones of complements. If not a suit I ware dress pants a dress shirt no tie. Maybe a sport coat but always with a hat. I have 15 hats and counting XD

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I was amazed yesterday.... wearing a Panama hat summer shirt and shorts , I stopped in a store to pick up a few items and while in line waiting to check out a smartly dressed woman walked up to me and said " You sir look absolutely Dashing"..... we chatted for a few moments and off she went......in all my years of hat wearing I believe that is the best compliment I have received.........

-30-

A-List Customer
" a smartly dressed woman walked up to me and said " You sir look absolutely Dashing"..... we chatted for a few moments and off she went..... "

Both you and she impress me beyond all belief; TIMING is EVERYTHING!

LOL.

Regards,
J T

moehawk

I'll Lock Up
I mostly get positive reactions to all of my hats. More and more lately people will stop and ask about what I'm wearing that day. Today an older gentleman in a nice Western complimented my OR while at the flea market. I returned the compliment, talked hats for few. I sometimes get the Indy comments, but then again I do often wear a brown bomber, brown fedora and carry a leather satchel. Someties when dressed like this I see my reflection in a window and get the Indy theme song stuck in my head. Drives me nuts! :)

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This might be worth a separate thread: "The how often do you catch yourself humming the Indiana Jones theme song" thread. (All too often.)
Saturday we had nice autumn weather and my wife and I were about to go out for a walk. I had on a safari jacket, rakishly worn, and a tan fedora. My teen aged daughter took one look and said: "Um, a bit over-the-top, dad." I caved and left the hat at home. :(

I suppose a Jackanape would know that! :p
Jackanape?

Jackanape_zpsbdxbpmec.png

:D

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How do you rakishly wear a jacket?

Jackanapes sometimes can be found in the jungles of Sumatra. Bagged three just last week.

But, in a perfect world, aren't safari jackets meant to be worn rakishly? Think Baron Bror von Blixen in British East Africa between the wars. (or, o.k., if you must, think Robert Redford.) You roll the sleeves up a bit. If the belt is to be fastened, you tie it in a nonchalant knot rather than meticulously buckling it and using all the loops. Maybe have a pair of aviator sunglasses dangling casually from a chest pocket. If you really want to go over the top, have a copy of "My wicked, wicked ways" poking out of a bellows hip-pocket. A gin and tonic in hand completes the picture. I do draw the line at Jodhpurs.

Luis

One of the Regulars
This might be worth a separate thread: "The how often do you catch yourself humming the Indiana Jones theme song" thread. (All too often.)
Saturday we had nice autumn weather and my wife and I were about to go out for a walk. I had on a safari jacket, rakishly worn, and a tan fedora. My teen aged daughter took one look and said: "Um, a bit over-the-top, dad." I caved and left the hat at home. :(

I would've just left the jacket at home instead :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran