Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you decide when it's time to sell a jacket?

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I've adored Steely Dan ever since my dad played them for me when I was in single digits. As a drummer, I marvel at the people that they were able to get to record for them! Also, the opening guitar intro for 'Don't Take Me Alive' is one of the best ever.

@nick123 I love Geddy's voice. Even if you don't like him, you can't deny that he's quite consistent live, even in his older age. He's closer to his original sound than Daltry is for example.

"Home at Last". That one killed me.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
"Home at Last". That one killed me.

That's a great one. I still remember how proud of myself I was when I could first perfectly play the Babylon Sisters beat on drums.

The full purdie shuffle is the best drum beat ever in my opinion. It took quite some time for me to do it properly. It's basically the same beat as on 'Home Again', but I learned it on 'Babylon Sisters'.

konadog

Practically Family
i like where this thread has gone.

i'm with the herd here not to sell jackets if they fit well and are nicely constructed. i sold my goat bootlegger last year to buy the MF campus jacket, thinking i needed the money. turns out i had plenty of money, but i just didn't want an argument with the wife about "how many damn jackets do you need? we live in LA for chrissakes!" i liked that jacket and kinda miss it.

so i guess the only reason to sell a jacket is if your significant other hates it or thinks you have too many. caveat: you have to actually want to keep your significant other around. in my case, we have two kids together. so yeah, i sold the jacket.

My wife has totally given up on the too many arguement. She can't, in good conscience, make that legitimate given her wardrode. My thing seems to be always looking for the "next BEST thing". Like a junkie trying to get higher b/c the last hit wasn't strong enough. So, I think, to my credit, I at least lose a little less $$ to get to the next hit. I will say, much like the recently departed Hugh Hefner, I like to sample various hides and I accept some degree of loss as part of the hobby. I've planted some roots in a couple jackets...man this is a weird ass post. I've always struggled to understand why I've fixate on stuff. Chocking it up to functional Aspergers at this point.

Last edited:
Yep, the key here is to keep her on equal footing so the only thing she has is "I don't like that one", not "you have too many".
Now, to be fair, I've been good at one in, one out and all, but I know where the hide is tanned and I just keep the scales in balance.

Yep, the key here is to keep her on equal footing so the only thing she has is "I don't like that one", not "you have too many".
Now, to be fair, I've been good at one in, one out and all, but I know where the hide is tanned and I just keep the scales in balance.
Sadly, for my poor wife, she hates all cross zips. All the jackets she loves I sold, but I also sold a fair amount she hates...I just resign myself to take a little abuse and throw a size too small CR in the mix now and again to make her think her taste might be having an effect on mine:D
The irony, of course, lies in the fact that her own leather jacket, which is her favorite, is of course a cross zip with a CR collar....so maybe a cafecto should be my next jacket?

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sadly, for my poor wife, she hates all cross zips.

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this!!

My latest discussion with my wife over jackets was her refusal to believe an interest in leather jackets can be classified as a hobby....Why that mattered I don’t really know but it was important to her for some reason. I’m sure we have all had weird “discussions” with our partners over our addiction.

Anyway, I actually had a win with this one. I googled hobby and emailed it to her lol.

“A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements.”

So this somehow justifies in her mind, me spending money and having multiple jackets lol

082de2686d7dbf3cc41c2c2cddff33b5.jpg

Not sure whether to laugh or cry at this!!

My latest discussion with my wife over jackets was her refusal to believe an interest in leather jackets can be classified as a hobby....Why that mattered I don’t really know but it was important to her for some reason. I’m sure we have all had weird “discussions” with our partners over our addiction.

Anyway, I actually had a win with this one. I googled hobby and emailed it to her lol.

“A hobby is a regular activity that is done for enjoyment, typically during one's leisure time. Hobbies can include collecting themed items and objects, engaging in creative and artistic pursuits, playing sports, or pursuing other amusements.”

So this somehow justifies in her mind, me spending money and having multiple jackets lol

082de2686d7dbf3cc41c2c2cddff33b5.jpg

I asked him personally and it's true.
Love my cheezy B-3? Right before coming into the bad place...
scott-ed-james.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner