Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
Some guy on the bus said I looked like a gangster and asked If I was going to church. I'm not in a gang but I was going to mass.

I said to the gentleman that I was both.

EstherWeis

Vendor
For me, it pretty much always positive reactions.
As a woman you sure get looked at by most, and a lot of men comment on it.
"Hey, that's a nice hat", " very stylish" etc... Women ( at least Belgian ones) like them, but always tell that they are to self conscious to wear them.
Also, I'm one of the younger generation hat wearers, so people are often surprised when they see younger people wearing them.

APP Adrian

A-List Customer
For me, it pretty much always positive reactions.
As a woman you sure get looked at by most, and a lot of men comment on it.
"Hey, that's a nice hat", " very stylish" etc... Women ( at least Belgian ones) like them, but always tell that they are to self conscious to wear them.
Also, I'm one of the younger generation hat wearers, so people are often surprised when they see younger people wearing them.

If you remember the history of The Fedora, the hat was originally a women's hat =). Me personally, I think a Fedora is a unisex hat, anyone can wear it.

EstherWeis

Vendor
If you remember the history of The Fedora, the hat was originally a women's hat =). Me personally, I think a Fedora is a unisex hat, anyone can wear it.

Oh absolutely!
It pretty much suits everyone. You can style it any way you like.
But you know, i wear other types too.
As a woman you have more to choose from style/color wise.

Last edited:

Cattus Petasatus

One of the Regulars
I never put my hat through the X-ray. I wear it until they ask me to remove it, if they ask me at all. If they want to put it through X-Ray I then ask if they want something on their head that has been through an X-ray machine where things off people's feet have passed. They then hand check it and off I go.

I'll have to try that. Everytime I fly they tell me to put mine through the x-ray machine.

I'll put my hat in a bucket, put it on the belt, then watch the rubber curtin roll it out of bucket, onto the belt (at this point, I start praying it comes out the other end.) The worst it's done so far is knock the crown out of shape.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I was in my local High Street a few days ago and saw one of my old school mistresses who said that I looked very dapper, I was wearing my Panama at the time. Very nice to receive that comment and to see her too.

ChicagoWayVito

Practically Family
Was running errands today and on two separate occasions a woman told me that they liked my hat. I thanked them politely and told them that I made it and that really surprised them. They asked if I was a hatter, I responded that I am an aspiring hatter. Very good comments though. I do notice that in general people take extra notice of a person wearing a non-snapback/baseball style hat.

I do notice that in general people take extra notice of a person wearing a non-snapback/baseball style hat.
I went to the Orange County (California) Fair with my wife and some family and friends yesterday evening, and I wore my Tawny Fawn Fed IV. While walking around I got nods from a couple of gents, and what I interpreted as some appreciative looks from several ladies of various age ranges. That was a first for me. lol

As season ticket holders, we attend quite a few of the local Single A Dayton Dragons baseball games. We've been attending since the park first opened 16 years ago, and some of the ushers and ticket takers have been around as long. This being my first summer as a well-hatted individual, I now usually wear a felt or straw fedora to the games, rather than a baseball cap. One of the ushers who has been there the entire time has taken notice of mine and my wife's hat wearing (some of me has rubbed off on her, as well). Lately, he has been commenting on our hats as we walk into the park. Yesterday, he made sure I was noticing as he pointed at my Stetson Milan and then back to his own head, big grin on his face.

My wife told me, "I think you have a new hat buddy!"

rogerstg

A-List Customer
I went to my grand daughter's birthday cookout last Sunday (4 y/o). I wore Panama Bob's entry level Panama and received enthusiastic compliments from several of the younger women, and a few compliments from some of the younger men. By younger, I mean 30ish year old folks.

Roger

I live in town, in a fairly diverse neighborhood, and on any given day, between the hipsters and gangstas and full out drag queens, no one even notices a guy in a hat. Last night, however, I had taken my kids out to visit my mom, who lives in a more rural, conservative community north of the city, and I had to run into the local walmart. I was reminded very quickly, from all the odd looks and stares, that anything other than a ball cap is still very out of the ordinary for anyone under the age of, say, 90.

Last edited:

PabloElFlamenco

Practically Family
Way back the late 1970's, when I first timidly started wearing hats around the youthful age of 30 years, my first hat was stolen from me.

Around 1980, at a downtown Antwerp Rock 'n Roll bar, I got accused of being an FBI agent for wearing a Fléchet (good French brand). Undoubtedly a broad-minded person.

In later days, I got fully accustomed to wearing what I consider to be very fine hats of various types. Reactions to these differ.

The large western hats get the most and least-preferred "attention", probably for being outlandish (as they are) and people tend to link them to C&W music (I listen to Rameau, too) and to "cowboys", a rather negative (and completely incorrect) connotation here I do have a link: I did live in El Paso, once.

The fedoras, since they go well with my tweeds, don't particularly elicit anything, except from people (preferably ladies, but never mind) who have a taste for good hats (or?), quite rare.

The toquilla hats sometimes get a response; whether that is due to the Hawaiian shirt, though, I wouldn't know. Strictly summer.

But, in all truth, with age the wearing of very nice hats has given me confidence and permits the use of style as a way of communication. People do, sometimes, respond to the "thumb and indexfinger brim tip", my favorite form of greeting. There are definite advantages to being a bit older, even if those tend to be limited to face-value...

But no matter what, my hats are here to stay, until I go. Where thereafter?

Pablo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21