Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

MisplacedHillbilly

One of the Regulars
I get pretty much the same reaction, typically "cool hat,wish I could wear something like that " kind of remarks. I only wear western hats occasionally I get the "You ain't no cowboy" staredown,mostly from someone who thinks owning a horse and riding it 2-3 times a year makes them more qualified. The rare occasion someone makes a negative comment I usually ask "Have YOU ever been armpit deep in the stinky end of a bovine?" Usually shuts them up lol. But honestly the negative comments are pretty rare, and I like the positive ones. But most of all I like the curious ones, then I get the best chance to encourage someone else to wear a hat!

MichaelSeed

New in Town
I've seen many internet posts ridiculing people who wear hats, and I think we've all seen the infamous 'le fedora' or 'm'lady' memes. But the stereotype behind that ridicule comes from guys who just don't know how to wear hats, like people who think wearing a $2 cotton or plastic trilby several sizes too small automatically makes them super fashionable.

I find that in the real world when I'm out and about most people don't look twice at me. And the few people who stop to notice usually approach with compliments or curiosity. I always try to tell them that anyone can look good in a hat and where some of the local shops are, there are 3 really good ones here in Melbourne.

There aren't any set in stone rules to how to wear hat. But you have to put the effort in to make it look like it belongs on your head. My personal rules I set for myself are: the hat shouldn't be the most formal part of the outfit, must wear collared shirt if wearing jeans, can get away with a plain t-shirt if the pants and shoes and belt are a little dressier, business casual is the least formal attire I'd don one of my lids for. I've seen other people look amazing wearing shorts and a tank top with a hat, so obviously no one needs to fallow my rules of thumb. The point is, if you put the effort into looking good instead of just adding the hat last minute as an after thought it makes a difference.

I'm at a loss for understanding why more people here in Australia don't wear hats. This country has the highest rate of skin cancer in the world with 2/3 people getting melanoma in their lifetimes, mostly men on their ears and faces. And this is literally the home and birth place of the Akubra. Their hats are sold around every corner for really cheap but no one wears them. They're really nice hats. I just wish I could find some decent panamas here.

I typically get compliments and occasionally an envious look or comment such as “I wish I could pull off wearing a hat”, I honestly think people would like to wear hats again and dress classier but just lack the self confidence. I think people are afraid to change their style or to stand out.
My money is on the "stand out" part. Most people I know don't want to do anything to draw extra attention to themselves, they just want to be able to come and go as they please and, of course, have someone to be their personal servant when necessary.

I've seen many internet posts ridiculing people who wear hats, and I think we've all seen the infamous 'le fedora' or 'm'lady' memes. But the stereotype behind that ridicule comes from guys who just don't know how to wear hats, like people who think wearing a $2 cotton or plastic trilby several sizes too small automatically makes them super fashionable...
I've actually had young men wearing this inexpensive type of hat see me wearing one of my Akubras and give me dirty looks as if it was my fault they didn't put more thought or money into their purchase.

...I find that in the real world when I'm out and about most people don't look twice at me. And the few people who stop to notice usually approach with compliments or curiosity...
This has been my experience too. If I'd known how little attention anyone would pay to my hats I'd have started wearing them a few decades earlier. And the few people who approached me to inquire about my hat were very kind and seemed to be sincerely interested...well, until I told them the price and that they'd have to order them online from Australia. ;)

Last edited:

Samson25

Familiar Face
I think it’s interesting that people will buy a pair of shoes that la

I find it remarkable that people will buy a pair of basketball shoes for $2-300 that will last a year, but won’t buy a high quality hat for $150. They’re shocked to find that you’ll have to pay that much.
Back in the 50s-60s Men spent 13% of their income on clothing/ attire.
Today it is close to only 7% yearly.
Also, the average piece of clothing today gets worn only an average of 7 times before it gets replaced.
I have no problem spending more for quality.

Also, the average piece of clothing today gets worn only an average of 7 times before it gets replaced.

Worn only seven time…is that right?

I recently found a hole in a sock and was muttering about the decline in quality when my wife reminded me that I bought those socks when I started my current job in 1994 so 27 years of use isn’t too shabby. I figured they were worn at least once every other week so I got more than 700 wears out of them.

