Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you decide what jacket to wear for the day?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Just random. Sometimes I end up changing and changing, and sometimes I just give up and wear nylon jackets. I do try to wear the same jacket for two weeks in a row each time, not always but I try, to put some wear marks on them. Early fall weather isn't stable. It can be rainy and cold one day and hot the next day.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Depends on a myriad of factors.

Did I get a new jacket recently? If so, I'll wear that.

Did I get a new shirt or pair of trousers or new pair or boots? If so, I want to wear those and I'll coordinate my jacket to that.

Did I think up an outfit I'm excited about?

What's the weather like?

What's the occasion? Work/errands/party/vacation etc

There is no one system and I would imagine this is the case for most people.

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Based on my environment and what I will be doing. Going to work? Casualish till I put on my uniform. Teaching or speaking? Casual dressy. Also, very weather dependent. Lately, I prefer layers that allow flexibility whether inside or outside, colder or warmer.

El Marro

One thing I always consider when going out for the evening is whether or not I will be taking the jacket off and the chance that it might be stolen while unattended.
Last night my girlfriend and I went to a Quinceañera and I knew that we would be dancing and walking around a lot. I wore a jacket that I like but one that wouldn’t break my heart if it disappeared.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
My answer is ridiculous, but maybe some folks can relate.

Current collection of nicer leather jackets consists of a Vanson cafe racer, a Thedi Hector, a Lewis Star Lightning, a Pegasus D Pocket, and a Bill Kelso Duke. I am very happy with all of them, and with the exception of some extra long (but not egregiously so) sleeves on the Vanson, they all fit perfectly. They're all roughly as warm as each other. All of them, as is common with handmade items and products made from natural materials, have flaws or imperfections that I'm aware of and that my OCD causes me to fixate on from time to time. None of the flaws are detectable unless you're really looking for them up close, and they don't interfere with the fit, functionality, or durability of the jackets. Despite these imperfections, overall I'm very happy with all of the jackets and would be hard pressed to pick one to get rid of if I had to, or settle on one to keep if I could only keep one.

More often than not, what ends up being the tie breaker for which one I pick to wear for the day comes down to the state of my OCD. When I'm standing in front of the closet where my jackets are, If I feel like I'm gonna fixate on the freckle sized hole/scrape in the topcoat of the sleeve on that one jacket, I pick another one. For whatever reason, the funky stitch on the lapel of the other is gonna gnaw at the back of my head? Ok, not gonna wear that one today either. Etc, etc. And some days I just say to hell with it and grab my denim jacket or a harrington or a hoodie instead.

zebedee

One Too Many
It used to be easy. I just had a Corsair Bleu (a French work jacket in navy) and a goat 1950's HB with no chest pocket. With a suit, I wore a navy overcoat. It was simple and free.

Now, I have lots of jackets. As a rule with leather I won't wear a zip one to work, only a button up one, so it's a choice between a cordovan HH Maxwell, a russet steer 1920s Work Coat - or (soon) a Simmons Bilt black goat Klondike - if I'm formal but not in a suit. If I'm in a suit (half the week), I never wear a leather jacket. I never wear ties, even with a suit, unless it's a highly formal occasion, or if the suit's double-breasted. Then, a tie is necessary.

On a casual day or a weekend, I can throw a jerky Plainsman, two café racers and a Highwayman into the mix. Then, I dread the choice and the pain of freedom to choose, hahaha. Theoretically, the Bleu and the overcoat could also factor in...

So I pick one that roughly matches my belt and shoes if it's going to be a leather one. None to this is related to any sort of compulsion: I just reckon zips are bad at work.

Last edited:

Brandrea33

One Too Many
One thing I always consider when going out for the evening is whether or not I will be taking the jacket off and the chance that it might be stolen while unattended.
Last night my girlfriend and I went to a Quinceañera and I knew that we would be dancing and walking around a lot. I wore a jacket that I like but one that wouldn’t break my heart if it disappeared.
That’s an excellent point, and now that you mention it, I do subconsciously think about this as well.

sweetfights

Right?! Otherwise, I always wear or keep my high-end jacket in my physical possession. I have had friends' jackets stolen that had been left on the back of chairs or hanging up in a crowded restaurant or joint. Yes, take the jacket t you are willing to lose, worst-case scenario.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I just go with whatever jacket I feel like wearing that's appropriate for the days weather and what I plan on doing, but I will switch to a beater when I'm out in the workshop or doing yard work...etc.

El Marro

Right?! Otherwise, I always wear or keep my high-end jacket in my physical possession. I have had friends' jackets stolen that had been left on the back of chairs or hanging up in a crowded restaurant or joint. Yes, take the jacket t you are willing to lose, worst-case scenario.
That is one benefit of having a rather large collection. I have several tiers of favorites and so it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I lost something that wasn‘t too special to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy