Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

nidan48

New in Town
I started wearing hats sometime in the spring of 2012 when I began walking the dogs in town daily. I'd worn headgear back then as a runner and sometime in the early 80's while under the influence of Indiana Jones I bought 2 Akubras from David Morgan but most of the time I was too self conscious to wear them, unless it was raining or snowing, so they sat for years up on a shelf. Who knew to save a hat box? No one wore hats then. The daily dog thing became a daily hat thing for the walk, I bought some more and the monkey climbed up on my back.
Now I feel normal wearing a hat. In the summer there are a lot of straw fedoras. I almost never see a real felt fedora in the cool weather so I may be one of very very few. But they are warm and keep the sun out of my eyes.
But people rarely react to my hats because they are too busy reacting to my dogs. Dobermans seem to be as rare as hats.

B1ggles

Familiar Face
So he moved off his dime.
Not so much moved off, as fell off. On my backside. And then publicised it. The search is on for the missing brain cells, as well as a tastier recipe for humble pie.

I have (purely for my own satisfaction) searched for the thread that so misled me in hat/church etiquette but without success, which actually makes me feel worse; it may have been some link to an outside site, making it harder/impossible to track down. But at least I have had the error of my ways brought home to me.

Not so much moved off, as fell off. On my backside. And then publicised it. The search is on for the missing brain cells, as well as a tastier recipe for humble pie.

I have (purely for my own satisfaction) searched for the thread that so misled me in hat/church etiquette but without success, which actually makes me feel worse; it may have been some link to an outside site, making it harder/impossible to track down. But at least I have had the error of my ways brought home to me.

It's all good. At least to me. Now post some photos of hats!

suitedcboy

One Too Many
"Christian churches, as a rule, regard it as disrespectful for men to wear a hat while in the premises - the reverse of the Jewish tradition (I've been requested before now to wear a Yarmulke when visiting synagogues; the only problem I ever had with that was keeping it on. Lack of hair to clip it to....). The rules for ladies vary significantly. Back in the early seventies, my aunt and my mother were once informed, from the pulpit, during service, that they would not be welcome to come forward take communion because they were not wearing hats. (Paisley's church.... so somewhat unsurprising that they wre less than compromising!)"

Just to make this more confusing, I go to the local Cowboy Church. This is a quasi-Baptist denomination that has become popular in the southwest US. These churches usually have horse arenas on the property. In Cowboy Church you wear your hat during sermon and all other times except when you bow for prayer. I can assure you the members do not hold any beliefs that this headgear donning is disrespectful nor does it preclude entry into Heaven. I think this is exactly the right etiquette. If you have been wearing your hat for long hours most of your life then you have this odd fading color ascension to the top of your head and it needs to remain covered unless no one is looking (i.e., when heads are bowed) out of respect for others. But then again I'm a stubborn sort and I'd rather you not take off your underwear and hold it when indoors out of some sort of wrong ritual of respect where the action is neither respectful or sensical. I do defer to private home hosts and remove my head cover if that seems to be the norm in that home. I'm only talking about public places here.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Back in the early seventies, my aunt and my mother were once informed, from the pulpit, during service, that they would not be welcome to come forward take communion because they were not wearing hats.

Wow, that's rather harsh. Poor judgement in IMHO.

Andy

suitedcboy

One Too Many
I have no idea how this got double posted 2 1/2 hours apart. I wiped it out.

Andy R, What I posted in quotes was a partial quote of an earlier post of another members to preface my post about cowboy church and the hats on in a church practiced there.

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
All the male members of my father's North Texas family showed the same fading color ascension. If I went to Church, a Cowboy Church might be my first choice. Sounds like they have the right attitude about hat wearing, that being it doesn't impugn your moral character if you choose to ignore some old and stuffy rules about it.

That said, since I grew up at a certain time and in a certain place and I just can't shake the upbringing, I take my hat off indoors. But I don't hold it against anyone who doesn't.

"I started to question all of this stupid hat **** when I was a kid...one of the things they told us was that if a boy or a man went into a church he had to remove his hat in order to honor the presence of God. But, they had already told me that God was everywhere. So I used to wonder, 'Well, if God is everywhere, why would you even own a hat? Why not show your respect, don't even buy a hat?' And just to confuse things further, they told the women exactly the opposite. Catholic women and girls had to cover their heads when they went into church. The same as in certain temples; Jewish men had to cover their heads in those temples, in those same temples Jewish women [were] not allowed to cover their heads. So try to figure this out. Catholic men and Jewish women, no hats. Catholic men and Jewish women, hats. Somebody's got the whole thing totally backwards, don't you think? And what is this religious fascination with headgear? Every religion's got a different hat! Did you ever notice that? The Hindus have a turban, the Sikhs have a tall white turban, Jews have a yarmulke, the Muslims have the taqiyah, the Bishop has a pointy hat on one day and a round hat on another day, the Cardinal has a red hat, the Pope has...why everybody has a hat? One group takes them off, the other group puts them on. Personally I would never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat, or you can't wear a hat. I think all religions should have one rule and one rule only: 'Hats optional'. That's all you need to run a really good religion."

George Carlin

Thank you Gents! :yo: To be clear, I posted that particular routine not because I am anti-religion, but because I thought Mr. Carlin rather eloquently expressed his observations on how confusing the differences between the various religions' etiquettes can be, even with regards to something as simple as wearing, or not wearing, a hat. Of course, I did remove some of the more "colorful" words. :D

If we look at most etiquette too closely it doesn't make much sense. Or most any human constructed social more. I loved Carlin too; however, I never could match his cynicism.

-30-

A-List Customer
"If we look at most etiquette too closely it doesn't make much sense."
Frunobulax.

Actually, it does, as the so-called Proper Behaviour Rules are nothing more than to allow a
smooth, no surprises, flow of social interaction; it's not known as Polite Company, for no reason.
After having written that, do bear in mind that in calling-out a philistine in public, only applies,
at the worst, to their unrepentant/blatant attitude of poor behaviour and should not entail actions
where ignorant display is of actual literal consequence.

Examples:

A chauffeur should, where practical, walk around the rear of the auto to assist the egress of the passenger(s),
this action however, where practical, should never occur when driving a hearse.
Why is that, you ask? As for the first, the passenger(s) really don't want to see you waltz-tripping around in
front of them as you arrive to open their door; it's a distraction that is easy to avoid. As for the second, the
family of the deceased, in no mean terms, also doesn't need the distraction for a more obvious reason.
The above separates The Professional/Gentleman from an Also-ran.

A Gentleman should remove his hat whilst within an elevator where women are present is an old but continues
to be, but surprisingly, appreciated action even among the younger generation, unless the amount of press is
too crowded to do so. There are a number of reasons to not to remove the hat, the physical space to do so, being the primary concern.

"WOW! What do I do with all of these tools?"
"They are eating utensils, there being rules, so that it is convenient to know which one is to be used, how and why."

There are vast multitudes of examples; they being, if nothing else, to allow life to flow within a predictable manner
with respect to and for others and the interaction with them; no suprises!

Regards,
J T

Last edited:
I agree wholeheartedly, JT. These are the social graces hat smooth out life's interactions. And most have practical origins. However, there appears to be no practicality to the religious rules, and are seen purely as a sign of respect. If that's not your thing, however...

-30-

A-List Customer
I always respected George, both on and off of the stage, he being a Gentleman and as I can relate,
as were most of my clients; note the word "most".

LOL

We lost a good man.

Regards,
J T

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I thought of this thread this morning

I was at Target with my wife and daughter wearing my Tawny CD when two twenty something kids walked past me and sort of under their breath said ... " ok Pharrell "

then while walking away sang ...."because I'm happyyyyyyy ...."

I pretended I didn't hear ... and I was not insulted in any way by the comments ... more saddened that the only reference to hat wearers people of their age have is Pharrell Williams

I have absolutely nothing against Pharrell by the way ... I've actually been a fan since he was producing and writing in the early 90s and his days in N.E.R.D in the late 90s

but I'm a 5'4" white guy with a 10" beard who happened to be wearing a hat ... kinda sad

I thought of this thread this morning

I was at Target with my wife and daughter wearing my Tawny CD when two twenty something kids walked past me and sort of under their breath said ... " ok Pharrell "

then while walking away sang ...."because I'm happyyyyyyy ...."

I pretended I didn't hear ... and I was not insulted in any way by the comments ... more saddened that the only reference to hat wearers people of their age have is Pharrell Williams

I have absolutely nothing against Pharrell by the way ... I've actually been a fan since he was producing and writing in the early 90s and his days in N.E.R.D in the late 90s

but I'm a 5'4" white guy with a 10" beard who happened to be wearing a hat ... kinda sad

Well, that's their limited exposure to the world, right? And their snarky cynicism about the world. Meanwhile, every item of their own clothing was likely chosen due to the influence of somebody else.

Read my siggy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112