M

I recently found a hole in a sock and was muttering about the decline in quality when my wife reminded me that I bought those socks when I started my current job in 1994 so 27 years of use isn’t too shabby. I figured they were worn at least once every other week so I got more than 700 wears out of them.
Maybe best value EVER, I buy Costco socks, they are cheap but I measure their life span in days....not weeks or months!
An upside to being a hat wearer......we have a local craft brew pub just down the street....we frequent it but not that often but when we do my wife and I invariably wear our hats as we sit outside (they have an open tent/canopy for rainy days.) We are always recognized by our hats and are greeted warmly. The first time we visited under the new 'vaccine passport' regimen their reader would not read/register our cards. But the server just waved us in....."What the hell, I know you if the gov't shows us let them scan your passport code, what can I pour you?" So I consider that a huge plus and all because we are hat wearers and noticed as such.

M

Maybe best value EVER, I buy Costco socks, they are cheap but I measure their life span in days....not weeks or months!
An upside to being a hat wearer......we have a local craft brew pub just down the street....we frequent it but not that often but when we do my wife and I invariably wear our hats as we sit outside (they have an open tent/canopy for rainy days.) We are always recognized by our hats and are greeted warmly. The first time we visited under the new 'vaccine passport' regimen their reader would not read/register our cards. But the server just waved us in....."What the hell, I know you if the gov't shows us let them scan your passport code, what can I pour you?" So I consider that a huge plus and all because we are hat wearers and noticed as such.

Oh, and the really sad news is that the pub just closed its doors for good. Could not make it work with the reduced seating required by the gov't. I lament I didn't support them better and drink more beer!!! I shoulda/coulda made that sacrifice for the greater good.

The family home I was born and raised in was built in 1949/50 and was the first of the modern subdivision homes in Canada. 3 bedrooms just one small bathroom and the smallest damn closets you could imagine. Somehow my mom & dad fit all their attire in the one tiny closet. My dad became a salesman so he wore suits/hats (I think he had two of each) plus dress shirts etc and somehow they made it fit. I have a walk in and still manage to fill it up with crap spilling out. The problem is that I do buy quality AND quantity so the 'stuff' mounts up. I have 30 year old shoes!

Samson25

Familiar Face
Yo Belfast, those were different times.
I remember seeing my mother cleaning and shining my father's shoes once a week, in the evening after dinner was over.
When I buy something...Clothing or a Hat (which I am starting to get into),
it is an investment, to which I am bound to take care of.

The family home I was born and raised in was built in 1949/50 and was the first of the modern subdivision homes in Canada. 3 bedrooms just one small bathroom and the smallest damn closets you could imagine. Somehow my mom & dad fit all their attire in the one tiny closet. My dad became a salesman so he wore suits/hats (I think he had two of each) plus dress shirts etc and somehow they made it fit. I have a walk in and still manage to fill it up with crap spilling out. The problem is that I do buy quality AND quantity so the 'stuff' mounts up. I have 30 year old shoes!

Samson25

Familiar Face
I go through alot of socks quickly as I wear them as footwear around my Mancave.
Obviously you bought at the time something of quality, right?
...And the quality was better back then too.

Last edited:

Samson25

Familiar Face
I have what now could be called a vintage "Burberrys" trench coat
( I bought it in London at their flagship store back in 1980).
I saved hard for it.
Still looks great, still wearing it.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
As of 2020, Costco was the fifth largest retailer in the world, according to Wiki, add to that, they have just opened their 27th UK store and I have never heard of them, what a sheltered life I lead. My socks are not cheap, I buy from Rocket Originals, they cost about £8 per pair.

As of 2020, Costco was the fifth largest retailer in the world, according to Wiki, add to that, they have just opened their 27th UK store and I have never heard of them, what a sheltered life I lead. My socks are not cheap, I buy from Rocket Originals, they cost about £8 per pair.
For that money you can get a dozen at Costco. When we toured Scotland for 2 months in 2019, staying in cottages/self catering our first stop was in Aberdeen to hit the Costco for supplies.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
The past few days I’ve wandered over to the grocery store to get a few things wearing one of my vintage fedoras and my leather A-2 flight jacket (which of course is going to get the “Indiana Jones “ stereotype) but I have to say , like previous people have mentioned most people don’t pay any attention. I did notice (without trying to look like I noticed them noticing me…) That a handful of women actually gave a glance in the curiosity kind of vibe. Does that make sense? Not in a “look at that goofball” kind of vibe! LOL! They didn’t give me any kind of roll eyes or “what a weirdo” sort of look it seemed to me like a little approval look on their faces… could be me just trying to justify it and remain confident and casual but I do think a lot of women kind of wish more men would dress like Cary Grant! lol!… Anyway I wasn’t wearing a suit or an overcoat and not even a tie but I did have a nice collared shirt and khaki chinos and leather shoes … Funny thing is the checkout girl… (and I always look for a check out “girl”) :p was too busy to even notice! LOL! Not a glance! Oh well … not that I’m fishing for compliments anyway.
This Sunday I’m spending the day at the Steeple Chase of Charleston which is a National Steeplechase Association sanctioned horse Race. (a distance horse race in which competitors are required to jump obstacles.) sadly betting on horses is illegal in South Carolina well, at least “officially” :p
A little pricey for a ticket but I need to get out of the apartment, hobnob and live a little. what appealed to me about going to this particular event is that it’s highly encouraged for people to dress the part! Women wear big stylish hats and Men in fedoras so I won’t feel the least bit self conscious there! Their website even has a race day hat and style guide! :D Going to be fun. I’ll try to post pictures when I return from it.

The past few days I’ve wandered over to the grocery store to get a few things wearing one of my vintage fedoras and my leather A-2 flight jacket (which of course is going to get the “Indiana Jones “ stereotype) but I have to say , like previous people have mentioned most people don’t pay any attention. I did notice (without trying to look like I noticed them noticing me…) That a handful of women actually gave a glance in the curiosity kind of vibe. Does that make sense? Not in a “look at that goofball” kind of vibe! LOL! They didn’t give me any kind of roll eyes or “what a weirdo” sort of look it seemed to me like a little approval look on their faces… could be me just trying to justify it and remain confident and casual but I do think a lot of women kind of wish more men would dress like Cary Grant! lol!… Anyway I wasn’t wearing a suit or an overcoat and not even a tie but I did have a nice collared shirt and khaki chinos and leather shoes … Funny thing is the checkout girl… (and I always look for a check out “girl”) :p was too busy to even notice! LOL! Not a glance! Oh well … not that I’m fishing for compliments anyway.
This Sunday I’m spending the day at the Steeple Chase of Charleston which is a National Steeplechase Association sanctioned horse Race. (a distance horse race in which competitors are required to jump obstacles.) sadly betting on horses is illegal in South Carolina well, at least “officially” :p
A little pricey for a ticket but I need to get out of the apartment, hobnob and live a little. what appealed to me about going to this particular event is that it’s highly encouraged for people to dress the part! Women wear big stylish hats and Men in fedoras so I won’t feel the least bit self conscious there! Their website even has a race day hat and style guide! :D Going to be fun. I’ll try to post pictures when I return from it.
In the millinery world those big hats are known as 'fascinators'. In the UK the world of women's hats is a really big deal.

Edward Reed

A-List Customer
In the millinery world those big hats are known as 'fascinators'. In the UK the world of women's hats is a really big deal.
Yes! These pics were from last year’s steeplechase so I’m very much looking forward to doing a little peacocking and seeing the ladies in hats! :D

5DBA36E2-F232-4AF0-9663-320A27C73331.jpeg
D5C73C8B-468D-4DBE-96F7-81DC0032FA1E.jpeg

979D446D-6BF5-4360-AB0F-988C9C064A0D.jpeg
View attachment 377563 View attachment 377564
7C5C7BF5-C65A-43C3-A565-78C6DB144C97.jpeg
BAE3A262-100C-422A-AE37-569362C44E71.jpeg

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Going to the races, you might consider a "derby"!!!

20200506_203615.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The fascinator comes in all guises. This one that Tina is wearing is fitted to a band that, in turn, fits over her head. It means that she can wear the hat like fascinator at any angle. Think I will stick to the fedora.
pauline & jim's wedding 005.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot