Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do you decide when it's time to sell a jacket?

Clearly y'all don't have a 7 year old obsessed with Disney's "descendants" and the myriad of songs sung by 30 year olds pretending to be 15 year olds and the plethora of raw emotion they exude.
Went through that with two girls, now two granddaughters. FWIW though, my oldest granddaughter loves my music and a lot of the good newer stuff, so she's my fave :)

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Went through that with two girls, now two granddaughters. FWIW though, my oldest granddaughter loves my music and a lot of the good newer stuff, so she's my fave :)
Is there much good newer stuff?

I spend most of my time listening to Rush, The Who, Dire Straits, Joe Walsh, Rush, some pop punk because that's what I grew up with, and Rush.

Is there much good newer stuff?

I spend most of my time listening to Rush, The Who, Dire Straits, Joe Walsh, Rush, some pop punk because that's what I grew up with, and Rush.
Yeah, there is. But it's a lot harder to find. And when she asked me for The Beatles shirts, I was thrilled.
So I popped for a bunch of vinyl as she has a turntable, and she LOVES it. All of it is 60s and 70's too.
Did the same with my son, and I have to say, even though they may go their own ways, it does matter and they do appreciate more diverse music for it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, there is. But it's a lot harder to find. And when she asked me for The Beatles shirts, I was thrilled.
So I popped for a bunch of vinyl as she has a turntable, and she LOVES it. All of it is 60s and 70's too.
Did the same with my son, and I have to say, even though they may go their own ways, it does matter and they do appreciate more diverse music for it.
I could not agree more. My dad played me tons of classic rock, motown, R&B, and even old school country ever since I was 2 years old. I moved to more modern music after I turned 11, but now listen to a blend of late 90's and early 2000s music, modern pop punk, classic rock, and classical music.

Hell yeah Butte. We have an old record player in our foyer. Lula's first record was a heart shaped Beatles single, love, love me do.
Haven't quite made it up to I am the walrus, but the Beatles are music appreciation 101.

I have my vinyl - much of it from my younger days and working at Universal Music Group for 13 years.
I'm now putting together a system based on turntable/amp/pre-amp/speakers only. Budgeting ~$5-$6k. It's now my priority since I have seemingly given up riding for now at least. I've been jonesing for this and while I could easily say I'll drop $10k on it, I have to keep things under control.
I love vinyl - clicks, pops and all. I also love my iPhone and SONOS and all the fun, convenient new stuff, but to relax, it's the wax man, all day.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I too like Rush. Laugh all you want, but they are some talented gents who play with a lot of conviction. 2112 killed me. Put it on in my room and read the liner note booklet as I listened. Those guys could take you places. But I suppose you either loved or hated Geddy's voice. On my youtube history it's flying documentaries or Rush. What a dork. They do tap into that funny "male" part of the mind which is fascinating and hilarious. Hope Vanson does another Rush jacket.

For me, it was the Moody Blues at age 5. Cassette tapes as a 90s boy. No idea how I got into them, much less past their orchestral segments which I doubt I've ever really appreciated! But I was riding my see-saw, pulling off the bed post cap microphone singing along in my infancy like a little maniac...The Moody Blues, when rocking and rolling, were the only ones I'd put up there with the Who. They were the Who with a bit of added class. So that was my youth, then that kind of silly "punk" stuff...whatever came out in 1994 marketed as punk. I know, I know...All self-discovery from there, escaping the confines of what is expected and instead attempting to be true to my self. I learned by talking to wise people and research. Never a gig-goer...despite eternally questioning if my love of music truly exists due to usually wanting to leave concerts...coffee and music on a morning drive in a jacket give me my daily kicks. Peace.

Little myths and precinceptions of what is cool are shattered as you age. Suddenly the blue-haired guy walking down the street with his middle finger up makes much less sense than your kind high school teacher who grew up seeing X or the Descendents in Los Angeles but stayed true to his self and got a college degree. It was a trippy course for me with much learning and failure. A lot of pressure for young people today to conform. They need positive role models and need to realize they won't be 16 forever! I now listen to like Cal Tjader. Lol. But there remain two great things left in music...the Who, and the Who. :)

Last edited:
First time I ever "smoked" in ~1977, we had 2112 on. To this day, it holds a place in my grey matter that nothing else does.
Also read a couple of books by Neil Peart. Amazing tragedy in his life, and he uses the motorcycle and music as his therapy (as well as writing, of course).
I just am thankful for being around during the best decades of music. Period.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Ironically, I finally gave in to the siren call of Steely Dan last month, only to have Walter Becker bloody well up and die on me! Ah well, given that SD were never shy at recruiting and replacing people at a moment's notice, I'm sure there will be seamless transition for the next album, and if there isn't, well, then I'll be able to collect the canon and be done with it...

Ironically, I finally gave in to the siren call of Steely Dan last month, only to have Walter Becker bloody well up and die on me! Ah well, given that SD were never shy at recruiting and replacing people at a moment's notice, I'm sure there will be seamless transition for the next album, and if there isn't, well, then I'll be able to collect the canon and be done with it...
We saw them (luckily) at the opening of the Hollywood Bowl this year. WB was winded and had to sit most of the time, so it was apparent he was not in good health. They also used the LA Phil to a great extent which took some of the Steely out of the Dan, but I am grateful we got to see them. It's still my reference vinyl for buying ANYTHING audio-related.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I was reading today that Becker had been in poor health for quite a time and had recently undergone treatment for Hep C. I've got the first four albums and intend to get the last three as and when I can (I'm a committed completest...).

pgoat

One Too Many
There are lots of reasons for clothing working or not working, but in the end I think fit trumps all. I just saw on a web site where someone wrote that you'd look better in a cheap suit of mediocre wool that fits perfectly, instead of a top name suit of the best wool that fits poorly. I have to agree with that. The same is true of, say, a bicycle - Greg Lemond wrote a book back in the 1980s stating the most expensive, light weight, aerodynamic bike in the world is a waste of money if it is the wrong size for the rider.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Yes, and it's not just fit. The other obvious area people often avoid is body shape. Even if an item fits, it can still look bad if you are the wrong shape for it.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I've adored Steely Dan ever since my dad played them for me when I was in single digits. As a drummer, I marvel at the people that they were able to get to record for them! Also, the opening guitar intro for 'Don't Take Me Alive' is one of the best ever.

@nick123 I love Geddy's voice. Even if you don't like him, you can't deny that he's quite consistent live, even in his older age. He's closer to his original sound than Daltry is for example.

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I think I have come to this realisation...my 15142 A2 by Aero is superbly constructed of amazing jerky HH leather, but has just not moulded to my body shape as I had hoped. It's just not the right shape for me...I needed a jacket with a slightly longer body, much slimmer sleeves and broader shoulders. Basically, I should have ordered a Bronco! As it stands, it's just not a flattering shape on me and I haven't worn it as much as I should have done.

I guess if anyone is after a size 44 A2 in seal jerky then there will be one up for sale in the coming days...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner