Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I'm a bit slow this morning because I read the whole article trying to find the significance of "wide heads" as stated in the title. It finally dawned on me that it's a typo for "wise heads".

Luis

One of the Regulars
I get stares, looks, double takes all the time.

Complete strangers have come up and said "hey man, nice hat"
Was at macy's dept store doing some shopping for the wife and asked for help, the young girl said "wow, you look really sharp, you look like you would be in the movie Godfather", wore pinstripes that day.

I usually get the "you look like you are in the mob/mafia" comment.

But I'd rather be stared at for dressing well than having sagging pants with my boxers showing.

Tony Murfin

New in Town
I've experienced a wide range of responses!

Most common have been passing references to cowboys and horses. Generally when wearing my Aussie hats. Go figure.

The fedora gets generally positive comments, e.g., cheers and horn blasts, with the occasional pimp/drug dealer reference.

The flat cap has had yells of 'slaphead!' from passing cars. Would have been offensive if I didn't have quite so much hair!

A combination of panama, linen suit and cravat had very interesting (positive) effects at a wedding reception over summer.

All the same - this is England, many of the above reactions did involve alcohol!

Slaphead? That's a new one on me.

Was out and about with my wife in Columbus, OH a couple weeks ago, shopping on High Street. A fellow in a P/U truck shouted to me, said, "Nice hat," and asked if it was a Dobbs. I thanked him and told him it was a Dalton. Got a thumbs-up.

I was at the checkout in Costco this morning wearing my knockabout hat, a Bloomingdales, 50's fedora. It has a 2" brim that I wear flipped up. The young guy at the cash looked up and went silent for a second...."Man, where did you get that hat? I would love a hat like that, it is perfect!" "It is sooo cool." For a guy like me at 66 years old, not certain if being cool is the look I was after but it was good to be noticed in a positive way.

enhanced-27883-1429078483-6.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Yesterday I was in the City of Salisbury, where, a young couple, coming out of a coffee bar, approached me and the girl said: "You look like you have just stepped of a 1940's film set."
"Well," I replied, "my name is Robert Taylor, so I take that as a compliment, thank you." They both had that: 'who the **** is Robert Taylor,' kind of perplexed look. "Are your phones online?" I enquired, adding,
Google Robert Taylor 1940's film star. They are both scrolling through their phones: "Oh man," the fella said, "was he famous or what?" "And you are his descendant, right?"
The young lady's face was a picture. Her eyes rolled, she gave him a withering stare, said goodbye for both of them, hooked her arm through his and marched him away to avoid any further embarrassment. Priceless.

Thumper15

New in Town
My normal everyday hat is in the avatar picture. Fairly large brim, flat crown, amish look to it. People are used to seeing me in it and I wear it like I was born to it. So nobody usually makes comment and the few I've heard mostly people just say it fits my look. I get a lot of stares and looks, but I'm 6'1" with a 52" chest, a large beard and I'm normally carrying a pistol, so the hat probably has little to do with it lol

facade

A-List Customer
The gals at the local nudie bar like my hats and the way I dress in general. The bartendress said something along the lines of "Man you have so many great hats. You have way more style than me, I need to take you shopping with me."

ingineer

One Too Many
facade;
That is funny, the dancers always wanted to see if a "ten gallon" hat fit them
Not on their head
The old Bailey saw a lot more than me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran