Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I was walking my dog last week wearing my Resistol Stagecoach....

IW_02.jpg

....when a car load of smart mouth kids drove by and yelled, "Hey! Is that a Broke Back Mountain hat?!"

"Hey kid! Is that your face, or did your neck throw up?!"

Guardian Enzo

One of the Regulars
Ha! Well, I have to admit to not knowing much about Dr. Who, other than some brief images from when the kids have watched it. Maybe they thought I was Clark Kent!

Well, Zombie was right, that bowtie Doctor did sometimes wear a fez. Were you wearing a fez? That would explain it!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Alan, you are welcome. The livestock show and rodeo is a very big event here that lasts three weeks. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other hat cleaning stations on the rodeo grounds. I'm only familiar with this one gentleman though. I would imagine he does quite well during the three week event. Lots of dusty western hats at an event like this!

Here is a little history on the San Antonio Livestock Show and Rodeo.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Antonio_Stock_Show_&_Rodeo

http://www.sarodeo.com
When I lived in Denver I visited the annual Stock Show only once, in January of '98. Bought a moss green Stetson western which I still have (and perhaps should get re-fashioned into a fedora or OR). I wasn't tuned in to hats as much as I am now, so I didn't notice if there were Open Roads as well as the big black western style hats it seemed everybody wore.

wcbrown

One of the Regulars
I stopped by the PA wine & spirits store doing a little bourbon shopping the other night wearing my VS Last Man. The young lady working the counter said "love the hat"! Works for me.

Attachments

• VS.jpg
    VS.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 657

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
I live in a very small town where most everyone is used to my hats. I get remarks only on the rare day I am without one. The other day during a very very windy day I left my hat in the car and ran into the grocery store to pick up some milk. Four people, two I didn't know ask where my hat was.

EliasRDA

One of the Regulars
OKay, been wearing my VS Dk Cherry since I got it on Boxing Day, with only 2 days off (wind was ripping it off faster than I could place it & was afraid I'd tear the trolley off or the brim), and I've gotten quite a few comments in the positive vein on it. Many here love the color of it, the purple really pops when I catch it in the sun, sets off my purple shirts quite well. Even the pine green shirts work with it. :)

But the best comments came last week.. I was at the Elsmere VA hospital to get my VHIC card paperwork straightened out, there were 2 slightly older ladies there, separately. The first one struck me as an former officer type, maybe a bit older than me so early 50's. She saw my hat & while I was waiting on help she was saying to another staffer about how men used to wear hats like mine, and she wished they would come back. She then got a better look at me but still said she wished people would go back to wearing "proper" hats.
She did say that the ladies in her church still mostly dress up, I asked her about her church (I figured I knew the answer but didn't want to assume). She confirmed it was a southern Baptist church, but closer to Philly, she lamented the fact many of the "youngsters" did gangster or sweat looks, she hated that & was trying to work with the minister (pastor?) and the deacons to get the kids outta them nasty clothes (her words). LOL

I agreed with her, I also said the ballcaps were getting to me. She liked my look, even for the cold weather. I was up there for a discussion with a client & the builders in addition so knowing I would be out in snow & dirt, I still dressed nicely in new jeans, low hiking boots, a purple button down & my denim lined jacket. A mix between casual & dress, but the hat made the difference & seemed to pull it together just fine.

While I was waiting to be called back to financial another older lady, maybe late 50's to early 60's was sitting across from me. She loved the color of the hat, so I was explaining to her it was a custom & my b-day/xmas present. She asked to hold it, so of course I obliged :) She started pointing out things like the hat band to a gentleman she seemed to know, he was older (maybe late 70's) & he perked right up. He started talking about how the men in his family & neighborhood wore hats like that, and how nice the look was. Of course right at that moment they called me back so I couldn't thank them properly, I felt bad asking the lady for my hat back as it seemed to make the man so happy instead of dreading his time at the VA. I did thank them both for the compliments.

Of course afterwards I went over to the Christiana Mall & got a couple young salesladies to compliment the hat, but that was mostly just the "cool hat". Course one young lady said she wanted it, which I had to politely deny. ;)

javadave61

Practically Family
No matter what hat I'm wearing (fedora, gambler, straw, akubra) in any photo I post on Facebook, I inevitably get the comment, "Indiana Jones!"

emigran

Practically Family
Walking back from the barber , at a traffic light... several young folks in a pick up... Hey Buddy... great hat... made my day...

kaosharper1

One Too Many
New one today. I was wearing the VS custom which is a midnight blue version of the one in my avatar. We went to the theater, and an usher complemented me on my hat. And then added "Blacklist." I know he meant well but this is a wide brimmed 20s style crease. Oh well. At least he liked it.

New one today. I was wearing the VS custom which is a midnight blue version of the one in my avatar. We went to the theater, and an usher complemented me on my hat. And then added "Blacklist." I know he meant well but this is a wide brimmed 20s style crease. Oh well. At least he liked it.
While it's true James Spader appears to favor narrower brims for Raymond Reddington's wardrobe, at least the usher didn't call you "Dr. Jones". :D

Hat Dandy

One of the Regulars
I was call Indiana Jones once but I was really asking for it. I was wearing my taupe colored fedora while visiting Petra! :)

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Indy comments when wearing a brown hat. LBJ comments when wearing an open road type hat in cattlemans crease, and Pharrell comments when wearing a Strat or open road in fedora crease.

kaosharper1

One Too Many
While it's true James Spader appears to favor narrower brims for Raymond Reddington's wardrobe, at least the usher didn't call you "Dr. Jones". :D

Very true! But with this hat I've never gotten a reference to another hat wearer before. Though once, when I was about to enter the cathedral in Milan, a guy at the door called me "Mr. Cowboy." And here was in Milan, the home of Borsalino. Go figure.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
My mother called me out on the indy thing once. Though to her credit. I was wearing my Christy's Adventurer. "Oh, you're here....as Indiana Jones."

I had a nice chat with a gentleman in the grocery store the other day. He was wearing an outback style Orvis hat, and I was wearing a fedora-styled OR. He observed that most people these days don't appreciate a good hat. I find for some reason folks in the grocery store-clerks, bagboys and girls and customers comment quite often on my hats.

I had a nice chat with a gentleman in the grocery store the other day. He was wearing an outback style Orvis hat, and I was wearing a fedora-styled OR. He observed that most people these days don't appreciate a good hat. I find for some reason folks in the grocery store-clerks, bagboys and girls and customers comment quite often on my hats.

Now that I think of it, that's true. I've gotten a couple of comments from checkout folks and the like. The funny thing, it's mostly from guys, too. Maybe they're envious. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner