Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do loungers deal with extreme cold weather?

LaymanX

One of the Regulars
The ANJ4's look great, but you will literally die in -36 deg celsius.. ie. extreme cold weather

Uh, lemme see.. that's -32.8 Fahrenheit.

It feels like knives stabbing into your unprotected face for a few minutes. Then you don't feel much anymore.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I find 6 degrees celsius cold enough thank you so I for one am pretty pleased I don't live where there's snow and ice. But unfortunately I do get 49 degree heat waves where the footpath melts and my shirt buttons catch fire...

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I deal with extreme cold the same way I deal with heat waves in the summer - I don't leave the house. If I'm forced to, it's multiple layers of wool and a Carhartt Winter jacket on top of it.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I deal with extreme cold the same way I deal with heat waves in the summer - I don't leave the house. If I'm forced to, it's multiple layers of wool and a Carhartt Winter jacket on top of it.

Lucky you. Unfortunately if you have a job or you don't work from home, you're screwed. :D

Edward

Bartender
At this time of year I can't wait to get to the office, because it has air con! ;)

I find 6 degrees celsius cold enough thank you so I for one am pretty pleased I don't live where there's snow and ice. But unfortunately I do get 49 degree heat waves where the footpath melts and my shirt buttons catch fire...

Yeah, that would kill me. I think the hottest I've ever been in was 40C, and I just spent the entire time wishing I was dead already. If I never had to be anywhere over 12 C again, I'd be just fine with that. I suspect my perfect Summer isn't far off your Southern Hemisphere Winter....

At this time of year I can't wait to get to the office, because it has air con! ;)

Yeah, that would kill me. I think the hottest I've ever been in was 40C, and I just spent the entire time wishing I was dead already. If I never had to be anywhere over 12 C again, I'd be just fine with that. I suspect my perfect Summer isn't far off your Southern Hemisphere Winter....

I too find it impossible to exist in anything over 20c. And we're always having five days in a row of around 38c - 41c. You kinda get used to it after the fourth day, somehow but until that point it's literally torture.

I hate summers...

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I hate summers...
I love the English summer, it's my favourite day of the year.
Yeah. I spent my entire leave period last month in the London heat wave wishing it was over. Hideous.
The festival revellers at Atomic and others on the last week of July wouldn't agree with you, nor those attending The newbury Retro Festival last weekend. The hottest weather that we've had in over forty years, what odds would you give on a wash out?
My missus and I love the hot weather although, as she pointed out when I said that our utility bills would be lower, celebrating that might be a bit premature, wait until we see the electricity bill for all the fans that have been on.

Edward

Bartender
Yeah, I'm glad I wasn't at any of the events over the Summer. Fortunately the Chap Olympiad this year was on one of the cooler days - a washout is never great for an outdoor event, though I find this sort of heat equally unpleasant as being out in driving rain all day. I can, at least, dress for the rain.

oneterrifichog

Practically Family
Warm Jacket and a scarf is about all you need in Tennessee.
DSC_0022 (2).JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Warm Jacket and a scarf is about all you need in Tennessee. View attachment 131154
I've never been to Tennessee when it's snowing, but I once got caught driving through a storm. It was so bad that I was forced to stop the car. Talk about biblical.
Like you, when it's cold I will simply slip a leather on but I still wear an Aloha shirt, that and a straw hat, especially if the sun shines, bright but bitter cold, otherwise I wear a felt hat. The trousers are pure wool.
old photos 075.JPG

Back when I was in my thirties, I was the night manager of a parcel sortation hub. With the warehouse doors always open for the trucks to reverse onto, heating was pointless. I kept myself and the workers warm by issuing them with thermal long johns underwear. That's ankle length underpants and wrist length sleeves. You would be amazed at how warm they can be.

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
I don't know that we have extreme cold weather here in the UK that much but we did have a cooler winter with a fair bit of snow this year.

I'd tried a couple of budget Irvin options but none of them worked out and then I ordered a Pike Brothers N1 from Aero. I think it was the only jacket I wore for about three months this year, really pleased I ordered it and it arrived just before the turn in the weather.

Decent warm gloves in which you can still function are something I do need to sort out for this year though...

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Long johns under my pants and upper layers, Eddie Bauer Weatheredge parka, thick, insulated leather gloves, a cozy woolen scarf, thick wool beanie (which can be substituted with my thick woolen bespoke newsboy cap), and thick woolen socks with a second thinner pair underneath capped off with a pair of Carolina Loggers made of thick leather.

Last edited:

Goel

A-List Customer
I have a massively oversized greatcoat, peacoat, deck jacket and recently got a goatskin field jacket with a wool liner that I will be wearing in winter once they fix my arm issue, but I haven't found my perfect cold weather coat yet. I'd really like to get a shearling coat but most are waist length which is too short for extreme cold, and the only shearling parka I've been seeing around here is the B7 which is a bit over the top.

Dav

One Too Many
Long johns, heavy trousers, long sleeve t shirts, thick shirts, sheepskin. I even had a sheepskin vest under a B-3 last winter.
But this is my preferred method :)
P_20180208_061510.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points